Singapore Expats

Seeking to ROM Malaysian Boyfriend

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Karentay

Seeking to ROM Malaysian Boyfriend

Post by Karentay » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 10:16 pm

Hi, I'm seeking advice on rom with my Malaysian boyfriend currently holding wp in Singapore. Understand that getting married in Singapore required permission from mom and the risk is for him to be ban from work in Singapore. We did not want to take the risk. If we will to rom in Malaysia, will it be recognize? And currently I'm pregnant. The original plans was to just register myself under single mum and to include his name in the birth certificate. However his mum insisted us to go for rom. But we didn't want to change our plans. So if we will to rom in Malaysia, will sg side recognize? Please help

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Seeking to ROM Malaysian Boyfriend

Post by bgd » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 10:04 am

If he wants to marry you and you are either a SC or PR then he needs to apply to MOM for approval. He has nothing to lose by requesting permission. If they approve then great. If they don't then hold off getting married and re-apply again in a year or so. It will not effect his status in any way.

If you marry without permission, even in Malaysia and MOM find out, he will likely be banned from Sg, probably permanently.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 11:51 am

This. ^^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Karentay

Post by Karentay » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 3:32 pm

Hi all, I read thru the mom web. It says that there's a chance of him getting banned from sg for a period of time. Does it mean that if we will to apply there will be a chance of getting ban? I didn't want him to take the risk. As our decision is to just stay this way. But because of his mum requested us to get rom.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 3:50 pm

As you mentioned you are expecting.
If you plan to stay as it. To avoid your boyfriend to get ban.
The baby how?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 5:08 pm

Karentay wrote:Does it mean that if we will to apply there will be a chance of getting ban? I didn't want him to take the risk.
No.

He will only get banned if you marry without MOM permission. Applying will not effect his resident status.

Karentay

Post by Karentay » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 9:22 pm

Yes I'm pregnant now, our plan start off as not getting married because is just the status between us which I think is not important. But because of his mum decision of us getting married hence looking for advice for this matter.

Karentay

Post by Karentay » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks thanks, will try to get the permission from mom first! Hopefully got good news

feanor

Post by feanor » Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:19 pm

Karentay wrote:Thanks thanks, will try to get the permission from mom first! Hopefully got good news
I would try to get permission from mom but I'm not sure it is worth to risk having a child out of wedlock if permission is not granted. There are potential legal issues with that.