Singapore Expats

Applying citizenship for my baby

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mintygreen

Applying citizenship for my baby

Post by Mintygreen » Wed, 01 Aug 2018 12:00 am

Hi all, I have completed my SC journey and is waiting for ica approval letter to proceed to renounce my msia citizenship. I am planning to apply SC citizenship for my newborn son (may 2018) (msian) after I get my sg citizenship. My question is, Will he be considered for Singapore citizenship by descent under (d)?

A minor can be considered for Singapore Citizenship by Descent, if:
a) the father is a Singapore Citizen by Birth and is in a legal marriage with the mother; or
b) the father is a Singapore Citizen by Registration and is in a legal marriage with the mother, and the child has not
acquired the citizenship of the country of birth by reason of being born in that country; or
c) the mother is a Singapore Citizen by Birth and the child was born on or after 15 May 2004; or
d) the mother is a Singapore Citizen by Registration and the child was born on or after 15 May 2004; and the child has
not acquire citizenship of the country of birth by reason of being born in that country; or
e) either of the child’s parents who are Singapore citizen by Descent has to complete an additional Annex to the application declaring their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the parent fulfils
the requirements stipulated in (a) or (b) of the attached Annex.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Applying citizenship for my baby

Post by therat » Wed, 01 Aug 2018 8:33 am

No.

It stated
"the child has
not acquire citizenship of the country of birth by reason of being born in that country; or"

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

nchls_nc

Post by nchls_nc » Sun, 05 Aug 2018 5:35 pm

Your child won't be qualified under the descent scheme.

However, you can apply citizenship for him/her by using family ties scheme. Just proceed to ICA Building level 6 and the friendly staffs there will tell you the next step needed for the application. (The process is faster than the normal citizenship application)

shuigao

Post by shuigao » Mon, 21 Oct 2019 4:25 pm

nchls_nc wrote:
Sun, 05 Aug 2018 5:35 pm
Just proceed to ICA Building level 6 and the friendly staffs there will tell you the next step needed for the application. (The process is faster than the normal citizenship application)
Hi nchls_nc (and anyone else who has experience).

I called up ICA and they mentioned to me that e-Service / online is the only way to apply for Citizenship. Can I confirm that the ICA person is correct, or can I still show up to ICA level 6 and get it expedited? (I realize that the post I'm quoting is more than a year old).

My case: My wife and I (SPR) just had a baby in September, and then 1 week later got our Citizenship In-Principal-Approval letters. Therefore the baby's birth cert says "not a Singapore Citizen at birth" and will need to have Citizenship by Registration (I guess) after my wife and I complete the SG Journey and take the Citizenship Oath.

Just wondering how long it will take to then complete the Citizenship formalities for my baby as well (because until that's done I have to keep renewing his Special Pass every month ...)
shuigao's travel & food blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/