Singapore Expats

Can anything be done about my NS/deserter issues?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Can anything be done about my NS/deserter issues?

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Nov 2018 8:39 am

Good Luck with the lawyers. Let me know what they tell you and don't put your hopes high. It will come crashing down or nose dive into a tailspin
You are not Dr Patrick Tan, just remember that
BTW why do all bloody Singaporeans expats or residents living in other country thinks that this little red dot give a damn whether you are unique or something. get a grip
Like the wiseman here said before, you cannot bake and eat the cake yourself,
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:17 pm

Snowflake status.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NSproblems2018

Post by NSproblems2018 » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 8:10 am

PNGMK wrote:Snowflake status.
Wow no need for an attack here. I'm not special. But the fact is 1500 people are in my position over the last 10 years. I am a US citizen and shouldnt be forced to do NS just to visit a country.

Simple logic really. But I guess to you and the poster above, using a bit of logic=snowflake. Really explains why it appears to me there's actually support amongst Singaporean citizens for such backwards policies, which given what appears to be both of your education levels, is incredibly sad.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:20 am

I should have elucidated... I was explaining to MS the term he needs to use... I have a son doing NS and I don't really give two cents about your special problems.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:40 pm

NSproblems2018 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Snowflake status.
Wow no need for an attack here. I'm not special. But the fact is 1500 people are in my position over the last 10 years. I am a US citizen and shouldnt be forced to do NS just to visit a country.

Did I poke the right button? You are missing the whole point by a mile. Singapore government don't care if there are 50,000 like yourself, This guidelines is already set in stone. There's a few tweaking but no really much room to negotiate. What you intend to do, others have gone the same beaten track and failed.

Simple logic really. But I guess to you and the poster above, using a bit of logic=snowflake. Really explains why it appears to me there's actually support amongst Singaporean citizens for such backwards policies, which given what appears to be both of your education levels, is incredibly sad.
I have two degrees and a master in B.Science but yet again I forgive you as you do not know me. I don't should from the hip. All said by myself is tried and tested by many before you. Tell me something I don't know and I will sit up and listen
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:58 pm

NSproblems2018 wrote:I am a US citizen and shouldnt be forced to do NS just to visit a country.

Simple logic really. But I guess to you and the poster above, using a bit of logic=snowflake.
Mad Scientist, at significant personal risk and cost, has provided many people on this forum with first hand knowledge and advice about NS issues and how to deal with them. I'm not going to get into details here, and, there is no one on this board with a more intimate knowledge of the issues than Mad Scientist, and no one who has suffered more for telling the truth.

When Mad Scientist tells you that lawyering up is bullshit, he's not expressing an opinion, he's giving you the benefit of experiential wisdom. You may not like what he says, and, he is telling you how it is.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 1:38 pm

NSProblems hires lawyer.
Lawyer says ok - please TT $10,000 upfront retainer. NSProblems sends money.
Lawyer writes CMPB etc. CMPB say "Issues cannot be resolved by email or remotely, NSProblems must show up in person".
Lawyer tells NSProblems - "You have to come back".
NSProblems down $10k, Lawyer up $10k.

NSproblems2018

Post by NSproblems2018 » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 5:39 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
NSproblems2018 wrote:I am a US citizen and shouldnt be forced to do NS just to visit a country.

Simple logic really. But I guess to you and the poster above, using a bit of logic=snowflake.
Mad Scientist, at significant personal risk and cost, has provided many people on this forum with first hand knowledge and advice about NS issues and how to deal with them. I'm not going to get into details here, and, there is no one on this board with a more intimate knowledge of the issues than Mad Scientist, and no one who has suffered more for telling the truth.

When Mad Scientist tells you that lawyering up is bullshit, he's not expressing an opinion, he's giving you the benefit of experiential wisdom. You may not like what he says, and, he is telling you how it is.
Appreciate it. I don't dispute he or many of you who have responded, know more than me. I am more than grateful for the responses. Most of the response was useful. I take issue with the last few sentences attacking me as if I'm special or something, followed by the next poster also providing an attack.

I think that I gather from the responses here (outside of my post) that many who post about this topic on the forum are trying to "get out of NS" because they hate the idea of serving in a military or losing 2 years or whatever other excuse they may come up with despite the fact that they are full citizens. Perhaps there is some projection going on from your common experience to me. Let me be clear: I think the idea of a standing military for a country like Singapore makes alot of sense (despite a healthy amount of non-Singaporean disagreement), and I see the value from other benefits that NS provides (such as common experience whether rich or poor, maintaining health of citizens, etc). I just question why I am lumped in when I'm not a citizen, and if anything I was actually ONLY a US citizen until I was 4-5 months old.

At the end of the day, this exact situation has very simple solutions for other countries with national service requirements such as Israel, South Korea, etc. I'm not attacking the country, but we can certainly separate all that Singapore has to offer from a policy that may be backward.

Thank you all for taking time of your days to respond to this.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:20 am

IT's difficult to have any sympathy to those who complain when the procedure to leave Singapore and her NS obligations is laid out and not particularly difficult if followed in a timely manner by emigres. We have issue with those emigre parents who want to have their cake and eat it to and in their usual corrupt mentality think there is another way around the rules when frankly, there is not.