Singapore Expats

Renew EP or apply new EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
adamlike

Renew EP or apply new EP

Post by adamlike » Wed, 17 Oct 2018 5:01 pm

Hi All,

I am in a unique postion.

I am on EP in singapore and my EP will expire on 1st Feb 2019.

I recently got a job in Company A. They were having getting EP in past (took more than 2 months) because of bad foreigner to local ratio. Now they hired an agency on whose name my EP will be issued.

The problem is agency says they need to post ad on Job banks for 14 days then they will apply ie in first week of November and then I have to wait for EP.

My current employer will apply renewal around mid november (1st Dec is deadline by MOM to apply renewal fo rmr) . MOM has rule that it does no allow simultaneous more than one application for a person so my issue is if my new employer apply for EP and it gets rejected and my old employer cannot apply for renewal then I will be in trouble.

So I want to ask should I get my renewal done first and then apply for new EP or just directly apply for new EP and leave renewal?

MY profile
Job - Software engineer
Salary - 6700 monthly
Work Ex - 2 years in Singapore (total also 2 years)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Renew EP or apply new EP

Post by bgd » Thu, 18 Oct 2018 9:27 am

There is no quota for EP so your statement about Company A is wrong - quota is for SPass. Maybe best to stay with your present employer.

adamlike

Post by adamlike » Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:43 pm

bgd wrote:There is no quota for EP so your statement about Company A is wrong - quota is for SPass. Maybe best to stay with your present employer.

Actually not about quota. Its about ratio. Company A has a bady ratio of foreigner to local so it takes them around 2-3 months to get an EP done.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Oct 2018 1:09 pm

You're going down a treacherous road if the solution for company A is to hire you through a body shop. Unless this is a job just to good to be true, the risks of you having no EP seem too large to warrant not waiting for your existing EP to be renewed, then going after another job.

Two strikes against Company A (and you)... too many foreigners already, and they think they are going to sneak you in under a contract where you're actually employed by a body shop. Strike two: From the posts on the board, it seems like to gahmen doesn't like body shops very much at all... lots of people have waited months for that EP. So, even after the wait to clear the jobs bank, you may still find yourself waiting for a long time.

adamlike

Post by adamlike » Thu, 18 Oct 2018 3:35 pm

@strong Eagle.

Okay I got a way around, I am asking my current employer to renew a bit early and then Company A can apply.

I have one question. Company A did apply previously but withdrew it because they came to know that ratio is a problem and EP will not be issued early. I want to know while applying for renewal can my current employer see that I have an application withdrawn in past?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Oct 2018 9:09 pm

Here's the deal. This so called "ratio" problem doesn't officially exist. There is no difference between a quota and a ratio when the effect is the same... the gahmen saying you have to have x local workers for every y foreign workers.

EP's do not have a quota system. If Company A has a "ratio problem", it means they have gotten onto the gahmen's radar for abusive hiring practices. It means that the company has been hiring far too many foreigners, most likely from the subcontinent, perverting the idea that EP's exist as a means of augmenting local talent, not replacing it. I'd be hard pressed to go near Company A.

I don't believe that your current employer can see a withdrawn application but SMS can confirm that.

adamlike

Post by adamlike » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 3:11 am

@Strong Eagle

I got your point but Company A profile is very good, culture work etc. So I am keen on joining it.

One more thing Once I have renewal IPA, Can Company A apply for epass or I need to get IPA changed to new EP (and can it be done immediately)? before Company A can apply for an epass?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Oct 2018 9:05 pm

Yes, a current employer can see a pending application as well as a withdrawn application. However, at no time can your existing employer see WHO/what company applied for or withdrew the pass.

A renewal does not give you an new EP, it just renews your old one. Yes you get a new card, but it the same EP. There is no issue with your prospective employer applying for a new pass. at any point as long as your old pass remains valid, (and it does until it expires or is replaced before actual expiry.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

adamlike

Post by adamlike » Sat, 20 Oct 2018 10:18 pm

@SMS I got it.

I just asked because I have read posts where people said you need to get your IPA converted to EP before another employer can apply for pass ( like this viewtopic.php?t=114545 ) but as you said it is a diferent case with renewal am I right?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Oct 2018 8:55 am

correct.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

adamlike

Post by adamlike » Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:48 pm

@SMS and Strong Eagle,

Thank you for your help guys :D :D :D