Singapore Expats Forum

Multiple applications for Employment Pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
vah

Multiple applications for Employment Pass

Post by vah » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 4:01 pm

Hi there, first I realized this has been asked multiple times, I did search for the answers but found conflicting ones and the dates of the posts were also quite old, so I thought I will open new thread to confirm as it is quite important to my livelihood.

My current company made redundant a significant % of their employees and unfortunately I am one of those, I have 1 month to find a new job. The good thing is that I have recently secured an offer from a company (let's call it company A) which I have signed for, honestly this role does not fit very well with me, but I really can't afford financially to be unemployed so I accepted the offer. I have another process with much better fit, but I think this will only conclude in 3-4 weeks (let's call this company B).

Company A has already contacted me for application of EP, and based on my previous experience this will probably take one week at most right ? so by the time company B offer me a job (if they offer me, but I am quite optimistic), then I would already have an IPA if I remember the process correctly ? Can Company B still apply for EP for me then ?

I found conflicting answers while searching past threads, saying no multiple applications will be approved while another say that multiple IPAs is no problem as long as I choose one. Which one is correct ?

Will company A make my life difficult by refusing to pull out from application as well ? I would understand if they are angry, I would rather not do this but feel I have limited choice.
Will MoM looks at my profile adversely, having multiple applications as well ?

Thoughts and advices are very much appreciated. Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Re: Multiple applications for Employment Pass

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 10:52 pm

Technically you can have all the applications you want until an IPA is issued. Once that is issued, you are stuck with it unless you can convince the employer to withdraw the application (this is the hard part). If the employer wants to be nasty he can just sit on it until it expires (6 months I believe is the time frame). That would pretty much put paid to any prospective 2nd employer waiting that long.

Now, there is another thing to think about. If you get the offer from Company B what are you going to do? Are you going to stall him until you can, hopefully, get Company A's IPA withdrawn? That might cost you some bucks - just sayin'. Or are you going to tell him that you already have an IPA and need to get it withdrawn before he can apply (as soon as he tries, he will know that there is already and issued IPA and it will not allow him to make the application until it's withdrawn.

If that isn't bad enough, the new prospective employer as soon as he finds out, is going to look at your application with a fresh outlook as he will know you already promised one employer and therefore your word isn't worth spit. He may still hire you, but as soon as he finds himself overstaffed, guess who's going to go first? I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I've been here 36 years and been in Hr for the last 22 of them and an HR Manager of a decent sized SME (150-225 staff) for the last 13 years. In fact, out of habit, I have my HR Executive go to both EPOL and WPOL 2x a month and do a search of each of our foreign staff to see who has a pending application in. Tells me a lot, even if it's not approved.

vah

Post by vah » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:03 pm

Yes I understand my situation is quite terrible, any advices on what I can do or am I pretty much screwed?

Thanks

vah

Post by vah » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:24 pm

actually just another question if you don't mind, so if I have turned that IPA into EP there won't be any problem ? Like my current employer won't know that I have new application pending, so if I just take the job from company A and start, then negotiate a date that is a month after with company B that is fine ?

I know this is less than ideal but I really don't think I have any other choice.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:33 pm

Again, yes you can certainly do that. The prohibition is only with outstanding IPAs, not having an EP. In fact, you should never go job hunting without already having a valid EP, else you may run out of time on the SVP while you are unemployed. It's fine, but again, you are inadvertently telling the new employer that you are only their biding your time until another better offer comes along. Get my drift?

My recommendation is one should usually work at least 6 months to 1 year unless it is your first job in Singapore. If that is the case, I'd say definitely work at least one year before trying to play hopscotch. But remember, actions always speak louder than words. That's why we don't pay any attention to cover letters.

Good luck, but be careful where you aim when shooting yourself in the foot. Make sure you don't cripple yourself too badly.

vah

Post by vah » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:39 pm

my question is actually whether the company B will know that I have worked for the company A for only a few months ? Can they see my EP history ?

thanks for the advice, I am not proud of what I am doing, but don't want to get stuck in dead end job with lowballed salary because I have no choice or worse, choose risk of unemployment by rejecting the offer before IPA application while I got mouths to feed.

thanks

throwawaypep

Post by throwawaypep » Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:37 pm

SMS's attitude towards job-hopping, or as he puts it, "playing hopscotch" is rather objectionable.

You don't owe it to your employers to continue working if they can't keep up with market pay. And "market pay" is simply what you can convince an employer to pay you. Let's not pretend that employees are here for anything other than to earn money - of course they will jump if a better opportunity presents itself!

The company won't blink before cutting you lose, as you have witnessed firsthand.

You won't shoot yourself - if you have a 2-3 month stint that doesn't workout, simply leave it off your resume. Depending on your industry, you will have little difficulties finding work if you are skilled and have a good network.

Be strategic about your choices, and don't be scared to leave for greener pastures.

I have been able to nearly 10x my starting salary over the last decade. Most of the growth came from changing employers.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 12:08 am

(if you are skilled and have a good network.)

As an HR manager, your type are very hard to find here. Most, (the vast majority) end up being lateral moves for the same money or in some cases even less with a 'promise' of better wages after probation. Most shoot themselves in the foot by getting scared of being unemployed because they left their other jobs before securing a new position. And Employers are the way they are because of the employee's penchant for job hopping for as we say in the industry here, $50 or 5 minutes. ($50 or 5 minutes closer to home or to orchard road). or a different title with the same job. for every one person who made multiple jumps and managed to get vertical promotions, I can show you probably 50 who ended up making lateral moves for the same money or a pittance more. I am a hirer and not a job seeker, I reckon I've seen a fair bit more in this regard than most job seekers who know of 'somebody'.

Objectionable? Ask me if I give a sh*t. I give you the unvarnished truth, if you cannot handle, it's your problem, not mine. I've survived the last 36 years of my 71 on the little red dot and my Employer wont let me retire for another 4 years at the earliest. And put a pretty damn good sweetener out there when I turned 65 to ensure I'd stay. How long have you been here?