Singapore Expats

Even a Crazy Rich Asian cannot dodge NS/CMPB!

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Even a Crazy Rich Asian cannot dodge NS/CMPB!

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 5:36 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... bligations

"Mr Kevin Kwan failed to register for National Service (NS) in 1990, despite notices and letters sent to his overseas address. He also stayed overseas without a valid exit permit. Mr Kwan is therefore wanted for defaulting on his NS obligations," Mindef said.

It added: "In 1994, his application and subsequent appeal to renounce his Singapore citizenship without serving NS were rejected."
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Re: Even a Crazy Rich Asian cannot dodge NS/CMPB!

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 7:56 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ing-it-out

Article adds that the chicken heart is now a US citizen as well. I predict this one blowing up. A lot of locals are (rightly) annoyed.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 23 Aug 2018 5:17 pm

PNGMK wrote:https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... bligations

"Mr Kevin Kwan failed to register for National Service (NS) in 1990, despite notices and letters sent to his overseas address. He also stayed overseas without a valid exit permit. Mr Kwan is therefore wanted for defaulting on his NS obligations," Mindef said.

It added: "In 1994, his application and subsequent appeal to renounce his Singapore citizenship without serving NS were rejected."
But then he has dodged, unless he is caught and punished.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 Aug 2018 5:25 pm

He has dodged so far....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Aug 2018 9:20 pm

Frankly, as long as Singapore insists on their draconian policies, I think we are going to see more and more of this in the future. The threat of 'what if your plane is diverted and has to land in Singapore' isn't that much of a threat anymore. And most Western businesses are well aware of the silly laws here, so, I doubt if the refusal to be transferred to Singapore, once the reason is divulged, would probably not be a roadblock to anybody's career anymore. After all, it's the only developed country in the world that is not fully developed as they still don't recognize multiple citizenships. This causes them to lose the very gifted that they are trying to keep as they will go one way or another and it's ultimately Singapore's loss because after a decade or two of soaking up all the knowledge, The Roti and Chicken Rice will try to lure them back.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 7:40 am

Well the real issue is that NS is be benefitting women in the workplace as the men fall behind both career wise and academically. It should be much much shorter to stop destroying young men's ambitions when their minds are sharpest and best for learning.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 11:22 am

Apparently he been back and forth many times if rumour to be believed.

Surely some heads have to roll.

This is very embarrassing is it not for the Govt again, as the STB and various agencies actively helped promote the filming of the movie here.

Its on the UK news websites.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 6:07 pm

Never hurt any American who was drafted (different era), they didn't fall back behind the gals. And as far as I can tell, with only a few notable exceptions (and some of them failed notably as well) there is still pretty much a glass ceiling out there for the female gender. Additionally, I though Asians were a patriarchal society? You mean the girls got bigger cojones than the guys? Oh, yeah, I remember the maid carrying the soldier's Backpack =D> .
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 6:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Never hurt any American who was drafted (different era), they didn't fall back behind the gals. And as far as I can tell, with only a few notable exceptions (and some of them failed notably as well) there is still pretty much a glass ceiling out there for the female gender. Additionally, I though Asians were a patriarchal society? You mean the girls got bigger cojones than the guys? Oh, yeah, I remember the maid carrying the soldier's Backpack =D> .
I agree with you on this 2 years behind business , surely you are "competing" with the people who graduate the same year as you?
What about the kids who go on gap years or do year internship/industrial placement , they also behind issit?

To take it to extreme , why not start work at 10 years to get a proper head start?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 7:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, as long as Singapore insists on their draconian policies, I think we are going to see more and more of this in the future.
Vindictiveness does not need to be a one-way street. It is equal opportunity for all :P . By the same measure, do not be surprise by the large number of people who try to outwit this system. We reap what we sow.

Not to mention the govt's fondness of making an example out of those who don't comply. Hence Mindef's very public and self-important proclamation of declaring Kevin Kwan a deserter. His new-found celebrity status only serves to offer more weight to gahment's self-righteouness. And wasn't it GCT himself who labelled those who migrated as "quitters". Only to have his own daughter migrate to the UK latter on.

Despite the lack of gun violence in SG, I found it to be less safe than USA. If I were to offend, even unintentionally, the powers that be, I can quickly find myself in hot water. Hello Amos Yee.

Singapore is not the only country facing this challenge of dwindling interest in the military resulting in lower enlistment rate. USA uses carrot (instead of stick) to combat the problem. It offers citizenship in exchange for military service. Can you imagine the uproar if SG were to adopt the same? The xenophobes and the tribalists would be out in full force.

Unless there is an overhaul in the SG culture and the mentality of its people. And unless they learn to overcome their own ethnocentricism, nationalism, narrow-mindedness and their love of the punitives, they will always be limited in their choices and solutions. We have already moved into a more enlightened time, the 21st century, there is not need to continue the old and depressing way of doing things lah.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 7:19 am

If you're going to have a military service then the draft is the only way to go. A voluntary army ensures that the rich avoid being cannon fodder while those without jobs or opportunities join to make a living and a life.

The draft must be universal, male and female, able and not so able. In this day and age of automation and technology, flat feet or other physical shortcoming doesn't stop an individual from performing in some way or another.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 8:00 am

All the above points are valid. We have relatives who migrated out of Germany and moved to America, generations ago, as they did not want to have anything to do with the war or the military. Although not completely similar, but what do you say about such individuals in today's context? Should leaving the country be their only choice?

I do not know the percentage within the SG population who is abhorent to the idea of serving. How strong is an army if they are manned by half-hearted souls who are forced to be there?

And when they need to secure a zone with utmost security, who do they call on? And it is things like that, that makes it hard to love Singapore. That calculativeness. Whatever..... "While their children attend local schools, Gurkhas are not allowed to marry local women."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nort ... SKCN1J10CV
Last edited by earthfriendly on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 8:43 am

In today's news it was announced by ICA the Kwan does not appear to have come into the country since 2000 based on his name and date of birth. They cannot go back prior to 2000 easy as the records are on microfiche... hahahahaha

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:44 am

PNGMK wrote:In today's news it was announced by ICA the Kwan does not appear to have come into the country since 2000 based on his name and date of birth. They cannot go back prior to 2000 easy as the records are on microfiche... hahahahaha
And the dog ate up all the microfiche.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 3:26 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:In today's news it was announced by ICA the Kwan does not appear to have come into the country since 2000 based on his name and date of birth. They cannot go back prior to 2000 easy as the records are on microfiche... hahahahaha
And the dog ate up all the microfiche.
Actually correction it was MHA. And yeah - they've got 1000 NS men sitting around doing nothing who would LOVE a chance to catch Kwan out for having slipped into Singapore unannounced....