Singapore Expats

Is This Legal? Quick Query

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
SmokeyPutnam

Is This Legal? Quick Query

Post by SmokeyPutnam » Mon, 12 Nov 2018 7:48 pm

I operate short term study courses in the UK for students in Asia, these courses run not unlike a 'summer camp'. I have a request from a number of institutions in China to run a 'summer camp' in Singapore. Logistically Its fine, but I'm not sure of the legal parameters I'm to stay within. Here's a more detailed plan: I would arrange for a number of students from China to come to Singapore and stay at one of the many boarding school hostels. Here I would arrange English classes for them and then excursions in the afternoon, this would run for 2 weeks. What laws could I be breaking potentially, if any.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Is This Legal? Quick Query

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Nov 2018 9:15 pm

No laws broken if you do it right, many laws broken if you do it wrong.

Essentials:

a) Form a legal entity for your tuition business, apply and receive permission to live and work in Singapore running that business.

b) Conform to all of the regulations promulgated by the Ministry of Education for offering study courses.

There is a lot of information in these forums for a), less for b), but still quite a bit, as well as individuals knowledgeable in the field.

tanleeandchoo

Post by tanleeandchoo » Fri, 28 Dec 2018 1:57 pm

I don't know its legal or illegal which is doing by you. you may concern with a lawyer that can tell is this legal or illegal.

{Post sanitized by moderator}

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Fri, 28 Dec 2018 2:32 pm

I suggest that I would not select a Lawyer that posts on an expat forum with the express aim of circumventing the anti-spam requirements and posting.

Funny that the username is the same as the Law Firm - what a coincidence. I would take that as a warning if I was selecting a Lawyer.