Singapore Expats

Taking out an old Unit Trust Investment when you're not a resident?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Taking out an old Unit Trust Investment when you're not a resident?

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 18 Sep 2018 2:49 pm

So I've left Singapore for 2,5 years now, though I still come back there to meet up with my friends whenever I'm back in SE Asia. Before I left, I had created a Unit Trust Investment Funds (I think that's what it's called, I don't have the papers with me at the moment as I'm writing this) with using UOB, which is my bank in SG while I was still living there.

Now, I still have access to my UOB Savings account, and have been seeing the Unit Trust Account grow. Previously, their financial advisor said that it would mature after 3 years, and then I should take it out.

My questions are:

1.) I no longer have my SPass/EP living there, although I still have my original passport that I used to open the account. Will there be any issues on me taking out that investment? I recall talking to them, with the notion that I will be coming back for work in SG, but I think I won't be doing that anymore, and instead want to pull the investment out to my normal savings account and transfer it out from there.

2.) For such an investment, do I have to file any taxes or has that already been done? I looked at IRAS's Taxable/non-Taxable Dividend https://www.iras.gov.sg/IRASHome/Indivi ... Dividends/ and I don't really understand the legalese...

Thanks in advance!
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Taking out an old Unit Trust Investment when you're not a resident?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 18 Sep 2018 2:53 pm

Akimbo wrote:So I've left Singapore for 2,5 years now, though I still come back there to meet up with my friends whenever I'm back in SE Asia. Before I left, I had created a Unit Trust Investment Funds (I think that's what it's called, I don't have the papers with me at the moment as I'm writing this) with using UOB, which is my bank in SG while I was still living there.

Now, I still have access to my UOB Savings account, and have been seeing the Unit Trust Account grow. Previously, their financial advisor said that it would mature after 3 years, and then I should take it out.

My questions are:

1.) I no longer have my SPass/EP living there, although I still have my original passport that I used to open the account. Will there be any issues on me taking out that investment? I recall talking to them, with the notion that I will be coming back for work in SG, but I think I won't be doing that anymore, and instead want to pull the investment out to my normal savings account and transfer it out from there.

2.) For such an investment, do I have to file any taxes or has that already been done? I looked at IRAS's Taxable/non-Taxable Dividend https://www.iras.gov.sg/IRASHome/Indivi ... Dividends/ and I don't really understand the legalese...

Thanks in advance!
You can maintain investment in Singapore without living here. So it is not an issue. If you want you redeem it or reinvest it in Singapore. It would be nice to maintain a bank account in Singapore.

Capital gains are not taxed in Singapore, so nothing to do with IRAS. But your current resident country, may tax capital gains and by right you may have to declare your gains there and pay tax on it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk