Singapore Expats

Applying for employment pass before giving offer letter

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ahamedmoosa.s

Applying for employment pass before giving offer letter

Post by ahamedmoosa.s » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 3:24 am

Hi All,
I am a foreigner working in a reputed company as a data analyst and I got another opportunity who's my current employer's competitor.

I have got an oral offer from this new company from the hiring manager itself and a week later HR sent me the EP application form to fill and send it back to her.

However when I enquired for a written offer, they said that they will give me the written offer upon EP approval and they said they will apply for EP in a couple of days.

I request your tips and advices on how to follow up with this employer in this situation. I don't want to sound neither too desperate nor too laid back. I would like to strike a balance.

Shall I call them on the day when they said that they will EP ? I will appreciate your advice

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Applying for employment pass before giving offer letter

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 4:31 pm

Doesn't matter. Even if you and the employer both signed the employment agreement, if it a position here in Singapore between a Singaporen company and a foreigner, then the contract, while signed, isn't valid until such time as the IPA for the EP has been given. At that point, you are employed for all intents and purposes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 4:32 pm

I usually require signature upon receiving IPA.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ahamedmoosa.s

Post by ahamedmoosa.s » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. Okay , so you mean to say it's completely normal to wait for EP approval before giving out the written offer letter ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 9:46 pm

ahamedmoosa.s wrote:Thanks for the reply. Okay , so you mean to say it's completely normal to wait for EP approval before giving out the written offer letter ?

It can happen either way, BUT, my experience is that the offer letter is made, contingent upon approval of the EP such that the candidate has a clear picture of the terms and conditions of employment. The offer letter is to protect the company, not the applicant.

Note that the offer letter is not the binding document, only the signed employment contract is. So, if you are aware of the terms and conditions without an offer letter per se, verbally accept the offer, then really, it is the company at risk... they go through the steps of applying for an EP with no written assurance from you that you will accept the job.

ahamedmoosa.s

Post by ahamedmoosa.s » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The update is they allege that they have already applied for EP. I have given filled up a hard copy of EP form and sent the photo copies of my educational certificates and passport. I hope they are applying through EP Online.

However, I am not able to check it's status using the non-login EP status check facility.
It's still showing the status of the EP with my current employer. By the way , this is my third job in Singapore.

And my efforts to check the status of EP application with the HR also ended in vein , since the HR who is my point of contact is new and there is another person who handles EP related matters and she doesn't seem too Keen to give me the contact information of that person and I quietly stepped back.

Now I have to pray and hope that they have really applied for EP and it's processing.
Strong Eagle wrote:
ahamedmoosa.s wrote:Thanks for the reply. Okay , so you mean to say it's completely normal to wait for EP approval before giving out the written offer letter ?

It can happen either way, BUT, my experience is that the offer letter is made, contingent upon approval of the EP such that the candidate has a clear picture of the terms and conditions of employment. The offer letter is to protect the company, not the applicant.

Note that the offer letter is not the binding document, only the signed employment contract is. So, if you are aware of the terms and conditions without an offer letter per se, verbally accept the offer, then really, it is the company at risk... they go through the steps of applying for an EP with no written assurance from you that you will accept the job.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 7:22 pm

It sounds to me like this new company is treating you like shit. Why would you want to go to work for them when you are already working for a reputed company?

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 6:30 am

ahamedmoosa.s wrote:Thanks for the reply.

The update is they allege that they have already applied for EP. I have given filled up a hard copy of EP form and sent the photo copies of my educational certificates and passport. I hope they are applying through EP Online.

However, I am not able to check it's status using the non-login EP status check facility.
It's still showing the status of the EP with my current employer. By the way , this is my third job in Singapore.

And my efforts to check the status of EP application with the HR also ended in vein , since the HR who is my point of contact is new and there is another person who handles EP related matters and she doesn't seem too Keen to give me the contact information of that person and I quietly stepped back.

Now I have to pray and hope that they have really applied for EP and it's processing.
Strong Eagle wrote:

If EP Online status shows your existing pass details, they have not even applied. It's that easy. Don't crack your head over it. If they have applied your EP, it WILL show.

ahamedmoosa.s

Post by ahamedmoosa.s » Sat, 18 Aug 2018 3:22 am

I was pretty honest with me on my reason for leaving my current employer and it's for a higher pay. Keeping that in mind , I guess they are probably trying to keep me in dark.

Maybe they feel that if they give me an offer letter now , I will use it to negotiate my pay with my current employer.