Singapore Expats

Salary comparison : India vs Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Anagram86

Salary comparison : India vs Singapore

Post by Anagram86 » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 1:42 pm

Dear All,

I have been interviewing for a job in oil and gas in singapore. i have 7 years workex in india and have about 34 lakhs INR (3,400,000 INR) CTC in India. I am married with one kid.

We would like to live in a moderate life style. The interview company asked me to quote a all inclusive salary (fixed + variable + benefits). Given my current salary, do you think I can ask for 175K SGD.

Request you to give some feedback on the number.

regards

throwawaypep

Re: Salary comparison : India vs Singapore

Post by throwawaypep » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:07 pm

That would be on the high side, but no harm in asking!

Anagram86

Post by Anagram86 » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:50 pm

Thanks for your reply.

What do you think is an acceptable number ?

throwawaypep

Post by throwawaypep » Thu, 26 Jul 2018 12:10 pm

I think somewhere between 120-150k is likely what most people would get offered at your level, especially if they were interviewing for the job from outside the country. But - don't let that stop you from asking! Life can be quite expensive here, especially if your kid is of school going age.

Anagram86

Post by Anagram86 » Thu, 26 Jul 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply

ok!! i was also expecting around that number.

I am trying to calculate in-hand per month. Assuming they would give 150k, how much do you think i might get in hand permonth (after taking into consideration tax, PF, medical). I know it is too generic but trying to guess in-hand as it can vary a bit.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Jul 2018 4:42 pm

Regarding Income taxes, here is a direct link for information for foreigner and their tax liabilities, etc.

https://www.iras.gov.sg/IRASHome/Indivi ... oreigners/

If you are here more than 60 days and less than 183 days use this downloadable calculator to figure out your tax liability for the year of assessment (the previous years):

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/upload ... ulator.xls

If you are here more than 183 days or your employment pass is for at least 12 months (if you are here less than the requisite 183 days) you will be taxed as a resident. If so, use this downloadable calculator:

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/upload ... s_YA18.xls

You are not subject to any PF contributions (I'm assuming that is supposed to mean Provident Fund?) Work Visa holders are not subject to the CPF (Central Provident Fund - local name). Only Citizens and PR (Permanent Residents) are subject to this.

Medical varies from employer to employer and it would pay to have a decent one as there is not free medical here.

One thing to note, Singapore Income taxes are not PAYG, therefore you will have no deduction monthly for potential income taxes. It is on your own head to put aside monthly a requisite amount to cover the tax liability which will normally be billed in/around Sept of the year of assessment (the tax return is due however, no later than the 15th of April following the close of the tax year (for most that is a calendar year). This is why the calculators...

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers