Singapore Expats

Related to Emigration

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
xander9841

Related to Emigration

Post by xander9841 » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 9:49 pm

I was wondering why people move from Singapore to other countries?
Singapore is developed and every foreigners comes to settle in Singapore.
And why Local citizens are revoking their citizenship and leaving Singapore for settling in foreign country?
I would like to know the reasons

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Related to Emigration

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 10:09 pm

The biggest one is that they don't want their little Mandarin momma's boy's to have to do NS. The rest? No matter how good Singapore is they will ALWAYS think the grass is greener. Thing is, most of them return after 5 to 10 years cause they cannot do without their chicken rice and roti prata.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

xander9841

Post by xander9841 » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 10:20 pm

i want to know more about the situation of the Singapore like politics and other foreign employment affecting it too?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 7:36 am

Singaporeans are considered desirable immigrants by some economies due to their education and language skills. Also Singapore has a number of agreements that allows her citizens to obtain working visas easily in other countries such as the USA, from there some chose to stay. The rate of migration out of Singapore is is pretty stable though.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 9:19 am

Yeah, about 1000~1200 families annually is what I've been told, but cannot verify it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:16 pm

xander9841 wrote:I was wondering why people move from Singapore to other countries?
Singapore is developed and every foreigners comes to settle in Singapore.
And why Local citizens are revoking their citizenship and leaving Singapore for settling in foreign country?
I would like to know the reasons
Most Singaporeans leaving seem (from my observations) to be middle-class professional types. For those, living in another, reasonably wealthy, country offers far better value for money. You don't need to take out effectively a second mortgage to own a car, and you can buy an actual house / freehold flat for the same money as a HDB with a 99-year lease. Although this is obviously subjective, compared to the likes of London, New York, Hong Kong, San Francisco, etc, Singapore may seem boring; it has the cultural verve of a third tier 'Western' or international city. And some people probably just want to get away from their overbearing parents.

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:27 pm

Just to add, half of the Singaporeans that I know who have settled abroad are homosexual.

Of the young families that I know, some cite not wanting to put their children through the Singaporean education system.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 1:01 pm

It amuses me to see how horrified they are at paying real taxes when they migrate though....

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 1:15 pm

PNGMK wrote:It amuses me to see how horrified they are at paying real taxes when they migrate though....
Very true!

xander9841

Post by xander9841 » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 9:54 pm

Thank You everyone for the Suggestions and information.It was very helpful
Can you guys provide me some resources or where i should look to find the statistical information related with the emigration survey or analysis done by third party or other legit site?

xander9841

Post by xander9841 » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 9:56 pm

PNGMK wrote:It amuses me to see how horrified they are at paying real taxes when they migrate though....
You mean to say citizen have to pay taxes if they want to renounce their citizenship to emigrate? Do you have any statistical information related to those?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:27 pm

xander9841 wrote:
You mean to say citizen have to pay taxes if they want to renounce their citizenship to emigrate? Do you have any statistical information related to those?
Oh for crying out loud. Did your mother drop you on the head as a child?

NO FFS. What I mean is in the new country Singapore immigrants are often shocked at how high taxes are compared to Singapore. For example the top marginal rate in Australia is 47% (+ 1.5% medicare levy) which kicks in a just above the median wage... compared to Singapore which has a top marginal rate of 22% which kicks in at something like the 25th percentile.