Singapore Expats

When to apply for PR (before/after ROM?)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
shiracha

When to apply for PR (before/after ROM?)

Post by shiracha » Thu, 11 Oct 2018 11:05 am

A little background here

I am a male chinese SC, 29 y.o. planning to ROM to my E-Pass holder fiancée next year Dec (2019).
She is 29 y.o, been studying in sg since 15 y.o ( good sec school and JC), completed her degree in one of the 3 local unis. She has been working in SG for 5 years on EPass and tried to apply for PR 3 years ago but got rejected. We suspect because her salary is not in the high range (2800 at that time)

We want to get a HDB flat and it would be best if she could get PR as we are planning to have our little family here.

The question we have now is comparing if she tries to apply PR now or after we are married, will the chance improve drastically? If so, how long should we wait after ROM to start applying for PR (3 months/6 months/1 year).
Would be nice if we could settle the house part right after our marriage but i guess in this case it is not so possible.

Also, is it wise for her to try to apply PR now? what are the chance for her given that her ethnic is not chinese.

Really appreciate if anyone can share some insight.

Thank you.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: When to apply for PR (before/after ROM?)

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 11 Oct 2018 4:04 pm

shiracha wrote:A little background here

I am a male chinese SC, 29 y.o. planning to ROM to my E-Pass holder fiancée next year Dec (2019).
She is 29 y.o, been studying in sg since 15 y.o ( good sec school and JC), completed her degree in one of the 3 local unis. She has been working in SG for 5 years on EPass and tried to apply for PR 3 years ago but got rejected. We suspect because her salary is not in the high range (2800 at that time)

We want to get a HDB flat and it would be best if she could get PR as we are planning to have our little family here.

The question we have now is comparing if she tries to apply PR now or after we are married, will the chance improve drastically? If so, how long should we wait after ROM to start applying for PR (3 months/6 months/1 year).
Would be nice if we could settle the house part right after our marriage but i guess in this case it is not so possible.

Also, is it wise for her to try to apply PR now? what are the chance for her given that her ethnic is not chinese.

Really appreciate if anyone can share some insight.

Thank you.
After ROM she needs to wait for at least 2 years before she has a decent chance for PR or till you have a kid (whichever happens first). This is applicable only if you sponsor her for PR.

Where is she from? What is her current salary and job?

shiracha

Post by shiracha » Thu, 11 Oct 2018 4:14 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
After ROM she needs to wait for at least 2 years before she has a decent chance for PR or till you have a kid (whichever happens first). This is applicable only if you sponsor her for PR.

Hi there, she is from Vietnam, currently working as a senior associate in a start-up firm, annual salary around 40k, her industry generally doesn't pay well. Her take is that even after ROM she would like to try applying PR on her own merit first but.

We are not sure how the sponsor for PR application works actually, will the chance be higher?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 11 Oct 2018 4:19 pm

shiracha wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Hi there, she is from Vietnam, currently working as a senior associate in a start-up firm, annual salary around 40k, her industry generally doesn't pay well. Her take is that even after ROM she would like to try applying PR on her own merit first but.

We are not sure how the sponsor for PR application works actually, will the chance be higher?
If her salary was around 60K she could have applied on her own and would have a decent chance. But looks like she has to wait for 2 years after marriage to apply for PR with you as the sponsor.

SaraAbdul

Post by SaraAbdul » Fri, 12 Oct 2018 9:20 am

shiracha wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Hi, it will be hard for her to apply base on her own merit, her background really not help, historically in scam marriage, and include her pay salary will be tough for her. i would suggest you to sponsor her PR after marriage to have a decent chance.
All the best!

talk007

Post by talk007 » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 6:21 pm

do you know that even after getting your PRs, you have to wait for another 3 years to buy hdb flat?

feanor

Post by feanor » Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:03 am

talk007 wrote:do you know that even after getting your PRs, you have to wait for another 3 years to buy hdb flat?
OP is Singaporean, the 3 years rule only applies when both are PRs

shiracha

Post by shiracha » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 6:20 pm

Hi all, my fiancee had decided to apply PR on her own (before we register our marriage) , current status is pending.

After we ROM, should she contact ICA to update on her marital status? Will it make any differences? Any form of info update is by email correspondence?

Thank you in advance!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 6:28 pm

shiracha wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 6:20 pm
Hi all, my fiancee had decided to apply PR on her own (before we register our marriage) , current status is pending.

After we ROM, should she contact ICA to update on her marital status? Will it make any differences? Any form of info update is by email correspondence?

Thank you in advance!
Surely need to update ICA. But wont add any positive to the application unless both of you are married for atleast 2 years.

shiracha

Post by shiracha » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 6:50 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 6:28 pm
shiracha wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 6:20 pm

Thank you in advance!
Surely need to update ICA. But wont add any positive to the application unless both of you are married for atleast 2 years.
Thank you for the reply. Guess there are too many marriages of convenience around which might make ICA more stringent on this (which is actually quite unfair for genuine couple who want to build a family here though, speaking from my own perspective because as a citizen, i dont have the same kind of options for housing like my peers whom are married to sc/pr).
Guess we will just have to wait patiently and see.

shiracha

Post by shiracha » Fri, 17 Feb 2023 2:04 pm

Hi all, so we have been married for over 3 years now and my wife has been on LTVP.
Our daughter was born in Oct 2021 and I applied PR for my wife the following month ( thinking that with a child, our chance would be higher. Plus we had been married for close to 2 years at that time).
June 2022, we received a request from ICA for her family's CV and we followed up within a week. My salary was also increased (from 6k to 7.5k) so we updated ICA at the same time.
Forward to now, it has been 15 months and we have not heard anything from ICA.
Both our salary was recently increased (insignificantly, +500/per person). I was wondering should we do another round of update to ICA or should we just patiently wait for the outcome?

Husband: 34 yo, SC chinese (salary 8k)
Wife: 34yo, Vietnamese, staying in Singapore 19 years (salary 4.3k)
Daughter: 1yo, SC
ROM Dec 2019
Bought HDB resale and been staying there since Apr 2020
1st PR application Jan 2020, rejected Mar/Apr 2021 (can't rmb the exact time)
2nd PR application Nov 2021, pending.

Your input and advice are welcomed. Thank you in advance

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 17 Feb 2023 5:03 pm

shiracha wrote:
Fri, 17 Feb 2023 2:04 pm
Hi all, so we have been married for over 3 years now and my wife has been on LTVP.
Our daughter was born in Oct 2021 and I applied PR for my wife the following month ( thinking that with a child, our chance would be higher. Plus we had been married for close to 2 years at that time).
June 2022, we received a request from ICA for her family's CV and we followed up within a week. My salary was also increased (from 6k to 7.5k) so we updated ICA at the same time.
Forward to now, it has been 15 months and we have not heard anything from ICA.
Both our salary was recently increased (insignificantly, +500/per person). I was wondering should we do another round of update to ICA or should we just patiently wait for the outcome?

Husband: 34 yo, SC chinese (salary 8k)
Wife: 34yo, Vietnamese, staying in Singapore 19 years (salary 4.3k)
Daughter: 1yo, SC
ROM Dec 2019
Bought HDB resale and been staying there since Apr 2020
1st PR application Jan 2020, rejected Mar/Apr 2021 (can't rmb the exact time)
2nd PR application Nov 2021, pending.

Your input and advice are welcomed. Thank you in advance
Yes, please update ICA on the change in salary.