Singapore Expats Forum

A Talented IT Professional looking for a Job in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Iqbal

A Talented IT Professional looking for a Job in Singapore

Postby Iqbal » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 9:54 pm

I'm a talented IT professional with multiple certification Bsc (Hons) in Computer Science, and seven years of progressively responsible for IT experience presently available in Sri lanka.

Therefore I'm looking for a suitable job in Singapore, and to settle in couple of months. Can anyone help me on this how to find a job? & will it
be useful to come as social visit and find a job there? Will it work out?
Pls let me know with details by email or thru this FAQ page as soon as poosible.

Thanx
Iqbal
email <kawaanna@yahoo.com>

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:13 pm

Could I suggest something? First, get rid of the giant type. Even my 55 year old eyes with reading glasses can still see something much smaller than that.

Second, what is an IT professional? I see soooo many posts like that. It says nothing. Network wire jockeys are IT professionals. Field engineers are IT professionals. Web developers are IT professionals. Programmers are IT professionals. Project managers are IT professionals. My secretary, well versed in Windows and MS Office, considers herself an IT professional. Even the peddlers of all of the above are IT professionals.

While I'm on a rant, it's my experience that "IT professionals" all love to talk about qualifications, but nobody talks about what they can do for me. It's like I'm the one that is supposed to bridge the gap between what you say you know, and what I need you to do.

If you want to sell youself into the job market, forget about emphasizing the credentials... lots of people have credentials and experience... and they are all looking for jobs. Instead, find some companies or an industry and focus on their problems. Sell yourself as a solutions provider first, a technician second. IT is a commodity and the people in it are becoming more like interchangable parts everyday. I can tell you... a person sitting in front of me telling me how he/she would fix things is far more alluring than someone telling me all the stuff they know.

End of rant. Best of luck in securing a position.

adicen

Need help

Postby adicen » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:31 am

hey strong eagle

I am a masters student and I need to interview people for my research. Would it be fine if I do an interview with you? I really need it. E-mail me at adicend@yahoo.com if it is ok with you.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it

Strong Eagle

Re: Need help

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 6:56 am

adicen wrote:hey strong eagle

I am a masters student and I need to interview people for my research. Would it be fine if I do an interview with you? I really need it. E-mail me at adicend@yahoo.com if it is ok with you.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it

Drop me an email via this board and let me know what you have in mind.

Thanks

Postby Guest » Thu, 17 Mar 2005 2:58 am

Hi Strong Eagle,

i really appreciate your emphasis on stating what qualifications you have as an IT professional and not what you can do for an establishment.

I am 28, and i am orgasmic about technology from an infrastructure perspective, e.g. Active Directory and Exchange 2003.

i am currently working in London for a multinational organisation doing probably the most complicated AD and Exchange design and implementation. I am doing the role of a Technical Architect/project manager for this company and sadly my projects are coming to an end. For the better of want of becoming institutionalised in this place!, i want to do be able to execercise my knowledge and skills in a different organisation - and only if they need it.

so if you think you can point me in the right direction, i am really willing to talk.

my email address is anton.para@charinee.com and please let me know whether you(or anybody else) is interested in talking some serious infrastructure stuff based on windows 2003 technology - if you are want anything else i am not your man! :shock: - and no i do not know of anybody else either! ........

cheers,

A

Another Guest

Postby Another Guest » Thu, 17 Mar 2005 5:52 pm

Hi Iqbal,

"...I'm a talented IT professional with multiple certification ..."

First of all "talented" people donot come to Singapore....
If you dont belong to that group you said, then try to find some hireing agency/headhunters...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Mar 2005 8:33 pm

Another Guest wrote:Hi Iqbal,

"...I'm a talented IT professional with multiple certification ..."

First of all "talented" people donot come to Singapore....
If you dont belong to that group you said, then try to find some hireing agency/headhunters...

Eh? There is great opportunity for talented individuals in Singapore. It's why I came here, and it is the reason that may talented people I know came here.