Singapore Expats Forum

Cockroaches and pets at home

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Terrified

Cockroaches and pets at home

Postby Terrified » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 8:13 am

Obviously we have quite a roach problem in our appartement. We moved in 6 months ago, and it is my impression that they either walk in from outside (balcony door can't be closed flush), or that we inherited this from the previous renters. We keep everything clean, all the time. We don't let food outside and we clean the dishes right away. We empty the garbage regularily. At times, if we left only one bowl for soaking in the sink over night, the next morning we had them sitting there already. I don't believe this is normal.

Now here's the newest problem: we have a cat and certainly need to leave him food and water outside. Recently it looks like the roaches discovered that as well and, grossly enough, are even coming out in the morning time. This happened never before and I guess that tells me, the problem is getting out of control, if there was any at the first place.

Anybody a tip? Did you have the same problem and what did you do with the food and water bowls? I don't mind the chemical hammer, but what about my hungry cat?

sydneymak

Postby sydneymak » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 5:18 pm

i used aromatherapy. insects don't like the plants' smell. yet it is safe on human and even your cat. i cleanse the indoor environment, get rid all the odour and insects, as well as aromatherapiutic effect 4 in 1 benefits.... you try this and see.

Terrified

Postby Terrified » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 7:56 pm

What aroma should I look for? And how to apply it? Is it an oil or a spray?

Thanks for this tip!

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aromatherapy

Postby joop » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:59 pm

Terrified wrote:What aroma should I look for? And how to apply it? Is it an oil or a spray?

Thanks for this tip!

Try Citronella.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Dating | Forum | Property

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Cockroaches and pets at home

Postby Splatted » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:17 pm

k;lkl
Last edited by Splatted on Sat, 15 Apr 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snufffy

Postby snufffy » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 8:05 pm

Supermarket sells those little packets of " poision " which will kill the roaches, and " poison " those in the same nest.

Its very effective if you don't have any kids who could accidentally tear them off the corners and put them into mouths.

Boogers22

Re: Cockroaches and pets at home

Postby Boogers22 » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:18 pm

Terrified wrote:Obviously we have quite a roach problem in our appartement. We moved in 6 months ago, and it is my impression that they either walk in from outside (balcony door can't be closed flush), or that we inherited this from the previous renters. We keep everything clean, all the time. We don't let food outside and we clean the dishes right away. We empty the garbage regularily. At times, if we left only one bowl for soaking in the sink over night, the next morning we had them sitting there already. I don't believe this is normal.

Now here's the newest problem: we have a cat and certainly need to leave him food and water outside. Recently it looks like the roaches discovered that as well and, grossly enough, are even coming out in the morning time. This happened never before and I guess that tells me, the problem is getting out of control, if there was any at the first place.

Anybody a tip? Did you have the same problem and what did you do with the food and water bowls? I don't mind the chemical hammer, but what about my hungry cat?

Simple solution...bring the cat indoors for a few months (or wherever else you DON'T want roaches) and they will disappear. At first, the cat will eat the roaches, and sometimes will kill them and leave them on display for you to see as a trophy. After a while, the roaches will learn that there's a cat around and they will stop coming around. Trust me...this works. I've had many cats for many years. Whenever we have pest issues, we would bring them indoors for a while and the pests disappear for a few months.

Terrified

Postby Terrified » Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:32 am

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

Boogers22 - I can't say the same of my cat. He ate maybe a fly or two in his life under my eyes, that's about it. Also, the cockroaches in my home don't even sense that we will spray them to death every time we see them. I actually can't imagine they have so much brains as to foresee their fate and stay away. Unfortunately, that is to say.

The most effective so far was really the bait stuff. It safed our day for nearly three weeks. Now another population seems to form again, the small ones are getting out again. *sigh* I am looking forward to leaving this hot climate and leave these guys behind.