Singapore Expats

Converting US Bachelor's Degree to UK Equivalent

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sonoftexas

Converting US Bachelor's Degree to UK Equivalent

Post by sonoftexas » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 11:53 am

In the government form for the Pre-marriage Assessment, it asks for your highest qualification earned. There's no option for just "Bachelor's", but it has all the Honours I, Honours II, etc. which are not used in the US. I have a Bachelor's Magna Cum Laude, GPA ~3.89. Can I just put Honours II or Honours I and be done with it?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Converting US Bachelor's Degree to UK Equivalent

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 2:41 pm

The British Honours system is a grading system as well.....
A bachelor's degree can be an honours degree (bachelor's with honours) or an ordinary degree (bachelor's without honours). Honours degrees are classified, usually based on a weighted average (with higher weight given to marks in the later years of the course, and often zero weight to those in the first year) of the marks gained in exams and other assessments. Grade boundaries can vary by institution, but typical values are given below.

First-class honours (1st, 1 or I) – typically 70% or higher
Second-class honours;
Upper division (2:1, 2i or II-1) – typically 60–69%
Lower division (2:2, 2ii or II-2) – typically 50–59%
Third-class honours (3rd, 3 or III) – typically 40–49%
Students who do not achieve honours may be awarded an ordinary degree, sometimes known as a "pass".

The US "Cum Laude" is similar but a wee bit different...
What is Cum Laude: Graduating With Honor means graduating cum laude. What does cum laude mean? Translators define cum laude as With Praise. Cum laude honors, graduated with honors, graduation honors, and graduate cum laude all involve a high GPA.

Graduating With Honors Requirements: Graduation with honors cum laude requirements vary. Cum laude grade point average estimates: gpa for cum laude - 3.5 to 3.7; gpa for magna cum laude - 3.8 to 3.9; gpa for summa cum laude - 4.0+. Magna cum laude gpa and summa cum laude gpa can tie, broken by additional factors.

So, between these two you should be able to see where you can reach across the pond for the equivalent British term to equal the Latin term used in the US.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers