Singapore Expats

Where to hang a hammock in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
AngMohammock

Where to hang a hammock in Singapore

Post by AngMohammock » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 10:12 am

Hi everyone,

First post here, and it's about hammocks.

I want to hang a hammock for a few hours, somewhere where I don't have to fill in a thick notebook of documentation or apply online. I've got experience in hammocking so I'll leave the place exactly like it was when I came.

Does anyone know any place where it's legal to put up a hammock or where you've seen others put up hammock? Except for the camping areas and Pulau Ubin or any of the other islands. Something on mainland.

Thank you so much

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Where to hang a hammock in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 10:58 am

That's actually a pretty tough question. Although Singapore tries its best to hide the homeless and marginalized persons in its society (ever wonder what the knobs are for on public benches... so no one can stretch out and sleep), they exist, and if found sleeping in doorways or in parks, they are rounded up. So, if in a public place, you do run the risk of some officer or another wanting to know what you are doing. It's not a common sight in Singapore.

But, I've also been trying to think where you might pull this off. If you want to string a hammock between a couple of trees, finding those trees might be a challenge. You might try Upper Pierce Reservoir Park... not many people go there, very quiet, and quite a bit of room to perhaps find the space that you need.

You might also take a look see off Eng Neo... the riders club and the nine hole golf course. There's quite a bit of open space surrounding these two attractions that might work for you.

You could also take a look at Bishan Ang Mo Kio park... quite public but with heavily forested areas that might work.

I've never been to Bedok Reservoir park but that's a possibility as are the other reservoirs. I think what you'll find though that they are either built up for lots of public access or there is no access at all.

AngMohammock

Post by AngMohammock » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 11:23 am

You are indeed a strong eagle, Strong Eagle. Thanks a lot for your answer and help.

I've been to lower pierce and it's quite beautiful. I don't want to be arrested or pay a fine though. Just to rest a bit after riding a bike from Haw Par Villa where I live. Since it would be quite the ride :)

Ang Mo Kio is heavily policed I think. At least I got that impression from being there. It's also quite far away.

Will check out Eng Neo but the upper pierce park seems ideal since it's not horribly away from me but most importantly it's very wild. I love that. The whole reservoir area and parks is just beautiful to ride with a bike too.

Will put up some photos if this works out! Thanks again!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 11:50 am

East Coast Park. Plenty of good trees to use and it's common to see hammocks, usually in the weekends.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 3:28 pm

Its very difficult as you are not allowed to tie things to the trees, at least this is the rule anywhere where Dragon Boat races take place , so Bedok Reservoir , Lower Seletar , Jurong.

I would assume that this is the same rule in all the parks in Singapore in that you are not allowed to tie anything to any trees in them.

You might want to carry your own poles to string your hammock up between. :mrgreen:

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/PTA2005-RG1
General acts requiring approval
(e) hang or affix any light, bill, placard, notice or other thing on any plant, tree or structure;
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 3:53 pm

Singapore is a land of rules. It's only a problem if they want to enforce the rule you are currently breaking. :wink:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 4:11 pm

bgd wrote:Singapore is a land of rules. It's only a problem if they want to enforce the rule you are currently breaking. :wink:
Sadly its well Policed at Dragon Boat events. :(

However what the eye doesnt see the heart doesnt grieve for
Life is short, paddle harder!!

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Tue, 30 Oct 2018 1:51 pm

i bought a hammock frame. It is a U shaped frame that hangs a hammock.
Its very convenient and comfortable at home haha.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 30 Oct 2018 4:50 pm

archcherub wrote:i bought a hammock frame. It is a U shaped frame that hangs a hammock.
But a bit awkward if you have to carry it to a park.

Since this thread started I've seen plenty of hammocks in East Coast Park over the weekends. One enterprising chap had connected one end of his hammock to a police camera pole. :D

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sat, 16 Feb 2019 11:02 am

bgd wrote:
archcherub wrote:i bought a hammock frame. It is a U shaped frame that hangs a hammock.

Since this thread started I've seen plenty of hammocks in East Coast Park over the weekends. One enterprising chap had connected one end of his hammock to a police camera pole. :D
that seems like a quick way to get police attention. lol
i won't think its illegal but definitely not encouraged! [-X

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sat, 16 Feb 2019 11:07 am

does anyone know where in singapore malls can i visually see and check a double hammocks before buying?
I am referring to this type of double hammocks

i don't want to order from amazon or website as they charge like hell for shipping to singapore. plus i prefer to inspect the product before buying for such a product. I want to see the quality is good and made to last.

not gonna be a fun camping trip if the whole thing collapse in the middle of the night :o

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sat, 16 Feb 2019 11:12 am

bgd wrote:

i did bring it to a park once.
heh heh. you are right, its not very convenient. thats why i am looking for a double hammock now.
ahem... its romantic too if u find the right person :)

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:29 am

crap. my hammock got a slight tear over the weekend at east coast park.
anyway knows a good solution to fix it?

something i should have asked the online seller before i bought my hammock... is hammock machine-washable? lol
edit: ok found a blogpost on how to wash and repair camping hammocks