Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship REJECTED

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
yujin17

Post by yujin17 » Sat, 18 Aug 2018 12:12 pm

Hi and good day to all,

It's time to share my journey in our SC application.

Timeline:
Feb 2, 2017 - Managed to book an appointment for our SC application
Aug 21, 2017 - Scheduled submission of supporting documents
Aug 16, 2018 - Received a letter from ICA that showing our application has been unsuccessful.

My Profile:
35 years old / Male
Filipino, family of four, PR since 2009 (9 years)
Applied for the entire family (including my wife and 2 daughters, below 18)
CAD Designer in an Engineering company
My wife has her own business here in Singapore (Travel Agency: ACRA Registered)
Me and my wife combined monthly salary: $5,700sgd ($68.4k annually)

What do you think are the reasons why our application was rejected?
Any advice? Is it worth it if we re-apply again after 2 years? Is there any more chances that in our next application, it will be approved?

Anyway, congratulations to all the successful applicants and all the best to those people still waiting for their results.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Singapore Citizenship REJECTED

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 18 Aug 2018 12:48 pm

yujin17 wrote:Hi and good day to all,

Timeline:
Aug 16, 2018 - Received a letter from ICA that showing our application has been unsuccessful.

My Profile:
35 years old / Male

Any advice? Is it worth it if we re-apply again after 2 years? Is there any more chances that in our next application, it will be approved?

Anyway, congratulations to all the successful applicants and all the best to those people still waiting for their results.
Quick thoughts:

- Nationality and I reckon you’re not ethnically Chinese

- Low household income, especially it’s combined income and you have been in SG for at least 10 years. Have not demonstrated much career progression, at least in monetary terms.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 18 Aug 2018 2:47 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
yujin17 wrote:Hi and good day to all,

Timeline:

My Profile:
35 years old / Male

Quick thoughts:

- Nationality and I reckon you’re not ethnically Chinese

- Low household income, especially it’s combined income and you have been in SG for at least 10 years. Have not demonstrated much career progression, at least in monetary terms.
His PR was approved in 2009 when the approval rate was amongst highest, meaning that it was very easy to get PR.

In today’s world, i would say that such profile would have been difficult to be granted PR, let alone SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 18 Aug 2018 4:05 pm

bcheng74 wrote:His PR was approved in 2009 when the approval rate was amongst highest, meaning that it was very easy to get PR.

In today’s world, i would say that such profile would have been difficult to be granted PR, let alone SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto.

Maybe OP should be grateful as long as he can have his REP renewed each time it falls due.

yujin17

Post by yujin17 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 2:19 am

Thank you jamie9vardy and bcheng74 for your inputs. Now I've enlightened enough why our application was rejected. Hopefully, I can find another company that can give me a salary at least $5K monthly and my wife at least $3K monthly. By the way guys, me and my family just renewed our Re-entry permit (for PR) last August 20, 2018 and got approved the next day. I will try to re-apply again the Singapore Citizenship for the last time after a year, but this time, I will just apply only for myself. Cheers to all. =)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 4:40 am

It's a race or nationality issue. Also I think Flips have been recategorised as 'other' race after the close election as the Malay Community kicked up a stink about Flips being classed as Malay.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

yujin17

Post by yujin17 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 8:46 am

PNGMK wrote:It's a race or nationality issue. Also I think Flips have been recategorised as 'other' race after the close election as the Malay Community kicked up a stink about Flips being classed as Malay.
I don't think so. A friend of mine, a FILIPINO as well just got his SC approved 4 months ago. He's single, 32 yrs old and holding a managerial position. So I believe it's not about the race and nationality. Thanks for your input anyway. =)

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 9:55 am

yujin17 wrote:I don't think so. A friend of mine, a FILIPINO as well just got his SC approved 4 months ago. He's single, 32 yrs old and holding a managerial position. So I believe it's not about the race and nationality. Thanks for your input anyway. =)
Come on mate. You’ve been in Singapore for more than 10 years and you still can’t tell that it boils down to race and nationality.

We are not saying that Filipino or any other non-Chinese will not get approved at all. But the chances of approval are not high. How many other Filipino friends got approved that you know? Maybe for every approval, there are 5 rejections, like yourself.

Like what PNGMK said, after the water shed elections in 2011, the gahmen will not want to see the % of Chinese population drop further (I personally think that the psychological threshold is 75%).

So the flavour of the month has not changed for a long time - Malaysian Chinese, Indonesian Chinese, PRC (in that order) and everything is downhill thereafter. I’m not saying it’s impossible but only very few who will win the Toto.

On your REP renewal, you should have not problem getting it renewed as long as you’re gainfully employed, paying taxes and CPF. Getting Citizenship (for a demographic group that would not have made it for PR under the current standards) is another ball game altogether.
Last edited by jamie9vardy on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 11:57 am

yujin17 wrote:I will try to re-apply again the Singapore Citizenship for the last time after a year, but this time, I will just apply only for myself. Cheers to all. =)
Yujin17, Do you really want to tell ICA that you are willing to ditch your family in order to get SC for yourself? That's what it sounds like, especially after applying for SC with the whole family the first time. So let's say you get SC approved. What are you going to do if, after that, the government changes and the new government will not even renew your family REPs? That means they will never be able to visit the 'peens or go to JB or Batam, because if they do they will not even retain their PR. Oh, and your chances are very slim with such a low salary especially considering you also have two children. You will need at least 5K and maybe more considering the size of the family. Remember, they do NOT use combined salaries on the main applicant. The reasons for that are obvious.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 12:02 pm

Remember Flips can be Chinese race but Pinoy nationality. That can help them but generally they get thrown in the others bucket with the Caucasians and other euro/ANZ/former USSR trash. I guess technically there are some Malay speaking Muslims PI citizens who may be classified as Malay but I doubt they migrate to Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 3:26 pm

PNGMK wrote:Remember Flips can be Chinese race but Pinoy nationality. That can help them but generally they get thrown in the others bucket with the Caucasians and other euro/ANZ/former USSR trash. I guess technically there are some Malay speaking Muslims PI citizens who may be classified as Malay but I doubt they migrate to Singapore.
Most of them are in Mindano and are separatists and aligned with Al-Qaeda. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 7:23 pm

I believe success of SC application depends on both nationality, economic profile, age, and intangibles (integration, family profile etc). My SC application with family was also rejected (Pinoy PR for 11 years at the time of application). My economic profile is not too bad in my opinion (> 130K family basic annual income) but there would be "others" with better profiles. The effect of nationality makes the pie much smaller for us.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 7:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
yujin17 wrote:I will try to re-apply again the Singapore Citizenship for the last time after a year, but this time, I will just apply only for myself. Cheers to all. =)
Yujin17, Do you really want to tell ICA that you are willing to ditch your family in order to get SC for yourself? That's what it sounds like, especially after applying for SC with the whole family the first time. So let's say you get SC approved. What are you going to do if, after that, the government changes and the new government will not even renew your family REPs? That means they will never be able to visit the 'peens or go to JB or Batam, because if they do they will not even retain their PR. Oh, and your chances are very slim with such a low salary especially considering you also have two children. You will need at least 5K and maybe more considering the size of the family. Remember, they do NOT use combined salaries on the main applicant. The reasons for that are obvious.
5K salary for his race is surely not enough to get SC.

Your REP renewal is not instant and was approved after a day may clearly show something is not fully OK and they have manually processed to review your REP application. Just my observation.