Singapore Expats

Returning to the US after marrying an SG citizen

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
chalkyboard

Returning to the US after marrying an SG citizen

Post by chalkyboard » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 10:45 pm

My spouse and I married earlier this year (registered in SG/ROM). In her past 3 vacations to the US pre-marriage, she entered the US using the ESTA/visa waiver scheme.

Now, we are concerned that US immigration or CBP staff may try to deny her entry into the US, out of concern that she may try to overstay and reside permanently in the US, which is most definitely not happening.

Has anyone had any similar experience in this regard? Are we not supposed to not use the ESTA/visa waiver scheme? I haven't been able to find much official guidance after some googling.

Only thing I've considered doing was bringing documents proving strong ties to their home country, such as letters of employment, pay stubs, vacation permission slips, etc.

I know the chances of potential problems is unlikely, but if I would like to avoid any trouble if i can! I've already sent a message to the Department of State. Will add their response if they do respond ...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Returning to the US after marrying an SG citizen

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 25 Aug 2018 1:11 pm

She will have no issue using WV. The only issue may be after entry if she applies for an AOS (adjustment of status and then applies for an immigrant visa) but even then it's not likely.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Aug 2018 10:20 pm

When I take my wife of 35 years to the US I use the ESTA/visa waiver scheme for her as well. We have to as she is not a resident alien and never has been. She had a green card for 3 years but we gave it up when I decided to stay in Singapore for the foreseeable future. That was back in the 1980's.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SeanAustin

Post by SeanAustin » Mon, 04 Nov 2019 10:05 pm

I have the same issue, did it get resolved. The information on this esta USA website for Singaporians does not give any information that is useful at all. Thanks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Nov 2019 10:11 pm

It won't be an issue unless it's blatantly obvious your spouse does not intend to leave. If you're doing a sneak in and AOS type migration be careful not to give it away. I routinely (as an Aussie) travel with my US wife to the states every year or more. CBP are usually welcoming.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!