Singapore Expats

New tenant concerns unaddressed/legal concerns

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Senthilsg

New tenant concerns unaddressed/legal concerns

Post by Senthilsg » Sat, 28 Jul 2018 11:20 pm

I am a 10 days old tenant in a condo unit. My unit is ground floor with patio portion.I booked this with the condition of fully furnished.Since move,I have been facing couple of issue, broadly of pests n furniture.
So , I raised my below concerns thru agent
1. Comfort of the New furniture landlord purchased
2. Pest (mosquitoes, lizards, ants) one time pest maintenance am unable to use patio due to excessive white ants n fungus beneath pebbles
3. Patio cleaning of pebbles
4.Patio Side fencing ( even cheap pvc/plastics/nets will work)
5. Mosquitoes nets cheaper ( on toilet doors/kitchen doors)so that can be used...

Owner rejected the concerns and ask me to do on my own.i didn’t accept and mentioned that willing to break lease. He is asking to pay 14 month rent, if not agree legal action .

I also upset n interested to take up legally if required. Please someone advise me as my family is out of peace n distress. As I am a foreigner, don’t know how to handle this scenario, at the same time I don’t cheat landlord . But am being played between agent and landlord. Especially agent, who rushed me to sign on agreement (Day), now countering me with that

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: New tenant concerns unaddressed/legal concerns

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 29 Jul 2018 12:26 pm

Unfortunately the unit is pretty much leased as is on the day you sign the lease unless you have specific wording in the TA for extras to be added in. I usually ask for a furniture or whitegoods allowance rather than letting the LL or PA pick the furniture as they will pick the cheapest shit they can find.

What does your TA say? Personally I think this is all pretty minor. Keep the pressure up on the agent and do some of the work yourself.

There is little legal remedy here in Singapore as there is no tenancy act.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!