Singapore Expats

Work visa question

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
shishi1969

Work visa question

Post by shishi1969 » Mon, 06 Aug 2018 3:39 am

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate any guidance. I'm a UK citizen and I've just been offered a wonderful job based in SG.

My new employer has sent me an EPOL document to complete, on the declaration it asks if I have ever been refused entry to or deported from another country.

Unfortunately I have been deported and banned from Thailand for a period of 5 years, not for a criminal offence but for an overstay of my visa, it was a very complicated and unfortunate situation.

Processing of the EPOL document apparently takes a few weeks and like buses I've been offered 3 jobs at the same time but my preferred job and location is in SG.

I've tried 'official' sources but it all seems to be guess work whether my Employment Pass application will be approved or declined because of my ban and I need to make a decision.

My new employer is aware that I can't go to Thailand for a period of time but my main work focus will be in SG and other SEA countries so it's not an issue for them.

So my question is does anyone have any experience of similar situations and what happened? Or can anyone suggest an expert that I can explain my situation to and ask their opinion?

Apologies for waffling and any advice would be really welcome.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Work visa question

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 06 Aug 2018 11:17 am

All you can do is be honest, and explain the situation. My sense is that this will not cause your EP to be denied, or if it is, an appeal with a detailed explanation might do the trick.

I would not risk lying on the application, as the chances of being found out are non zero... even Thailand immigration is much improved.

I will say that five years is a long ban... suggests that you didn't overstay a 90 day visa by a few days... more like you were in the country for a couple of years before you got caught... that could make a difference... but still doesn't change the need for honesty.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 06 Aug 2018 2:37 pm

There have been issues previously reported on this forum with cross contamination from issues in Thailand affecting people's EP's ... I suspect it's been more around drugs though.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

shishi1969

Post by shishi1969 » Mon, 06 Aug 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks Strong Eagle, appreciate the feedback. No rhythm or reason to bans unfortunately. A chap I met who had previously been banned received no ban second time around as he happened to speak to a more reasonable officer. I guess I have to apply and see. Have a great evening.

shishi1969

Post by shishi1969 » Mon, 06 Aug 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks PNGMK, no criminal offense. Appreciate the response.