Singapore Expats

Refused SG entry, how to get him back if we want to get married?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
feshakov

Re: Refused SG entry, how to get him back if we want to get married?

Post by feshakov » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Look, attitudinally speaking, you're not doing yourself any favors, as you come across loud and clear that the Singapore government really had no right to do what they did and that you all are persecuted, injured parties. That attitude, plus four dollars, will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Like it or not, your husband got himself a record as the result of his travels. The comment, "The MOM responded that they see that there is a negative record but they are not able to know why" is evidence of this. As you say, your goal is to get this record clean up, further, using your job and your marriage is not the approach that is going to work.

If MoM found a negative record, and you husband hasn't committed any other grievous error/situation/faux pas, the it's pretty clear that it is the ICA that has provided the negative report. Your goal has to be to convince ICA, not MoM, that the negative report was unwarranted.

Through calls and if necessary, showing up in person, you must find out exactly what it is that ICA finds negative. Perhaps your husband needs to do this, or an appointed attorney. Once you know what the alleged infringement is, you'll better be able to deal with it.

You will not be successful if your approach is, "he didn't mean to do it," or "that wasn't really an infringement." You must demonstrate that the travel pattern that created the problem in the first place was misinterpreted by the ICA as doing visa runs. Your husband is currently in the same box as all those folks who DO make visa runs, and they have every excuse in the book.

I agree with PNGMK about getting your embassy involved, only, I'd do it with ICA, not MoM.
I never suggested that the Singapore government does not have a right to do that, of course they have, it's their country and they do whatever they want, we are just foreigners here. The problem here for me is that I don't see any clear reason for them to doing that and therefore I am not able to give them the explanation for our "wrong" actions. If it is an overstay issue why it would be "confidential"? Maybe there is something else that they don't like in his profile and we can just forget about Singapore because they will never let him in. So it is better for me to quit my job here right now and to go somewhere else. I spent a huge amount of time and money to get my MBA diploma+secure a job in this country and I just don't want to invest in my career here if I don't feel the security of having my family together with me.

I went to ICA several times in person - no explanation except: "you can write an email to ICA feedback email or fill this form, so we can reassess his profile again". Of course, I did that and I got the same response: "your request was rejected and the reason is confidential". They say the same thing on telephone. Do you think if I re-request a visa entry for him again but with our fresh marriage certificate will make a difference this time? the last time I spoke to ICA we were not married yet.

I would love to find a competent attorney if you can advise one that would be great!

He never meant to overstay or to do a visa run. The first time we came to Singapore we planned to stay only for 2 months until my graduation. At the moment I had secured a job position in Switzerland and did not have any intention to stay in Singapore. But after 2 months here we fell in love with the country. We really enjoyed the city, the fast-pacing economy, the well defined and respected rules. The absence of criminal elements in the streets and a high level of security. We just felt right in this place. Anyway, we left Singapore end in December 2017 as it had been planned before. But once left, we missed Singapore so much so after 3 months a rejected my job offer in Switzerland and came to Singapore in order to build my career here. Honestly, the paperwork with my LTVP, job interviews and request for EP took much longer time than I expected. We came back to Singapore in mid-march 2018 and I only got my job authorization in mid-July 2018. Just one week after my boyfriend was rejected to enter Singapore. The rest of the story I already told you at the beggining of this conversation.

So we really did not intend to overstay or smth like that.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 1:02 pm

feshakov wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Perhaps ask your local embassy for advice. They (in the old days) sometimes had a liasion / consular officer who had cultivated local contacts who would give the back story.
I tried to contact the French embassy, they responded that they cannot help and that we should make a request to Singapore authorities for visa entry, what we actually already did twice and each time the reason of rejection was not provided under "confidentiality" terms.

I will anyway ask them if they know any competent local lawyers as you suggested. Thank you.
Yeah some of the European embassies don't have that much stroke (you can correlate the pull of a country by how much they defended Singapore during WWII interestingly enough. The Aussie, NZ, American's, Canadians and then the Brits who died for Singapore still reap the benefits of that sacrifice while the Italians and some other Axis powers like Italy live in shitty little office type embassies and have very little pull - I guess France is in the middle somewhere - no Frenchman died in Singapore defending her from the Japs but neither did they provide assistance to the Japs).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 1:08 pm

There's more to this than a visa run issue I think. Who knows what though. Has your bf/husband been red flagged with interpol? Has he used illicit drugs? Is he HIV+? Is he politically active particularly in LBGTI or other hot topics? Does he run a blog with controversial opinions or does he post same on FB/Twit/IG? Does he have a family background that might cause Singapore issues? What does his home country criminal record look like? We're just guessing here. I'm so sorry for your issues.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 1:19 pm

I'd also add you're being told the response is confidential to stop you being able to successfully challenge it. I'm afraid your Singapore journey is probably over.

feshakov

Post by feshakov » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 3:10 pm

PNGMK wrote:There's more to this than a visa run issue I think. Who knows what though. Has your bf/husband been red flagged with interpol? Has he used illicit drugs? Is he HIV+? Is he politically active particularly in LBGTI or other hot topics? Does he run a blog with controversial opinions or does he post same on FB/Twit/IG? Does he have a family background that might cause Singapore issues? What does his home country criminal record look like? We're just guessing here. I'm so sorry for your issues.
No for Interpol, no for drugs (he even does not smoke and does not drink alcohol) He has a perfect health as he is a professional sportsman (volleyball, many years in National level 2 of French volleyball team). He does not speak English well and is not active on any social network (except FB volleyball groups to be able to organize/participate games and amical competitions). His family does not have any record with Singapore, He is the first one to come here, all the others are in France. Pure criminal record in any country in the world, except for a couple driving fines such as wrong parking or smth like that. So truly, no clue for me!

feshakov

Post by feshakov » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 3:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:I'd also add you're being told the response is confidential to stop you being able to successfully challenge it. I'm afraid your Singapore journey is probably over.
As I understood he can still come back after 2 years of ban, yes?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 4:38 pm

feshakov wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I'd also add you're being told the response is confidential to stop you being able to successfully challenge it. I'm afraid your Singapore journey is probably over.

Depends on why he was banned.

feshakov

Post by feshakov » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 5:08 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
feshakov wrote:

So, we came back to the same problem - we need to know the confidential reason for his ban, how to access this if it is confidential?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 12 Sep 2018 5:18 pm

feshakov wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
feshakov wrote: As I understood he can still come back after 2 years of ban, yes?

So, we came back to the same problem - we need to know the confidential reason for his ban, how to access this if it is confidential?
ICA has the right not to reveal the reason. You can try applying after 2 years and see.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Sep 2018 10:13 am

Ask to speak to the French ambassador or most senior consular officer. Be persistent. It is your right to have your country assist you. If the ambassador or senior consular staff put a formal query in through the MFA you may get a proper answer. Use whatever contacts you have in the French community to speak directly to the Ambassador. This is actually a troubling case now. It has the potential if you chose to go public to derail how other French citizens and investors view Singapore. This is nuts. You are not some subcontinental trying to flagrantly break Singapore rules. As a hint I have found long term expat residents of Singapore usually know their ambassador or embassy staff or have friends who do.

feshakov

Post by feshakov » Thu, 13 Sep 2018 12:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:Ask to speak to the French ambassador or most senior consular officer. Be persistent. It is your right to have your country assist you. If the ambassador or senior consular staff put a formal query in through the MFA you may get a proper answer. Use whatever contacts you have in the French community to speak directly to the Ambassador. This is actually a troubling case now. It has the potential if you chose to go public to derail how other French citizens and investors view Singapore. This is nuts. You are not some subcontinental trying to flagrantly break Singapore rules. As a hint I have found long term expat residents of Singapore usually know their ambassador or embassy staff or have friends who do.
Thank you, I will try to figure out if I have any contacts.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 14 Sep 2018 6:15 pm

feshakov wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Ask to speak to the French ambassador or most senior consular officer. Be persistent. It is your right to have your country assist you. If the ambassador or senior consular staff put a formal query in through the MFA you may get a proper answer. Use whatever contacts you have in the French community to speak directly to the Ambassador. This is actually a troubling case now. It has the potential if you chose to go public to derail how other French citizens and investors view Singapore. This is nuts. You are not some subcontinental trying to flagrantly break Singapore rules. As a hint I have found long term expat residents of Singapore usually know their ambassador or embassy staff or have friends who do.
Your mission, if you succeed, is to convince the French ambassador to send an official query as to why your husband is being denied entry. An offical communique cannot be ignored, but they won't want to do it lightly. It will get a response (which of course may be "confidential") but it should trigger a fresh review in ICA as to why your husband is banned.

feshakov

Post by feshakov » Sat, 15 Sep 2018 5:04 pm

PNGMK wrote:
feshakov wrote:
Your mission, if you succeed, is to convince the French ambassador to send an official query as to why your husband is being denied entry. An offical communique cannot be ignored, but they won't want to do it lightly. It will get a response (which of course may be "confidential") but it should trigger a fresh review in ICA as to why your husband is banned.
Thank you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:02 am

The French Ambassador / Consular officals can do it. They just don't like using brownie points unless it's for their mates or on order from their masters.

yesitsme

Post by yesitsme » Fri, 28 Sep 2018 5:15 pm

<You are not some subcontinental trying to flagrantly break Singapore rules>

Really sorry to OP for her situation. Diversion on the thread but the above seems like casual racism to me? Or are we talking about some published statistics of what Subcontinental people are doing with rules? There are rules in letter and spirit. Visa runs are just as violative of the spirit of 30-days Short Term Stay rule, as with subcontinental trying to bend the system !!!