Singapore Expats

Citizenship rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ramanpgi

Citizenship rejection

Post by ramanpgi » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 7:16 am

Wanted to get some advise and perspectives to appeal or wait and reapply.
Applied fro citizen ship 2016 Nov and received rejection yesterday.
Indian family of Four all PRs been in singapore since 2011, PR since 2013, Both of us are Doctors, Daughter and son both PRs. Applied for the entire family but received rejection.
Appreciate any thoughts, advise or suggestions on whether to appeal or wait and reapply after sometime.

NorthIndian

Re: Citizenship rejection

Post by NorthIndian » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 7:18 pm

hi , what is your annual income? What did rejection letter say? When did you submit all documents?

What do you think why did it rejected?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 7:29 pm

NorthIndian wrote:hi , what is your annual income? What did rejection letter say? When did you submit all documents?

What do you think why did it rejected?
What difference does it make? The rejection and circumstances of another application have absolutely no bearing on what is going to happen to your application. Again, you know absolutely nothing about the details of the family that was rejected, other than they were Indian. Whether their income was more or less than yours gives you zero evidence as to whether you will be approved or rejected... you might make more and be rejected anyway, you might make less and be accepted.

NorthIndian

Post by NorthIndian » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 8:33 pm

Considering Doctor is quite prestigious profession, I am just wondering what could be cause of rejection , given that whole family is a PR. Yeah, I am just doing guess work in absence of facts. Now, it is sounding more like a citizenship lottery like H1B or US citizenship lottery, for Indians specially.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 8:47 pm

NorthIndian wrote:Considering Doctor is quite prestigious profession, I am just wondering what could be cause of rejection , given that whole family is a PR. Yeah, I am just doing guess work in absence of facts. Now, it is sounding more like a citizenship lottery like H1B or US citizenship lottery, for Indians specially.
Here are a couple of possibilities... no idea if they are relevant to him. He works for a multi-national that transfers its executives every couple of years. He has no staying power... he will move wherever the company wants him to move. Not a good choice for citizenship.

His doctorate is from a questionable institution, or in a discipline not recognized by the Singapore authorities.

He has already collected more than one PR, making the authorities wonder just what his commitment is to Singapore.

He has held multiple jobs or his salary is not commensurate with his level of education and experience.

He has had gaps in employment that have been filled by going back to India... where's his staying power.

His wife went back to India to give birth because it's cheaper.

He wants to bring many of his closest relatives to Singapore.

He makes too much money... a sign that he can/will readily move at the next financial opportunity.

The already filled their Indian quota for the year.

Or, none of the above.

It IS a citizenship lottery, pure and simple. There are limits to the amount of growth (by race) that the Singapore government will allow, and that translates into quotas.

NorthIndian

Post by NorthIndian » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 8:32 am

THANKS for the reply!

yesitsme

Post by yesitsme » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 11:23 am

Purely based on anecdotal evidence, after a second REP renewal (read 10 years of continuous stay) seems to increase the citizenship hit rate noticeably for Indian origin applicants :)

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:42 pm

yesitsme wrote:Purely based on anecdotal evidence, after a second REP renewal (read 10 years of continuous stay) seems to increase the citizenship hit rate noticeably for Indian origin applicants :)
Cant say this for sure. Had a friend who has been in SG for the last 15 years and 2 kids born in SG. Still had it rejected. This is very recent rejection.

Rikitikitavi

Post by Rikitikitavi » Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:00 am

I realise this is an old post, but I was wondering if you reapplied. Re the rejection, do your kids go to an International School or a local school? As PRs they would have been guaranteed places. Furthermore, did you opt for an Indian international school? If you didn’t send your kids to a local school, it may be construed as having no intention to integrate. Sending them to an Indian international school would have been an even worse signal. Did you volunteer, etc. - basically, demonstrate any intent to integrate?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Oct 2019 11:58 pm

Rikitikitavi wrote:
Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:00 am
Did you volunteer, etc. - basically, demonstrate any intent to integrate?
volunteering no longer holds any cachet with ICA here as too many have abused it but volunteering until the get PR sor Citizenship and the stop. Now, makes no difference whether you volunteer or not as you all have been tarred with the same brush. You only need to thank your countrymen who came before you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pinkpanther

Post by Pinkpanther » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 12:35 pm

There is a certain group of people who have no real interest in integration. Unfortunately, ICA has got wind of it now. This group seems to believe that professional success and being in Singapore long term are enough to earn them PR and citizenship. Earlier, most did not apply for PR for their boys to avoid NS (the result being that ICA now rejects all PR applications that don't include the full family). They have also consistently refused to send their kids to local school. The ones that became SCs furnished all sorts of excuses for sending their kids to International Schools (older sibling attends International School, etc) and PRs wait till their kids are in grade 4 or 5 before applying for SC so that they can then appeal to MOE for exemption from local school on the plea that their kids won't be able to cope.
Attempting to demonstrate intent to integrate by doing community service is as fake as it gets when they shy away from real integration and still see themselves as expats. Everyone, including ICA, now understands this mentality.
If you belong to this category of people, ICA will make you pay the price for trying to take advantage of the system (and the country). And I have to say I completely agree with their position.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 04 Dec 2020 11:31 am

Yes, I believe that the ICA has gotten a lot more savvy over the years.

I think they should continue to shift preference toward immigrants from ASEAN who are more likely to sink roots and integrate into society. To some extent this is being forced through SC marriages to partners from ASEAN. But I think faster growth in the ‘Others’ race should be allowed, including more Thais, Vietnamese & Filipinos.

Those from countries further afield have a greater tendency to see Singapore as a stepping stone, especially to Australia & Canada. I’ve met several people here who have that goal, with no interest in settling or integrating.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr