Singapore Expats

Don't want to renounce Singapore citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Don't want to renounce Singapore citizenship

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 18 Feb 2022 1:35 pm
This would lend me to believe that both assumptions are correct. If a person hold dual nationality at birth, it's an open question as to renunciation re: not using the foreign nationality in Singapore. But if you are applying for SGC for any other reason other than receiving said nationalities due to ancestry/birth then you will have to renounce.

With regard to dual citizenship for minors born to both US and Sg parents, up till a few years ago (not actually sure when it changed) The US issued by the Department of State a "Certification of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America" as long as one parent was a US citizen with at least 10 years residency in the US prior to the birth of the child. (Both of my children have these type of Birth Certs). It was because the US was a major trading partner, the local government here kind of turned a blind eye with those with US/SG citizenship by birth as long as no one blatantly advertised the fact.
Exactly the case with my daughter. We registered her birth 18 years ago after she was born in Mt E.

misha86

Post by misha86 » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 3:46 pm

Hi there. Been asking around from lawyer friends, to former SGC, looked online. Nothing clear on this situation.
My SGC sister married to dual citizen male (SGC & USC). He was born in SG to US father and SG mother. His dad registered his birth in SG when he was a baby as US citizen. He has dual citizenship and has exemption letter from NS authority (not sure reason why). Lived in SG all his life and never did NS. He plans to renounce SG citizenship to move to US. Any foreseeable issues on this?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 8:40 pm

misha86 wrote:
Tue, 22 Feb 2022 3:46 pm
Hi there. Been asking around from lawyer friends, to former SGC, looked online. Nothing clear on this situation.
My SGC sister married to dual citizen male (SGC & USC). He was born in SG to US father and SG mother. His dad registered his birth in SG when he was a baby as US citizen. He has dual citizenship and has exemption letter from NS authority (not sure reason why). Lived in SG all his life and never did NS. He plans to renounce SG citizenship to move to US. Any foreseeable issues on this?
Exemption letters are not easy to come by, usually reserved for very serious mental or physical disabilities. Even kids who have genuine disabilities but are deemed high functioning still must go.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

misha86

Post by misha86 » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:06 pm

Thanks malcontent. Asked the sis abt the ltr and no reason stated for exemption. If NS doesn't want him perhaps no issue?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:42 pm

Complete NS exemptions are rare, usually resulting from permanent disabilities or severe medical conditions to be graded PES F by the SAF Medical Board.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:47 pm

misha86 wrote:
Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:06 pm
Thanks malcontent. Asked the sis abt the ltr and no reason stated for exemption. If NS doesn't want him perhaps no issue?
There is a set of very careful steps that can be taken (outlined on this forum in the past), for SGC kids who intend to renounce. They must have a second citizenship and must be studying overseas by age 13. That is the only other scenario I’m aware of.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:59 pm

misha86 wrote:
Tue, 22 Feb 2022 3:46 pm
Can’t imagine how he was so lucky to receive an NS exemption letter, as others have mentioned this almost never happens unless the boy in questions suffers from serious disabilities. However, if he was actually issued such a letter, there should be no issue since he was officially exempted.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:00 am

misha86 wrote:
Issue arises when its the parents/child that have the child renounce citizenship with the purpose of evading NS. If the boy was indeed granted exemption, there should be no problem.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:01 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:47 pm
misha86 wrote:
There is a set of very careful steps that can be taken (outlined on this forum in the past), for SGC kids who intend to renounce. They must have a second citizenship and must be studying overseas by age 13. That is the only other scenario I’m aware of.
In addition, they must not have received any citizenship “benefits” in their time as an SC.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:02 am

therat wrote:
Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:42 pm
Complete NS exemptions are rare, usually resulting from permanent disabilities or severe medical conditions to be graded PES F by the SAF Medical Board.
SAF will find a place for almost ANYBODY to serve, there is no escape most times.

nekros

Post by nekros » Tue, 11 Oct 2022 6:07 am

I received a letter from ICA in early 2017 telling me to either revoke or renounce. They probably found out that I used my US passport to travel to SG in August 2015. I did not reply to their letter and have not heard from them since. If I should visit SG, do I expect to be detained by their government?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 12 Oct 2022 5:35 pm

nekros wrote:
Tue, 11 Oct 2022 6:07 am
I received a letter from ICA in early 2017 telling me to either revoke or renounce. They probably found out that I used my US passport to travel to SG in August 2015. I did not reply to their letter and have not heard from them since. If I should visit SG, do I expect to be detained by their government?
You'll be right, just a slap on the wrist. You will be pulled into those one way glass room just after the border control if you get caught.
Make sure you enter with your US PP. Surrender your SG PP, Signed on those dotted line. I think there is a fine but I am not too sure now
It depends on the severity of the case. Max fine is $3K back then in 1990s
Do you know how they found out about you in US, chances are, you have registered with ICA your overseas address. On top of that you entered SG with US PP,
US PP has one of the highest fake passport. Algorithm just pop your name like a sore thumb
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

alanatiffany

Post by alanatiffany » Thu, 20 Oct 2022 7:40 am

Sorry if this is not the right place to post
Question about NS

Paging MS, SMS and all that can help. I am in my late 20's and have dual citizenship, one from birth and one from registration (Singapore). Only dad is from Singapore and has kept his citizenship. Mom is citizen of my birth country and has never had Singapore citizenship or PR. Dad has only been back to visit parents every now and then when he gets the chance.
I have only two Singapore passports (second one was issued with date at age 10). I am unsure but I think it was used only to enter Singapore two times both before age 10. I have not used it after age 10.
Only been to Singapore two times in my life both before age 10. (I assume Singapore passport was used both these times). I never received any letters or anything from Singapore and still have not. Parents are largely uneducated and cannot read English and did not know about any procedures. We have never contacted Singapore at all regarding anything regarding me. I never took the oath to keep my citizenship and may have lost it. I read that if you do not take the oath you lose it.

What should I do now? Do I have to go to Singapore in order to handle this?
I read that CMPB will not entertain me unless I'm in Singapore. Is there any point in contacting them if I do not plan on going back anytime soon? It seems that if I contact them a lot of bells will be alerted. I am not against serving NS but at this point and time I cannot go back.

I am worried about my parent's liability. Dad inherited HDB and some money. Will they take his money or HDB?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 20 Oct 2022 3:38 pm

What would give you some guidance is if you tried to renounce your Singapore citizenship (via your nearest high comm or consulate. If you get a letter back stating there are unresolved NS or CMPB issues then you would have some idea. You can actually contact CMPB from outside Singapore. They may entertain you.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 20 Oct 2022 5:20 pm

alanatiffany wrote:
Thu, 20 Oct 2022 7:40 am
Sorry if this is not the right place to post
Question about NS

Paging MS, SMS and all that can help. I am in my late 20's and have dual citizenship, one from birth and one from registration (Singapore). Only dad is from Singapore and has kept his citizenship. Mom is citizen of my birth country and has never had Singapore citizenship or PR. Dad has only been back to visit parents every now and then when he gets the chance.
I have only two Singapore passports (second one was issued with date at age 10). I am unsure but I think it was used only to enter Singapore two times both before age 10. I have not used it after age 10.
Questions: Do you have your country of birth passport?
How did your parents register your SC i.e back in Singapore or your
own country?
If it is the former , then you entered with your "other" passport.
Why did your parent apply for SG passport baffles me?

Only been to Singapore two times in my life both before age 10. (I assume Singapore passport was used both these times).

Answer top questions first

I never received any letters or anything from Singapore and still have not. Parents are largely uneducated and cannot read English and did not know about any procedures. We have never contacted Singapore at all regarding anything regarding me. I never took the oath to keep my citizenship and may have lost it. I read that if you do not take the oath you lose it.

What should I do now? Why ? and what for ?
Do I have to go to Singapore in order to handle this? Again , my question why?
I read that CMPB will not entertain me unless I'm in Singapore. Is there any point in contacting them if I do not plan on going back anytime soon? It seems that if I contact them a lot of bells will be alerted. I am not against serving NS but at this point and time I cannot go back.

Too many holes to fill. Shed more light. You are smart enough. The door swings both ways.

I am worried about my parent's liability. Dad inherited HDB and some money. Will they take his money or HDB?
Really !! Not sure about that .
Look, you are looking for answers and you expect us to fill it in for you while second guessing what the hell you are trying to hide. If you are really what and who you are , then play ball.
I do not carry a crystal ball on my head or with me.
You B***###d if you are really who you are knows what I am talking about
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!