Singapore Expats

I am a DP pass holder .Can i start selling Indian snacks in Singapore through Facebook?

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
nandini119

I am a DP pass holder .Can i start selling Indian snacks in Singapore through Facebook?

Post by nandini119 » Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:00 pm

I am a Dependant pass holder who came to Singapore 3 months back. I want to start a small scale business in which i will prepare some Indian snacks and sell them. I am planning to create a facebook page and take orders through posts. Once i get amount to my account, i will parcel the snacks to the address mentioned. Do i need to take any permissions from Singapore government to do this

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: I am a DP pass holder .Can i start selling Indian snacks in Singapore through Facebook?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 1:21 am

The first thing you will need (and the biggest hurdle) is a legal entity (sole proprietorship or private limited) and a work permit (LOC or EP) for you to be legally able to work in Singapore. On a DP, you cannot simply start up a business of any kind.

If you are selling foods, there are a myriad of regulations that must be met. I know little of the regulations... you might check here for more info... https://www.ava.gov.sg/explore-by-sections/food and https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/07/ ... t-in-2019/

AJI85

Re: I am a DP pass holder .Can i start selling Indian snacks in Singapore through Facebook?

Post by AJI85 » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 4:36 pm

but is it not true that if i dont publicize my business and just selling to friends and to limited people i can still do that. As in i dont need place for commercial setup or for cooking at big level?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 5:39 pm

No, it is not true, no more than MLM sellers who trick their friends into buying/joining their downlines. It's all business if money changes hands, either figuratively, or electronically.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AJI85

Post by AJI85 » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 6:02 pm

I didn't mean any MLM kinda business. What I meant for an example; my friend who is a DP holder and he wants to do something as he is not working. Now he bakes very good and wants to sell home made cakes, cookies muffins kinda stuff and I'm his friend so can buy from him. For this does he need any permit? Is it allowed?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 9:44 pm

AJI85 wrote:I didn't mean any MLM kinda business. What I meant for an example; my friend who is a DP holder and he wants to do something as he is not working. Now he bakes very good and wants to sell home made cakes, cookies muffins kinda stuff and I'm his friend so can buy from him. For this does he need any permit? Is it allowed?
If he gets caught operating this business without a legal entity and without the proper permits, he will be fined. It is illegal to work in any business, including your own, on a DP, without permission (LOC).

So... if you bake up a couple dozen cookies every once in a while, probably no one knows and no one catches him. Start selling dozens of cookies each day, especially in a public place, and watch out.

AJI85

Post by AJI85 » Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:52 am

Thx for clarification..It helps.May I know if a DP or EP holder can get LOC ? Or it's available to only PR and citizens.
Is there another way of doing business like partner with localite or PR? Anything

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:00 pm

AJI85 wrote:Thx for clarification..It helps.May I know if a DP or EP holder can get LOC ? Or it's available to only PR and citizens.
Is there another way of doing business like partner with localite or PR? Anything
a) Only a DP or LTVP can apply for and get a LOC. EP's cannot work for anyone else, including themselves.

b) You must have a legal entity to do business in Singapore, and it is that legal entity that will apply for the LOC.

c) It is easier for a citizen or PR to setup the legal entity and apply for the LOC than if a DP tries to do it all herself.