Singapore Expats

Buying a left-hand drive vehicle in Singapore

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
jcsg

Buying a left-hand drive vehicle in Singapore

Post by jcsg » Wed, 14 Nov 2018 2:27 pm

I soon will be moving from Singapore to Myanmar and they have strict laws there about only being able to import left hand drive vehicles. Cars are ridiculously taxed there as well, and it makes sense if I can buy a second-hand Left-hand drive vehicle here in Sg..

I've seen them around before, but would anyone know where I should be looking to buy over a left-hand drive vehicle here?? I won't be using this vehicle here. Only to ship it over.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Buying a left-hand drive vehicle in Singapore

Post by bgd » Wed, 14 Nov 2018 2:54 pm

Interesting question. Link below indicates either no or with difficulty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving ... hand_drive

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Buying a left-hand drive vehicle in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:17 pm

The only left hand drive vehicles you might have seen in Singapore would be diplomatic plates, and those will be re-exported when the owner leaves.

You might try the official exporters found on the onemotoring website but I doubt they will be of much help.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/ ... ointed_EPZ

I doubt you are going to escape tax on your Myanmar vehicle just because you are going to personally import it. Like Singapore, Myanmar appears to imposes taxes and fees on personally imported vehicles, such that your costs will be nearly the same as if you had purchased there. You should verify this before proceeding with your importation plans.

Finally, within the region, Thailand is the only place in the region you will find significant numbers of left hand drive cars, even though it is a right hand drive country, mainly due to its proximity to Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia, all left hand drive.