Singapore Expats

getting a job as newly married to Singaporean spouse - Letter of Consent

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MisterBlue

getting a job as newly married to Singaporean spouse - Letter of Consent

Post by MisterBlue » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 4:42 pm

Hi,
I heard that after getting marriaged to Singaporean I'd need Letter of Consent to apply for jobs.
As I heard it is quite difficult to find a new job even having that Letter of Consent. Does anybody have an idea about the reality? I'm university educated, with 15+ years in MNC. I'd not like to find myself in situation that after getting married I'm permanently unemployed and have to be dependant on my wife's salary. Did any of you face such a situation? How did you manage in long term ? I just heard some rumours that it can be extremely difficult to get job before getting PR, and in general foreigners are being replaced by locals for some time. Another question: What is avarage waiting time to get PR after getting married? I've been here for 4,5 years, and have worked 4 years. Currently unemployed for 5months... :) I'm caucasian.

thanks
P
Last edited by MisterBlue on Fri, 05 Oct 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: getting a job as newly married to Singaporean spouse - Letter of Consent

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Jul 2018 5:42 pm

A litle bit of mis-information methinks. You do NOT need a Letter of Consent to get a job here. You apply for the jobs that you are qualified for and deserved to be paid market for. What will happen, though, is you will not be offered Expat salaries or perks as the employer will know that you have a local spouse and therefore you shouldn't need to worry about expat expenses as a local girl shouldn't require those kinds of things (cough, cough). Seriously though, you would have to be prepared to take up a position for local salary and salary range. This means not housing, home leaves, car allowances, educations fees for kids and the like.

However if the Employer is clued in about the LoC, then you are possibly looking at being paid below standard wage for the position. So, you don't want to used the LoC point as an opening gambit but only as a last resort if it appears that the employer would like to employ you but does not have the budget - again it will be up to you to determine what market is and what your pain threshold is. If they are unaware of the LoC then, depending on the position, and how it relates to you and getting your foot in the door here, then you may need to 'educate' them on the LoC.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 3:57 pm

Better for you and your wife to move to your home country as Singapore is no longer doing open leg, oops I mean, open door policy for foreigners. Those with local spouses notwithstanding.

chalkyboard

Post by chalkyboard » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A litle bit of mis-information methinks. You do NOT need a Letter of Consent to get a job here. You apply for the jobs that you are qualified for and deserved to be paid market for. What will happen, though, is you will not be offered Expat salaries or perks as the employer will know that you have a local spouse and therefore you shouldn't need to worry about expat expenses as a local girl shouldn't require those kinds of things (cough, cough). Seriously though, you would have to be prepared to take up a position for local salary and salary range. This means not housing, home leaves, car allowances, educations fees for kids and the like.

However if the Employer is clued in about the LoC, then you are possibly looking at being paid below standard wage for the position. So, you don't want to used the LoC point as an opening gambit but only as a last resort if it appears that the employer would like to employ you but does not have the budget - again it will be up to you to determine what market is and what your pain threshold is. If they are unaware of the LoC then, depending on the position, and how it relates to you and getting your foot in the door here, then you may need to 'educate' them on the LoC.
Could you elaborate a bit on not needing an LOC to get a job? Because I thought LOC was a requirement from MoM for LTVP-DP users. Or did you mean asking for employment via EP instead of LOC?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:54 am

chalkyboard wrote: Could you elaborate a bit on not needing an LOC to get a job? Because I thought LOC was a requirement from MoM for LTVP-DP users. Or did you mean asking for employment via EP instead of LOC?

You apply for jobs without a LOC. The LOC happens after you get the job and the employer arranges that.

SMS's other point is that it may not be the best way to go, may get a better deal with an EP.

chalkyboard

Post by chalkyboard » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 12:01 pm

bgd wrote:
chalkyboard wrote: Could you elaborate a bit on not needing an LOC to get a job? Because I thought LOC was a requirement from MoM for LTVP-DP users. Or did you mean asking for employment via EP instead of LOC?

You apply for jobs without a LOC. The LOC happens after you get the job and the employer arranges that.

SMS's other point is that it may not be the best way to go, may get a better deal with an EP.
Ah, ok. Sound advice!