Singapore Expats

Canada PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Canada PR

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:32 pm

Just curious, are there people here who are frustrated with SG's PR policies and considering other countries, like Canada for example?

Now that Australia and UK have tightened immigration, Canada seems to be the last country still accepting PRs and there is a good chance with the express entry.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Canada PR

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 6:32 am

Except there's no work there.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 10:25 am

I looked at Canada years ago. Nice country, friendly people but a crap climate. I had friends in Toronto and Calgary so visited both places, summer and winter. Loved Calgary, Toronto reminded me of Canary Wharf. I was in London at the time and it was booming so didn't follow through with the Canada thing. No regrets.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 10:39 am

Yes, weather is my biggest issue. Australia has lovely weather. But I feel Australia is kind of isolated and if a recession hits it will be very bad. Canada has trade ties with US and it is easier to move to US.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 3:57 pm

Coincidentally found this article:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/08/ ... r-techies/

American jobs can move to Canada as Trump makes immigration difficult.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 8:53 pm

The only reason to migrate to Canada is for your children or if you are just starting your work life. All the adults I know who migrated there as professionals have taken a massive step back career wise. The three people I know who have done OK moved there in their 20's.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 9:04 pm

PNGMK wrote:The only reason to migrate to Canada is for your children or if you are just starting your work life. All the adults I know who migrated there as professionals have taken a massive step back career wise. The three people I know who have done OK moved there in their 20's.
Thanks, my career here isn't exactly flourishing either. If I can find a job of 100k with good work life balance, that would be great. Yes, it is for my daughter. My(and my wife's) life is pretty much set. I have made my dough and I can live anywhere. I would like to have a first world passport for my daughter. If Singapore would have given us PR, that would have been ultimate.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 9:24 pm

hahahahah 100k?

Seriously you'll be lucky if you land a job at all.. I know experienced engineers who could only find drafting jobs there for their first decade. The median salary is ~CDN70,000. Remember you'll be discriminated against, taken advantage of and have no paper quals worth wiping your ass with there. Housing is EXPENSIVE if you want to live within 1 hr commute of anywhere there is work (CDN $1.5MM for a small house) . Toronto has people commuting 90 mins one way so they can live in a shitty condo that they can barely afford. There is an extreme housing shortage in some of their cities. With a left wing govt it's not going to get better - they will spend the country into debt while simultaneously freezing the large scale projects their economy needs (i.e. pipelines, oil exploration, roads etc). I loved Canada but be realistic please.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 10:15 pm

PNGMK wrote:hahahahah 100k?

Seriously you'll be lucky if you land a job at all.. I know experienced engineers who could only find drafting jobs there for their first decade. The median salary is ~CDN70,000. Remember you'll be discriminated against, taken advantage of and have no paper quals worth wiping your ass with there. Housing is EXPENSIVE if you want to live within 1 hr commute of anywhere there is work (CDN $1.5MM for a small house) . Toronto has people commuting 90 mins one way so they can live in a shitty condo that they can barely afford. There is an extreme housing shortage in some of their cities. With a left wing govt it's not going to get better - they will spend the country into debt while simultaneously freezing the large scale projects their economy needs (i.e. pipelines, oil exploration, roads etc). I loved Canada but be realistic please.
Thanks, appreciate it!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:45 am

I'm not saying it's impossible but you must prepare to take a step back in your career and it might be a step back you can never recover from. IF you can afford to buy a house outright in an area that has low unemployment then you may be ok although the costs of food, power and heating are significant in Canada. I personally would consider only the West side (BC or Alberta that is Vancouver or Edmonton) but Vancouver is overrun with Honkies, Koreans and Continentals who have priced the housing market into the stratosphere. Toronto is tapped out housing wise and employment wise. The francophone area (Montreal / Quebec) will be hostile to you and the areas further north just get worse for work unless you're into ag or fishing or timber which I assume you're not.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:45 am

If I were to make the move, I'd look at Calgary Alberta, the oil capital of Canada, and with a population of 1.2 million, the third largest city in the country. In addition to oil, I think they have a fairly robust financial services industry. Housing used to be hellishly expensive in Calgary because of misguided attempts to control growth... I think housing there is about double what median costs are in Houston. Then again, you can be a suburban commuter.

The other place to consider would be Winnepeg, Manitoba. It's about 710,000 population. It's economic engine is based around natural resources... timber, mining, agriculture. Can't tell you much about housing.

I was born and raised in Canada... left Calgary at age 14. Summers are purely gorgeous. Spring and fall are to die for. Unfortunately, they are also short. Don't be surprised to see a shitpot of snow by the end of September, and it may hang around until mid April. It can get very cold... we didn't have to go to school when temps dropped to -30F... a fairly rare occurence... but you will take warm parkas, long johns, winter hats, and block heaters for your car all as part of the living experience. You may even start to say, "Ey?" a lot.

As a boy I like growing up in Canada. Winter activities can be a lot of fun, from skiing to snowmobiling. As an adult, I'd be hard pressed to want to live through the winters... with very short periods of daylight... unless Trump totally f*cks up the USA.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Tue, 16 Oct 2018 8:39 pm

I know a few people who migrated to Canada. Their experiences varied. One was an engineer here but when he landed in Canada, his first job was below his qualifications. Another went there through an intra-company transfer. He did well since his seniority within the company was recognized.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Oct 2018 8:35 am

bro75 wrote:I know a few people who migrated to Canada. Their experiences varied. One was an engineer here but when he landed in Canada, his first job was below his qualifications. Another went there through an intra-company transfer. He did well since his seniority within the company was recognized.
An interco transfer is definitely the way to do it.

subashgk007
Regular
Regular

Post by subashgk007 » Sat, 20 Oct 2018 8:38 pm

Yes, Canada and Australia is still more feasible compared to Singapore. My thoughts below

1) Uncertainty in SG for Indian IT professionals : Though i am earning 120k/annum, not confident enough to wait for SG PR and doesn't want Australia/Canada to close their doors against foreigners. Eg:

a. Recently my PR friend reached out to me for a job referral. He is here for past 8 years.
b. Another indian colleague, completed his masters in SG and working here for past 10 years for, earns around 144k/year and owns a condo in pasir ris, still denied SG PR for 3rd time
c. One guy from South India with his wife, both in to IT, earning 7.5k/month each, here in SG for last 6 years, application for SG PR denied for 4th time.
d. MY IELTS classmate, here in SG for 15 years, PR for last 6 years, prefers Canadaian citizenship over Singapore passport.

It's not an offense, just made the statement. SG has full rights to be selective, it's just matter of perception.

2) Australia hasn't closed their doors yet :
They just tightened the points criteria.

I would prefer Australia over canada because of the reasons which i think more important for me.

a) Travel time: From Singapore hardly it takes 4 hours to reach any of the Indian airports.

I am based out of kerala, coimbatore/kochi is the closest airport. Canada is really far to get a flight in case of any emergency. Really cannot wait 15-21 hours. 8-10 hours from Australia seems more feasible for me, even if i could reach SG as part of connection flight, i have daily flights twice as part of layover.

b) Canada climate sucks : In every aspect.

c) Points system is clear enough: CLB system of canada is tricky.

For both countries, IELTS play master role for both countries. I have managed to get overall 8 with 1 week of practice from youtube channels, Now i am attending my weekend classes in Ascend education near clarke quay to take it to 8 in all 4 individual modules.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Oct 2018 7:16 am

Good luck. I think you'll be fine in Australia. Avoid companies where the subconns have gotten into HR and management positions. They have taken their nepotistic practices to Australia so be prepared to 'pay' for a job (one month per year roughly).