Singapore Expats

Is Making Memes Of Someone Considered Harassment?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Plaush

Is Making Memes Of Someone Considered Harassment?

Post by Plaush » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 9:35 pm

Hello, first time posting here. Not sure if this is the right section, apologies if it's not.

Long story short, I used to make memes about my classmates in Secondary School, I do occasionally do them now but not as often. The memes would usually be mocking school rules, jokes about exam stress/questions and general memes you would expect from a student in Secondary School. However I did make memes mocking certain students when the did something funny/stupid, but they were only shared between close friends. When I was in Secondary 3, I decided to make a joke about a female classmate that tried to talk back to her Fitness instructor but got roasted badly. Believe it or not, it was in the middle of a weird basketball 'montage' one of my classmates were recording, so we got an audio clip of that roast along with a somewhat clear image of the teacher and the female student. So we, or I, decided to make a meme about it. It was only shared between our friends, she didn't know about it.

Fast forward 3 months, I received a text from her. The text included the meme and a caption that reads 'Explain This!?'. So I said, "Well it wasn't supposed to get in your hands. Sorry if it insulted you", she then followed up with "That's cyberbullying you know! You're harassing me online!" (The actual conversation is really bad and I don't want to quote word for words so I changed a lot up). After that, I told my friends about the situation, and one of them said "You could be charged with this, you know? She is from a very rich family, so it's possible". Well after that we kinda have forgotten about it and nothing happened.

2 years after the incident aka now. I was suddenly remembered about the incident when we attended some kind of 'Anti-cyberbullying' class. So the question came back to bug me, was it possible that I could have been thrown into jail/fined for spreading said memes?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Is Making Memes Of Someone Considered Harassment?

Post by The Ref » Wed, 03 Oct 2018 11:37 am

No idea about the legalities, but as soon as you think
"Well it wasn't supposed to get in your hands."
then I think you have overstepped and that it was wrong to send.

Everyone did stupid things as a teenager, but hopefully the world is getting better at this.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Oct 2018 2:38 pm

^^^Apparently not. Or at least Brett Kavanaugh doesn't think so.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 5:54 am

What are the damages.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 7:33 am

You have stepped into a gray area. The line between a "fun poke" and bullying, lying, or harassment is not nearly so clear these days. While I have poked people in person, I would never consider doing it without their knowledge, nor would I make a record of it.

Popy

Post by Popy » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 5:31 pm

Hmmmm, if I was the object of your memes...I wouldn't drag your ass to court! Honestly.