Singapore Expats

Can I be exempted from NS?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
kaiyuairv

Can I be exempted from NS?

Post by kaiyuairv » Sat, 03 Nov 2018 3:56 am

Hello, I would like like some advice on how I could be exempted from NS/Renounce Singapore citizenship.(If I could be exempted from NS)

I am currently 14 years old this year.I was born in Singapore while both of my parents migrated from China to Singapore. When I was 2 or 3 years old I lived with my relatives in China for about a year.
I currently have a Singapore passport and I'm not sure whether I ever had a China passport. Both my parents have a Singapore passport ( actually I'm not too sure on this ) and I am unsure whether they still have their China passports.
I moved to Germany around January 2016 when I was 12 years old and I'm currently living here with my mom, stepsister and stepdad. ( My parents are divorced ) While my father lives in Singapore with my sister.
I actually never knew about the whole exit pass situation but I'm pretty sure I have one since I visited Singapore a few times in the last few years without problems.

Is there any way for me to be exempted from NS since it's such a complicated process and if I become a PR of Germany can I denounce my singapore passport or do I have to get citizenship? Also will NS be abolished and made voluntary within the next 4 years? Just asking for an opinion. Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Can I be exempted from NS?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Nov 2018 12:58 pm

If your mother was a Singapore Citizen and your Birth Cert says you are a SG Citizen at birth then there is absolutely no way you will be able to be exempted from NS. Additionally, you cannot renounce your citizenship in Singapore until you have done NS by law. If you gain citizenship in another country while holding Sg Citizenship it is against Singapore law and then you compound your problem by being both a deserter and illegally holding two different passports as Singapore only allows single citizenship with only one exception at that is when you are born to two different nationalities (e.g., your mother is a Singapore Citizenship and your father is PRC AT THE TIME OF YOUR BIRTH). Then and only then are your allowed dual citizenship up to the age of 21 when you have to make a choice (but if you are a male you are also required to do NS regardless of your dual citizenship.

And no, Becoming a PR of any country does not mean you can give up your citizenship as you would then be a stateless person (PR is NOT citizenship).

Also no, NS will never be abolished nor made voluntary in the next 4 years or the next 40 years as if they did, there would be no one to defend the country and you would all be Malaysian Citizens.

The best thing you can do is get your mind prepared for NS and also prepare to live with your Dad & sister for two years while you do NS. Otherwise, you will find yourself in a heap of Sh*t. Serious Sh*t. Sh*t you really don't want or need. Seriously.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kaiyuairv

Post by kaiyuairv » Sat, 03 Nov 2018 6:11 pm

Well I guess I just have to suck it up for 2 years or share the same fate as Kevin Kwan xD. But let's say Singapore does get invaded and I was living overseas at the time. The last thing I would do would be to rush back to Singapore with my feeble 2 years of basic military training. Just a thought. Anyways thanks for the reply.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Nov 2018 7:57 pm

You would be surprised what two years of 'feeble' military training will teach you. First of all, it will make a man out of a little boy. Secondly, you would be surprised at what you will be capable of doing. I enlisted at the age of 17. On my 18th birthday, I earned my Warrant Officer bars and pilot's wings (with nothing but an A level equivalent education - High School - 12 years). I survived 18 months in Vietnam and I'm 71 today and have been all over the world and could tell you stories you won't believe or forget. Hopefully, in the next 2.5 years, you will grow some cojones and take care of your obligation rather than screwing up rest of your life by being a deserter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kaiyuairv

Post by kaiyuairv » Sat, 03 Nov 2018 8:22 pm

Well I don't really define becoming a "man" as taking two years off my life doing military service and also becoming a "man" hasn't been on my list of priorities. The reason why I don't want to do NS isn't because I'm too scared to do some hard physical training for 2 years. I would do something even more challenging if I was passionate about it. As a 14 year old I have already hiked up a few mountains and walked over 30 kilometres in 2 days carrying a heavy-ass camping bag as a school activity. My problem is that I don't want to spend 2 years on military when I could be doing something I wanted to do. This 2 years that I will later spend in military will cause me to give up on a dream that I have coveted ever since I was young.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 Nov 2018 9:14 am

You need to get out of a house full of women as you sure sound like one. Explain to use how a 20 month delay will derail a life time dream?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!