Singapore Expats

Any Australians know how to get a passport for a baby born in SG?

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
beck_and_chris

Any Australians know how to get a passport for a baby born in SG?

Post by beck_and_chris » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm pregnant with my second baby. Last time I went home to Australia (where my husband and I are both citizens, we're both in Singapore on EPs) to have the baby, then moved back to Singapore. This time around, I'm going to have the baby in Singapore. But it's really hard to find information on how I'd go about getting an Australian passport for my newborn. The Aust High Commission here suggested I have to apply for 'citizenship by descent' for the baby, and then could apply for an Australian passport. But this seems to take at least two months to get the citizenship papers - and my sister-in-law is getting married in Australia one month after the baby is due!
Has anyone been through this process? How long did it take? Is there an 'express' way to do it? Also, what exactly does the SG hospital (I'll go to NUH) give you when the baby is born - is it a birth certificate or just an acknowledgement of the birth that you need to convert to a birth certificate... somewhere, somehow?
Really appreciate any advice!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Any Australians know how to get a passport for a baby born in SG?

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 11:13 am

You need to register the birth with the AHC and from there get a passport. I'm not surprised they're unhelpful. Given how hard it is and how short on time you are why no give birth in Australia?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

beck_and_chris

Post by beck_and_chris » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 3:03 pm

Unfortunately work-wise it’s a lot easier to give birth in SG- my husband will be teaching then and cannot come to Australia for long periods, so if we plan to give birth in Australia it’s likely he won’t make it there in time. It’s also not certain the airlines will let you fly after 36 weeks pregnant, and that’s the earliest I could start my maternity leave...so I either lose two months pay or risk getting stuck in SG anyway.
It’s looking like we might have to aim for an Australian birth though. On further investigation it seems like there’s a process to convert the ‘live birth record’ given to you at the hospital into an actual birth certificate, before we could then apply for citizenship by descent... it’s sounding way too complicated. If anyone has been through it please let me know. Else i may have to give up and give birth in Australia without my husband :(

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 12:57 pm

Honestly the Australian Dept of Immi has become SO UNHELPFUL thanks to endless budget cuts and the asinine reactions by Dutton to the refugee people in the last few years I would not risk depending on them for anything, esp with regards to timing. Of course you could leave your bub in Singapore and fly home for the wedding.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ms.yang

Post by ms.yang » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 12:02 am

Hi Beck, I am not an Australian but I'm nt sure on the passport part. However, I am pretty clear about what the hospital gives you.

After your baby's birth, hospital will provide you with a Singapore Birth Certificate and a 1-mth visa for the baby. Within the one mth, you might want to get the passport done, coz u need it to renew that 1 mth visa for other formalities.
:) In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Kind.

beck_and_chris

Post by beck_and_chris » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 9:25 am

Thanks Yang, that clears up one aspect of it anyway. Much appreciated

ms.yang

Post by ms.yang » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 2:39 pm

beck_and_chris wrote:Thanks Yang, that clears up one aspect of it anyway. Much appreciated
You r most welcome. The dox needs both u and ur husband's supporting dox so when u r heading to hospital plz being along both u and his passport and EP.
:) In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Kind.