Singapore Expats

Is there really a standard rule in renting out a room

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
marj0623

Is there really a standard rule in renting out a room

Post by marj0623 » Fri, 28 Sep 2018 3:01 pm

I have just transferred recently last July 27 in Marsiling. I know the owner applies what he said as the so called standard rule of 6 month's stay. I am actually renting a room wih some other Malaysian lady. I was waiting for the contract but he never given out contract of of agreement to rent the room for 6 months. However, I notice that during the short course of stay, privacy became an issue as he goes inside the room and rearrange our things without asking permission from us. He also cast doubts on renters such as reminding them about closng aircons and payment every now and then even if assuring him. She also goes in even if the room is closed. There are some other unexpected issue as well that have caused disagreements. Finally he asked me to leave but wait till 6 months. The environment is not getting better so I decided to move in earier but he said he won't give back my advance deposit if I moved out early. But we don't have any contract. Do you think he has the right to forfeit my advance deposit without an agreement as he fight for standard rule. He just started renting out the room to several people just this year? Thank you for your response.

Search By

crabster777

Re: Is there really a standard rule in renting out a room

Post by crabster777 » Sat, 06 Oct 2018 7:16 pm

It's really strange there is no contract. I'm not sure I would trust him and place a deposit without it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Oct 2018 11:12 pm

If it is an HDB flat, it is against the HDB policy/laws for the owner to rent out accommodations for less than 6 months here in Singapore. The owner could lose his flats if it appears that he is renting out the flat for short-term stays (e.g., depriving hotels of their revenue). The reason is because of neighbours complaining about transient traffic and the possibility of theft and or other anti-social behaviors.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Oct 2018 11:14 pm

There should be a contract, however. Additionally ask the landlord if he has notified the HDB of his tenant. Tell him you are going to check with the HDB to see if he has notified them that he is renting out a room. He may well change his request. In a hurry!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers