Singapore Expats

Don't want to renounce Singapore citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
alanatiffany

Re: Don't want to renounce Singapore citizenship

Post by alanatiffany » Tue, 25 Oct 2022 7:53 am

Yes I have my country of birth passport. I was born and raised in Canada. I have lived here all my life. My parents registered me for Singaporean citizenship in Canada before I turned 1. I have visited Singapore two times both times before the age of 10. I don't believe the passport was renewed in Singapore. I have two Singaporean passports. I believe my passport was used twice to enter Singapore because they thought it would make sense to visit the Singaporean one. When I came back to Canada they used my Canadian one to enter Canada.

I want to handle these matters because I would like to be able to go back to Singapore. I thought about going recently for a short visit. But I do not want to be detained if I go to Singapore for a prolonged period of time. I want to email them now because I do not want to be on bad terms if I ever would like to go back to Singapore. I want to go back to Singapore without being detained.

I want to email them to see where i stand. However at the same time I do not want my parents HDB or money to be at risk. I was wondering if it was pointless to email them about my status given that i read that they will not entertain me unless i'm in the country. I do not want to go back if i am at risk for being detained for a prolonged period of time. At the moment it would be devastating if i were to be detained there for months.

I would like to visit Singapore without being detained for a prolonged period of time. That is why i am emailing now. I thought my citizenship would be renounced after 21. When I thought about going recently i did some googling and realized i may have problems. I have not been back to Singapore since before the age of 10. Is there any point in emailing for clarification of my status? I read that i have to be in the country for them to tell me anything concrete. But it seems that if i go back i am at risk of being detained for a long time.

Thank You for your contributions to this forum. Your advice is invaluable. I am not trying to hide anything from this forum. I understand how valuable your time is. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing.

alanatiffany

Post by alanatiffany » Thu, 27 Oct 2022 8:12 am

Yes I have my country of birth passport. I was born and raised in Canada. I have lived here all my life. My parents registered me for Singaporean citizenship in Canada before I turned 1. I have visited Singapore two times both times before the age of 10. I don't believe the passport was renewed in Singapore. I have two Singaporean passports. I believe my passport was used twice to enter Singapore because they thought it would make sense to visit the Singaporean one. When I came back to Canada they used my Canadian one to enter Canada.

I want to handle these matters because I would like to be able to go back to Singapore. I thought about going recently for a short visit. But I do not want to be detained if I go to Singapore for a prolonged period of time. I want to email them now because I do not want to be on bad terms if I ever would like to go back to Singapore. I want to go back to Singapore without being detained.

I want to email them to see where i stand. However at the same time I do not want my parents HDB or money to be at risk. I was wondering if it was pointless to email them about my status given that i read that they will not entertain me unless i'm in the country. I do not want to go back if i am at risk for being detained for a prolonged period of time. At the moment it would be devastating if i were to be detained there for months.

I would like to visit Singapore without being detained for a prolonged period of time. That is why i am emailing now. I thought my citizenship would be renounced after 21. When I thought about going recently i did some googling and realized i may have problems. I have not been back to Singapore since before the age of 10. Is there any point in emailing for clarification of my status? I read that i have to be in the country for them to tell me anything concrete. But it seems that if i go back i am at risk of being detained for a long time.

Thank You for your contributions to this forum. Your advice is invaluable. I am not trying to hide anything from this forum. I understand how valuable your time is. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing.

alanatiffany

Post by alanatiffany » Thu, 27 Oct 2022 8:32 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Thu, 20 Oct 2022 5:20 pm
alanatiffany wrote:
Thu, 20 Oct 2022 7:40 am
Sorry if this is not the right place to post
Question about NS

Paging MS, SMS and all that can help. I am in my late 20's and have dual citizenship, one from birth and one from registration (Singapore). Only dad is from Singapore and has kept his citizenship. Mom is citizen of my birth country and has never had Singapore citizenship or PR. Dad has only been back to visit parents every now and then when he gets the chance.
I have only two Singapore passports (second one was issued with date at age 10). I am unsure but I think it was used only to enter Singapore two times both before age 10. I have not used it after age 10.
Questions: Do you have your country of birth passport?
How did your parents register your SC i.e back in Singapore or your
own country?
If it is the former , then you entered with your "other" passport.
Why did your parent apply for SG passport baffles me?

Only been to Singapore two times in my life both before age 10. (I assume Singapore passport was used both these times).

Answer top questions first

I never received any letters or anything from Singapore and still have not. Parents are largely uneducated and cannot read English and did not know about any procedures. We have never contacted Singapore at all regarding anything regarding me. I never took the oath to keep my citizenship and may have lost it. I read that if you do not take the oath you lose it.

What should I do now? Why ? and what for ?
Do I have to go to Singapore in order to handle this? Again , my question why?
I read that CMPB will not entertain me unless I'm in Singapore. Is there any point in contacting them if I do not plan on going back anytime soon? It seems that if I contact them a lot of bells will be alerted. I am not against serving NS but at this point and time I cannot go back.

Too many holes to fill. Shed more light. You are smart enough. The door swings both ways.

I am worried about my parent's liability. Dad inherited HDB and some money. Will they take his money or HDB?
Really !! Not sure about that .
Look, you are looking for answers and you expect us to fill it in for you while second guessing what the hell you are trying to hide. If you are really what and who you are , then play ball.
I do not carry a crystal ball on my head or with me.
You B***###d if you are really who you are knows what I am talking about

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 27 Oct 2022 9:56 am

alanatiffany wrote:
Thu, 27 Oct 2022 8:32 am
Mad Scientist wrote:
Thu, 20 Oct 2022 5:20 pm
alanatiffany wrote:
Question about NS

Paging MS, SMS and all that can help. I am in my late 20's and have dual citizenship, one from birth and one from registration (Singapore). Only dad is from Singapore and has kept his citizenship. Mom is citizen of my birth country and has never had Singapore citizenship or PR. Dad has only been back to visit parents every now and then when he gets the chance.
I have only two Singapore passports (second one was issued with date at age 10). I am unsure but I think it was used only to enter Singapore two times both before age 10. I have not used it after age 10.
Questions: Do you have your country of birth passport?
How did your parents register your SC i.e back in Singapore or your
own country?
If it is the former , then you entered with your "other" passport.
Why did your parent apply for SG passport baffles me?

Only been to Singapore two times in my life both before age 10. (I assume Singapore passport was used both these times).

Answer top questions first

I never received any letters or anything from Singapore and still have not. Parents are largely uneducated and cannot read English and did not know about any procedures. We have never contacted Singapore at all regarding anything regarding me. I never took the oath to keep my citizenship and may have lost it. I read that if you do not take the oath you lose it.

What should I do now? Why ? and what for ?
Do I have to go to Singapore in order to handle this? Again , my question why?
I read that CMPB will not entertain me unless I'm in Singapore. Is there any point in contacting them if I do not plan on going back anytime soon? It seems that if I contact them a lot of bells will be alerted. I am not against serving NS but at this point and time I cannot go back.

Too many holes to fill. Shed more light. You are smart enough. The door swings both ways.

I am worried about my parent's liability. Dad inherited HDB and some money. Will they take his money or HDB?
Really !! Not sure about that .
Look, you are looking for answers and you expect us to fill it in for you while second guessing what the hell you are trying to hide. If you are really what and who you are , then play ball.
I do not carry a crystal ball on my head or with me.
You B***###d if you are really who you are knows what I am talking about

I don't think you will get an answer for your current status via an email or a call. It is going to be tricky.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 28 Oct 2022 5:35 pm

OP alana

Many things does not make sense to me
1. You said your parents are largely uneducated and yet they know how to register you for SG citizenship at the age of 1
2. Your parent visited SG entering SG with SG PP for you , twice !! Wow. That takes a lot of reading , asking questions and you need to be educated to understand border control procedure
3. Right before age of 10 , no longer register or renew your SG PP which again, I hazard to guess someone or your parent must have read quite a bit on this loophole.

OK here is the kicker
1. You did not get a letter because ICA /Mindef cannot trace you overseas as you left without any forwarding address
2. You did not apply for exit permit when you turn 13. Big Red Flag !!
3. Now you are in mid 20s not registered for NS as above mentioned

If you contact them, you will get the full load of Sh*t and the smell will linger till kingdom come
Forget about it , kid
I can teach one way to know if they are looking for you but needs a lot of ground work. Not worth the hassle
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Oct 2022 12:47 am

alanatiffany wrote:
Question about NS

Only been to Singapore two times in my life both before age 10. (I assume Singapore passport was used both these times). I never received any letters or anything from Singapore and still have not. Parents are largely uneducated and cannot read English and did not know about any procedures. We have never contacted Singapore at all regarding anything regarding me. I never took the oath to keep my citizenship and may have lost it. I read that if you do not take the oath you lose it.

What should I do now? Do I have to go to Singapore in order to handle this?

I'm a little confused why you want to open this kind of worms at all, when you have no intention of returning to Singapore.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Oct 2022 12:49 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Fri, 28 Oct 2022 5:35 pm
OP alana

1. You said your parents are largely uneducated and yet they know how to register you for SG citizenship at the age of 1
2. Your parent visited SG entering SG with SG PP for you , twice !! Wow. That takes a lot of reading , asking questions and you need to be educated to understand border control procedure
3. Right before age of 10 , no longer register or renew your SG PP which again, I hazard to guess someone or your parent must have read quite a bit on this loophole.

OK here is the kicker
1. You did not get a letter because ICA /Mindef cannot trace you overseas as you left without any forwarding address

If you contact them, you will get the full load of Sh*t and the smell will linger till kingdom come
Forget about it , kid
I can teach one way to know if they are looking for you but needs a lot of ground work. Not worth the hassle
Now I'm intrigued... MS, what is this secret way?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Oct 2022 12:50 am

alanatiffany wrote:
Thu, 27 Oct 2022 8:12 am

This is all quite incoherent, there seems to be a lot of missing information, but most importantly what I can't seem to figure out is your motivation for doing all this - if they were interested in settling scores with you, you would know by now, no point opening the floodgates for no reason.

alanatiffany

Post by alanatiffany » Thu, 03 Nov 2022 6:56 am

Thank you for the response and time again. It is very sincerely appreciated. My parents did register me for citizenship before the age of 1. I'm assuming a relative or someone advised them to do so. They always have someone to translate the documents for them. I'm assuming the person that helped them did not explain about the procedures necessary afterwards.

I was the one that found out there may be a chance to not be in trouble if the passport had not been used after age 11. I have no idea why they did not renew it after age 11. I've been to Canada all my life so i'm assuming they never thought it was necessary.

How do I find out if they are looking? Does it have to do with the census?

alanatiffany

Post by alanatiffany » Thu, 03 Nov 2022 6:58 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Fri, 28 Oct 2022 5:35 pm
OP alana

OK here is the kicker

Forget about it , kid
Thank you for the response and time again. It is very sincerely appreciated. My parents did register me for citizenship before the age of 1. I'm assuming a relative or someone advised them to do so. They always have someone to translate the documents for them. I'm assuming the person that helped them did not explain about the procedures necessary afterwards.

I was the one that found out there may be a chance to not be in trouble if the passport had not been used after age 11. I have no idea why they did not renew it after age 11. I've been to Canada all my life so i'm assuming they never thought it was necessary.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 Nov 2022 7:08 am

There is no fear if losing assets etc. Your major risk is being arrested and forced to do NS or prison.

As its likely that your passport from childhood did not have biometrics you may be ok if you have a common name or change your name.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 03 Nov 2022 8:27 am

For most living in North America, the odds of ever coming to Singapore or even transiting in Singapore are less than 1/10th of 1 percent. I know some China origin people who I worked with here in Singapore that later migrated to Canada… I can tell you with certainty… they won’t be back here, ever. They don’t have NS obligations, but even if they did it wouldn’t matter.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 04 Nov 2022 5:40 am

[/quote]

OP alana
There are three things you must understand on its own

1. HDB house that belongs to your parents has no bearing to you and your NS liabilities
2. I wrote this HDB issue years ago was just to be a watertight course of action as what I did . I left no stone unturned. I make sure I cover all the bases and leave no room for error on my part as I have made up my mind of not coming back to work or live here. No margin for error and I was prepared for every conceivable contingencies that I can think of.
3. Unless , your name is listed on the owners of your parent HDB then I would not know the outcome. It can be under the radar or not if your parent decided to sell the house
4. Your parent must not sell this HDB house to you as you will not be able to sign the S&P nor enjoy any fruits of its sales

Yourself

1. What is the real purpose of coming over to SG given your predicament ?
If just to see your relatives, forget it. There is this thing call whatsapp video call
2. I cannot teach you on how to know whether you are liable or not. You have to find ways to do it. It is plausible but given this is an open forum, I will open a big drum of worms
3. You have nothing tangible in SG, so why do you want to come over? Social visit ? Seriously??

NS

1. Liabilities if you are deserter, defaulter or untraceable POI depends on yourself
If there is no need to come over, then please don't
2. They do not know what they do not know. Hence why rock the boat ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Nov 2022 4:07 pm

As a worst case scenario, Fly to M'sia and stay in JB across the causeway and have them come to M'sia to see you. Just don't come through SG immigration at all, just to be safe.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nekros

Post by nekros » Sat, 05 Nov 2022 4:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 04 Nov 2022 4:07 pm
As a worst case scenario, Fly to M'sia and stay in JB across the causeway and have them come to M'sia to see you. Just don't come through SG immigration at all, just to be safe.
My aunt told me the exact same thing!