Singapore Expats

Maximum Occupant in HDB

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
konzen1314

Maximum Occupant in HDB

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 1:46 pm

Dear All,

Would like to get advice from your all about maximum occupant in the HDB.
I got main tenant who rent the whole unit HDB (3 rooms) unit and sub-leased to me and my wife a room.
And another room which lived by one tenant. The main tenant is a couple. So total 5 people in the house. This unit is old type HDB which there is no master room and only one unit of bathroom.
The real situation kicks in, the main tenant bring over her family to stay in the HDB. They are from Philippines and there are 3 additions adults and one baby. Which makes total 8 adults and one baby. I would like to ask is this legal? I am frustrated because I felt it is overcrowd and since there is only one bathroom, it caused exceptionally inconvenience to us. They wash clothes everyday and keep making the hanging area occupied. My wife and I hardly able to squeeze place to hang clothes.. i would like to ask, is she having the right to invite them over? Also, since ICA permit for 30days visit and they planned to stay over for 30 days ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) i need advice from you guys.. hopefully you guys can help! #-o #-o

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Maximum Occupant in HDB

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 2:06 pm

konzen1314 wrote:Dear All,

Would like to get advice from your all about maximum occupant in the HDB.
I got main tenant who rent the whole unit HDB (3 rooms) unit and sub-leased to me and my wife a room.
And another room which lived by one tenant. The main tenant is a couple. So total 5 people in the house. This unit is old type HDB which there is no master room and only one unit of bathroom.
The real situation kicks in, the main tenant bring over her family to stay in the HDB. They are from Philippines and there are 3 additions adults and one baby. Which makes total 8 adults and one baby. I would like to ask is this legal? I am frustrated because I felt it is overcrowd and since there is only one bathroom, it caused exceptionally inconvenience to us. They wash clothes everyday and keep making the hanging area occupied. My wife and I hardly able to squeeze place to hang clothes.. i would like to ask, is she having the right to invite them over? Also, since ICA permit for 30days visit and they planned to stay over for 30 days ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) i need advice from you guys.. hopefully you guys can help! #-o #-o
Why dont you directly talk to the main tenant and say this is not acceptable.

Read the below

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/press ... -hdb-flats

konzen1314

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 2:24 pm

Bro, thank you for your information. I have come across this website from hdb as well. However, it is only mentioned on tenants. Since they are not consider as tenants (additional 3 adults + one baby) so is this still applied? They are considered as guests in this case.. It seems like there is a gray area here for us to argue..

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 2:50 pm

konzen1314 wrote:Bro, thank you for your information. I have come across this website from hdb as well. However, it is only mentioned on tenants. Since they are not consider as tenants (additional 3 adults + one baby) so is this still applied? They are considered as guests in this case.. It seems like there is a gray area here for us to argue..
Please think logically. It cant mean that 6 tenants and unlimited guests can stay in the same HDB.

So tenants = occupants + guests ( at any point of time)

adeline.35

Post by adeline.35 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 3:33 pm

In the first place, main tenant are not suppose to sublease for HDB.

Did you sign your rental contract with main tenant or the HDB owner?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

konzen1314

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 3:48 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
konzen1314 wrote:Bro, thank you for your information. I have come across this website from hdb as well. However, it is only mentioned on tenants. Since they are not consider as tenants (additional 3 adults + one baby) so is this still applied? They are considered as guests in this case.. It seems like there is a gray area here for us to argue..
Please think logically. It cant mean that 6 tenants and unlimited guests can stay in the same HDB.

So tenants = occupants + guests ( at any point of time)
you are right! it is totally make senses. In this case, they are violating the rules set by HDB.. i guess there is no other way except discuss this issue to them. they are taking this as granted by saving money on hotel without considering other ppl feeling and causing trouble to others.. :cry: :cry: hopefully they are understanding and make it easier for all of us..

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 3:49 pm

adeline.35 wrote:In the first place, main tenant are not suppose to sublease for HDB.

If the owner agrees, they can sublet.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 4:07 pm

konzen1314,

You mentioned "whole unit HDB (3 rooms) unit".

It is a 3-room flat type or the HDB has 3 bedroom.

Reason I ask because in HDB term - 3 room flat type mean 2 bedroom + 1 living hall.
HDB count living hall as 1 room

Same goes for 4 room flat type - 3 rooms + 1 living hall.

konzen1314

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 4:11 pm

adeline.35 wrote:In the first place, main tenant are not suppose to sublease for HDB.

The owner allowed it and owner is aware of my existence. I have submitted photocopy of my passport and EP pass to owner for registration with HDB. So i guess for my case, it shouldn't be a problem. However, for now major concern is the house is overload with people and resources are not sufficient to accommodate all our demands.. imagine there is 9ppl in the house with one toilet and one hanging area.. they practically washing clothes EVERYDAY because of baby clothes and their clothes.. It leaves us no chance to do our laundry comfortably.. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) i wonder if i can report to HDB if they are not taking care of my advice or not going to tolerate with us..

konzen1314

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 4:14 pm

therat wrote:konzen1314,

You mentioned "whole unit HDB (3 rooms) unit".

It is a 3-room flat type or the HDB has 3 bedroom.

Reason I ask because in HDB term - 3 room flat type mean 2 bedroom + 1 living hall.
HDB count living hall as 1 room

Same goes for 4 room flat type - 3 rooms + 1 living hall.
It is HDB unit with 3 bedroom + 1 living room. For the 3 bedroom, since it is old type of HDB, 2 of the rooms are same in size meanwhile last room is a very small unit (seems like store room) so I am not really confirm whether this small room is considered as room or bunker..Also do take note that the 2 main rooms do not have any toilet attached.. so there is only 1 toilet sharing across next to the kitchen.. hope this can helps you to understand more on my current situation.. :wink: :wink: please advise if you have any good suggestion..

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 4:26 pm

last room is a very small unit (seems like store room) -> is it located at the back of the kitchen?

If yes, that is not bedroom, that is extra room that HDB build in the later stage.
And if yes again for that extra room, it is a 3 room flat type.

I never come across or heard 4 room flat type only have 1 shared toilet.
Only old 3 room flat type has this flat map.

i wonder if i can report to HDB if they are not taking care of my advice or not going to tolerate with us..
==> Yes, you can give HDB a call but we will not know what will be the outcome.

(edit for typo correction)

konzen1314

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 4:35 pm

therat wrote:last room is a very small unit (seems like store room) -> is it located at the back of the kitchen?

If yes, that is not bedroom, that is extra room that HDB build in the later stage.

i wonder if i can report to HDB if they are not taking care of my advice or not going to tolerate with us..

yes it is location at the back of the kitchen.. it is a small room so i also not really sure whether this considered as room or bunker or what else.. But i would say that this unit should be maximum of 6 tenants (including guests) as it will not be limited at 4 people because when we sign the contract that time, we have register 5 people..and the contract will subjected with stamping, so if 5 people is over the limit, i guess the agent, HDB and owner will not allow it.. so safely bet maximum tenant for this unit is 6 people..

At this moment, i have dropped an email to HDB asking for their advice.. they have not get back to me on this matter.. if they really say this is not OK, then i guess i will show them the email and let me decide what they want to do.. I just want to live peacefully there.. :cry:

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 4:45 pm

Let wait for HDB reply and hope it will address your concern.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 5:01 pm

konzen1314 wrote:
therat wrote:last room is a very small unit (seems like store room) -> is it located at the back of the kitchen?

yes it is location at the back of the kitchen.. it is a small room so i also not really sure whether this considered as room or bunker or what else.. But i would say that this unit should be maximum of 6 tenants (including guests) as it will not be limited at 4 people because when we sign the contract that time, we have register 5 people..and the contract will subjected with stamping, so if 5 people is over the limit, i guess the agent, HDB and owner will not allow it.. so safely bet maximum tenant for this unit is 6 people..

At this moment, i have dropped an email to HDB asking for their advice.. they have not get back to me on this matter.. if they really say this is not OK, then i guess i will show them the email and let me decide what they want to do.. I just want to live peacefully there.. :cry:
Why did you not going to the agent first before going to HDB?

konzen1314

Post by konzen1314 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 5:23 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
konzen1314 wrote:

Why did you not going to the agent first before going to HDB?
The agent useless one.. Not cooperative at all.. When ask her something it takes forever to reply and confirm.. But in your case, you advise me to go to agent instead of hdb? But rest assured that I go to hdb asking about general enquiries only.. Not reporting them