Singapore Expats

Which job offer would you take?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
throwawaypep

Which job offer would you take?

Post by throwawaypep » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 4:07 am

I'm at a crossroads with having to decide between 2 job offers, and I'd love to hear the forum's opinion on it.

Here is my current situation: I'm a hybrid data scientist / software engineer. I work for a large finance MNC, and make around 210k all-in. I can work remote or from home for almost 100% of my time.

My job offers: The first offer is from a local bank and the other second offer is from a large American fintech firm. The base pay is 230k for both. The American firm pays a fixed, guaranteed 3-month bonus. I expect the local bank bonus to range between 3-6 months, but it is not guaranteed.

My considerations are:

1. Compensation: I can potentially make an extra 20-60k at the local bank, depending on how bonuses go. The likely scenario is that i'll make an extra 30-40k.

2. Growth prospects: My growth at the American firm will be rather limited, unless I can find other internal roles to transition to. In contrast, i'll be reporting to very senior and influential people in the local bank, and I feel that there is a lot more potential for growth in terms of promotions / pay raises at the local bank.

3. Technical skills: The job with the American firm is a lot more technical, and I will have a lot more opportunity to develop into a better, more senior engineer. In contrast, I won't really be doing much / any technical work in the local firm.

4. Work-life balance: The American firm has a culture of WFH arrangements once you have proved yourself. I'm not sure about the local firm.

5. Brand recognition: The American firm is a lot more famous and recognized than the local firm. This is particularly important to me, because I eventually plan to leave Singapore and immigrate to the USA / UK / Canada / Australia.

I only plan on working corporate jobs for another 4-6 years. By that time, I hope to have enough money saved so I can do something more fulfilling but likely lower-paid.

I also plan to leave Singapore in 2-3 years from now, and will need to find myself a job in the country I immigrate to.

What would you do if you were me, and why?

Edit:
I feel that #2 and #3 are the most uncertain, but critical factors. The role at the American firm is well defined - I will be making technical contributions and growing my skills as an engineer. The role at the local firm is more ambiguous - it mostly involves advising senior business leaders on technology choices.

I wonder if taking the role at the local bank will open up a different class of opportunities for me? However, I must consider this in light of the fact that I only have about 4-6 years of corporate life ahead of me. Also, the lack of exercising my technical skills can make me rusty and make it harder to land other engineering focussed roles in the future.
Last edited by throwawaypep on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Which job offer would you take?

Post by bgd » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 10:13 am

The American job because of 3, 4 and 5. As you say it's for a limited time. Improve your technical skills, enjoy the work life balance and use the prestige of the US firm to land yourself another role when you relocate.

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:36 am

If I were you, I will take the American Job. Reason is:
- Bonus in Local Bank is not guaranteed.
- If you like technical, you can really improve your technical skills in American Company, which is priceless.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:58 pm

Based on the information you have supplied, the American firm is the better choice. Unless you are well familiar with the culture at the local bank, I'd take your comment, "i'll be reporting to very senior and influential people in the local bank" with a grain of salt... management styles can be exceptionally rigid and willingness to step out of the box is extremely limited.