Singapore Expats

Applying for Singapore Citizenship

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Daffo3dil

Post by Daffo3dil » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 6:54 am

hi
Last edited by Daffo3dil on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Applying for Singapore Citizenship

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 6:55 am

Daffo3dil wrote:Hi all,
Good morning all! We are in the midst of applying for citizenship and have a few questions
1) is a cover letter needed? If yes, what should it say
2) if family owns property in home country should that be shown in financial assets?
3) what is the average processing time
4) what are the chances of rejection?

Case: SPR for over 10 years, child attending local school, Wife engaged in community service & teaching, Husband working as consultant in mnc...do you think we stand a chance? What are the odds!
Race and nationality please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daffo3dil

Post by Daffo3dil » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 7:02 am

aaaaa
Last edited by Daffo3dil on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 6:42 pm

Do you own property in Singapore?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Daffo3dil

Post by Daffo3dil » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 6:57 pm

Yes 4 room hdb

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 9:41 pm

Do you own a home in your home country? I assume you do, based on your opening post. So, you are a PR correct and have been here for over 10 years. Then you are well aware of the fact that you are currently breaking the law in Singapore, right? You should know that is it against the law for a PR to own any other property, anywhere in the world, if they own a property in Singapore. So do you reckon they should give a lawbreaker Citizenship? I don't.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Daffo3dil

Post by Daffo3dil » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 11:30 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by Daffo3dil on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daffo3dil

Post by Daffo3dil » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 11:54 pm

Extended family

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 2:32 am

Daffo3dil wrote:Extended family
If the properties belong to your “extended” family back home, why would you even bother to show them as if they are your own financial assets in your application?

Please enlighten me how would this help in your SC application? ICA may view it as you are very much attached to your motherland.

Phir bhi dil hai…?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 9:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you own a home in your home country? I assume you do, based on your opening post. So, you are a PR correct and have been here for over 10 years. Then you are well aware of the fact that you are currently breaking the law in Singapore, right? You should know that is it against the law for a PR to own any other property, anywhere in the world, if they own a property in Singapore. So do you reckon they should give a lawbreaker Citizenship? I don't.
This is not strictly true. If a PR bought an HDB after Aug 30 2010, they must sell all private property within 6 months. A PR who bought an HDB before that time is not covered by these new rules regarding MOP and private property.

Under the current rules, if you are a PR and has fulfilled the MOP for your HDB flat, you can start to own private overseas property together with your HDB. Even after you fulfilled the MOP of your hdb flat, a PR cannot own HDB and local private property together and must sell the hdb within 6 months of acquiring local private property.

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/resid ... de=preview

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 10:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you own a home in your home country? I assume you do, based on your opening post. So, you are a PR correct and have been here for over 10 years. Then you are well aware of the fact that you are currently breaking the law in Singapore, right? You should know that is it against the law for a PR to own any other property, anywhere in the world, if they own a property in Singapore. So do you reckon they should give a lawbreaker Citizenship? I don't.
PR's who own property overseas and also own HDB before the rule kicked in are not affected by the rule i guess.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 10:28 am

Good morning all! We are in the midst of applying for citizenship and have a few questions
2) if family owns property in home country should that be shown in financial assets?

Case: SPR for over 10 years, child attending local school, Wife engaged in community service & teaching, Husband working as consultant in mnc...do you think we stand a chance? What are the odds!
Why would Singapore grant SC if you show them that your family owns financial assets overseas? It matters 0% to them.

If we have to tell you on what to add in the cover letter, you better don't submit one

What do you work as and how much do you earn? This plays a very important rule in the application

Application will take 1.2-1.5 years for processing.

Rejection changes - High because of your nationality

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 1:48 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

Why would Singapore grant SC if you show them that your family owns financial assets overseas? It matters 0% to them.

If we have to tell you on what to add in the cover letter, you better don't submit one

What do you work as and how much do you earn? This plays a very important rule in the application

Application will take 1.2-1.5 years for processing.

Rejection changes - High because of your nationality
One more point - OP’s PR was approved 10 years ago in 2008. At that time PR approval rate was historically highest, and the population policy was much more liberal. Now in 2018, the world is very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daffo3dil

Post by Daffo3dil » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 2:38 pm

xxxx