Singapore Expats

Is there a best time to apply for renewal of REP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
echoytx

Is there a best time to apply for renewal of REP?

Post by echoytx » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 5:51 pm

Hello there, I am on my second 5-year renewal of REP now. The second year of being granted PR I was posted overseas by my Singapore employer and have since remained overseas. My pay has been in SGD with regular CPF contribution and tax contribution too until 3 years ago when the company stopped offering me tax equalization. CPF has always been kept up.

I renewed my REP while overseas 5 years ago. I was rejected first and upon appeal, granted another 5 years. I know I was lucky then! It is time here again and I have made plans to travel back to Singapore and will submit the online application while in Singapore. And wait for the result before leaving.

From what I've been reading here on this forum, it seems my chances are dire. I can however always ask the company to consider relocating me back to Singapore should my rejection be based on the time I spent in Singapore.

Is it worth the try? If I do ask my company for relocation back, how much time will ICA give to me to allow such move to be completed?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Is there a best time to apply for renewal of REP?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 9:15 pm

I think I would seriously start looking at a Plan B if I were you, unless you are a gambling man who enjoying losing. It doesn't look good and you would have known this after gaining your last renewal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 2:30 pm

You'll get one year.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

echoytx

Post by echoytx » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 3:01 pm

PNGMK wrote:You'll get one year.
hey thank you and that’s what i’m hoping for. if it still doesn’t happen in another year then i would also accept that my life won’t be here anymore :-|

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 6:21 pm

echoytx wrote:hey thank you and that’s what i’m hoping for. if it still doesn’t happen in another year then i would also accept that my life won’t be here anymore :-|
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I’m afraid you may not even get the one year renewal as you were absent throughout your second five-year.

Good luck nonetheless!

echoytx

Post by echoytx » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 7:42 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
echoytx wrote:hey thank you and that’s what i’m hoping for. if it still doesn’t happen in another year then i would also accept that my life won’t be here anymore :-|
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I’m afraid you may not even get the one year renewal as you were absent throughout your second five-year.

Good luck nonetheless!
Thank you!
My leaving of Singapore wasn’t really my choice at the time but after all these years and building a life outside, it indeed no longer makes sense to call myself a PR here. But with my employment continues to tie back to Singapore home office, and CPF contribution etc... i would be grateful to have the luxury of this option.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:28 am

You'll be given a limited time to get back or put your affairs in order. It will be short. A year at most maybe a few months.

echoytx

Post by echoytx » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 3:29 pm

Thank you all for your input.

I understand that I am not required to withdraw my CPF should I let the REP expire, unless I voluntarily renounce the PR status. But, do I have to notify my employer of the change of this status? And are contributions to be stopped?

Right now my company continues to contribute towards my CPF and so do I.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 7:28 pm

Incidentally I renewed my REP today in 5 minutes online. There's no way any human was involved. The databases obviously had my data and it all lined up for an approval.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 7:52 pm

echoytx wrote:Thank you all for your input.

I understand that I am not required to withdraw my CPF should I let the REP expire, unless I voluntarily renounce the PR status. But, do I have to notify my employer of the change of this status? And are contributions to be stopped?

Right now my company continues to contribute towards my CPF and so do I.
You surely need to let your employer know on your residential visa status.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 10:59 pm

Hey PNGMK, it's been 10 years already? Crap, I better go have a look at mine as I remember the two of use were some of the last to get the old 10 year REPs. I'm planning on making a FL run in November. Thanks for the heads up. Wouldn't that have been a pisser to get to the airport and find that out! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:02 pm

Bloody hell, I'm getting older, faster than I want. my 10 year one expired in 2015 and I got a 5 year one this last time so it's good until Oct 2020.

Bongy21

Post by Bongy21 » Tue, 21 Aug 2018 9:14 am

Me too, I renewed my REP last 1aug, for about 5 mins and its approved.
Its quite fast.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 8:01 pm

REP does not equal PR. You can remain a Singapore PR as long as you do not exit Singapore with a expired REP. But because of the realities of the workplace, it might be difficult to keep the PR as many types of employment require foreign travel and not being able to travel will prevent you from being employed. Renewal of REP is also contingent on residency and meaningful employment in Singapore. For you, the best outcome would be that you would be given a 1 year REP where you can start employment in Singapore and after proving your intention to stay, you will be given a new 5 year REP.

echoytx

Post by echoytx » Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:49 pm

hi guys, just an update that I have been granted a one-year REP. It is the best outcome I had realistically hoped for really. Now it's time to open that conversation with my employer.... :) Thanks all for your advice!