Singapore Expats

My Singapore PR REP got rejected

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
arjunareddy02

My Singapore PR REP got rejected

Post by arjunareddy02 » Wed, 19 Sep 2018 7:23 pm

Hello all i got my PR in 2009 and I have renewed my REP up to dec 2018 and now when I applied for renewal it got rejected and I have contributed my cpf and taxes for first 2 years and now am staying overseas so now I am thinking that apply renewal again? If in case of rejection how do I keep my PR still alive ?I don't want to loose my PR If I come back to Singapore and apply again for renewal?any suggestions?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: My Singapore PR REP got rejected

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 19 Sep 2018 7:28 pm

arjunareddy02 wrote:Hello all i got my PR in 2009 and I have renewed my REP up to dec 2018 and now when I applied for renewal it got rejected and I have contributed my cpf and taxes for first 2 years and now am staying overseas so now I am thinking that apply renewal again? If in case of rejection how do I keep my PR still alive ?I don't want to loose my PR If I come back to Singapore and apply again for renewal?any suggestions?
There is no way you can keep it as you are not based in SG and working in SG. Based on what you said,you are not working in SG for the last 3 years.. if you come and work in SG, they MAY grant you a 1 year REP renewal to see if you will reside and stay in SG.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 19 Sep 2018 9:04 pm

That raises an interesting question. Lets say you are a 2nd generation PR that has done NS then gone back to the "home" country to do university. Technically they wouldnt be eligible for a REP even though they have done NS. Any idea what would happen?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:33 pm

The Ref wrote:That raises an interesting question. Lets say you are a 2nd generation PR that has done NS then gone back to the "home" country to do university. Technically they wouldnt be eligible for a REP even though they have done NS. Any idea what would happen?
Once you have completed NS,the equation totally changes. It is seen as a great positive.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 20 Sep 2018 9:22 am

If you only paid CPF and taxes for the total of two years for the ten you had PR then that may be an issue. Why do you want PR if you're not living in Singapore?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:23 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
The Ref wrote:That raises an interesting question. Lets say you are a 2nd generation PR that has done NS then gone back to the "home" country to do university. Technically they wouldnt be eligible for a REP even though they have done NS. Any idea what would happen?
Once you have completed NS,the equation totally changes. It is seen as a great positive.
Not true. At least, not any more. The performance of NS and the subsequent renewal of expired or given up PR or SGC is not a given any more. Makes good sense if you think about it. What happens if the NS man was a total tool. Is that somebody you would like to give PR or SGC to? Doubtful. Not saying it's the case here, but just explaining that doing NS is an obligation but doesn't give you any special other rights after finishing it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

babyballer

Post by babyballer » Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:48 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: There is no way you can keep it as you are not based in SG and working in SG. Based on what you said,you are not working in SG for the last 3 years.. if you come and work in SG, they MAY grant you a 1 year REP renewal to see if you will reside and stay in SG.
This is not entirely true.

My friend has been able to maintain his PR while he is working full time in US by paying CPF every month and income tax every year. He has always been able to renew his PR without any issue. He setup a company that pays himself minimum EP salary or so. This is how you can game the system. Not advisable, but this is how you can do it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Sep 2018 8:17 am

How many years has he run this scheme?

babyballer

Post by babyballer » Fri, 21 Sep 2018 10:34 am

PNGMK wrote:How many years has he run this scheme?
8 years.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:06 am

babyballer wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote: There is no way you can keep it as you are not based in SG and working in SG. Based on what you said,you are not working in SG for the last 3 years.. if you come and work in SG, they MAY grant you a 1 year REP renewal to see if you will reside and stay in SG.

My friend has been able to maintain his PR while he is working full time in US by paying CPF every month and income tax every year. He has always been able to renew his PR without any issue. He setup a company that pays himself minimum EP salary or so. This is how you can game the system. Not advisable, but this is how you can do it.
Where is your friend originally from?

babyballer

Post by babyballer » Fri, 21 Sep 2018 3:53 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
babyballer wrote:

Where is your friend originally from?
He is from one of the countries in South East Asia.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 23 Sep 2018 6:35 pm

babyballer wrote:
PNGMK wrote:How many years has he run this scheme?
8 years.
Well I don't see this as impossible. It's always been clear that if you're employed by a Singapore LE you can probably renew your REP if you're offically posted overseas provided your CPF is paid etc...

tokyoplanable

Post by tokyoplanable » Thu, 05 Sep 2019 6:15 am

Babyballer, did your friend renewal the rep via the Singapore consulate in the country they worked/lived in? Thanks