Singapore Expats

LTVP for spouse - do I need to be employed in Singapore to sponsor my husband?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
tintin_cai

LTVP for spouse - do I need to be employed in Singapore to sponsor my husband?

Post by tintin_cai » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 8:27 am

Hello,
This is my first post here. I have a few queries about the LTVP application, and I like to know if there is anyone in the same situation and had successfully applied and obtained a spousal LTVP or LTVP+. I'm a Singaporean citizen and my husband (British Citizen) are planning to move to SG later this year.

I just graduated with a Master in London (2 years course) and have not yet secure a job and I would be the spouse sponsor for my husband. My husband is an office manager in London (salary of about gbp $28,000 a year) and his highest level of education obtained is a post-graudate higher diploma in hospitality management. We have just got married this month in London. We are planning to wrap up and move to Singapore when we began the process of the LTVP application.

Below is the application requirement for LTVP that I obtain through the ICA website:

From the Singapore citizen spouse (sponsor)
-Identity Card
-Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the past three years, and Central Provident Fund (CPF) Statement showing monthly CPF contributions for the past 12 months
-Letter of employment, stating date of commencement, designation and monthly salary. For those who are self-employed, a valid registration certificate from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and the company’s Profit and Loss Statement for the past 12 months.

I'd like to know if anyone on this forum has been successful in applying for a spousal LTVP without the SG spouse sponsor holding a job in Singapore? And if the SG spouse sponsor do need to be employed in Singapore, is there a minimum working period as a requirement before we could apply for a spousal LTVP?

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LTVP for spouse - do I need to be employed in Singapore to sponsor my husband?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:21 am

Good Luck. You might be the first. (assuming you are born wealthy and have a passive income monthly in excess of say $6K/mo) Otherwise, I think you may have a problem. As a sponsor, how are you going to support him?

How long working before you can sponsor? Good guess. I'd say at least a year (that way at least you would have one tax assessment from IRAS for proof of ability to sponsor). But even then, you would need to be able to show an income in the $5~6K/mo range.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tintin_cai

Re: LTVP for spouse - do I need to be employed in Singapore to sponsor my husband?

Post by tintin_cai » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 3:52 pm

Ok thank you for the reply. I also forgot to mention prior to my studies in London, I worked in Singapore for a couple of years, I do have a tax assessment and CPF contribution for at least 1-2 year(s) with a monthly salary of $3600 as an Architectural Assistant, just to note on the situation.

Presumably, if we go back and I get a job in Singapore, I would be looking at a salary for about $4000. Would that be a problem if we like to get the application going once I get a job in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 7:36 pm

When they say the last three NOAs they mean the last two or three years just prior to your application, not from a dozen years ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freddykeat

Post by freddykeat » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 2:20 pm

Hey OP,

I also graduated in the UK. I came back to look for a job and found it within one month. Once I have started work, I have requested employer to give me an employment certificate and apply LTVP for my wife. After 5 weeks, I have the approval from ICA.

No worries, just come back and get any jobs that with 4k should be good for you to sponsor your hubby.

I'm believe ICA not going to stop us from bringing your spouse if you are capable to support them. However, if you want to sponsor them from PR will take a little bit of time and challenges.

Hope my experience will clear your doubts.

Cheers.

tintin_cai

Post by tintin_cai » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 11:43 pm

freddykeat wrote:Hey OP,

I also graduated in the UK. I came back to look for a job and found it within one month. Once I have started work, I have requested employer to give me an employment certificate and apply LTVP for my wife. After 5 weeks, I have the approval from ICA.

No worries, just come back and get any jobs that with 4k should be good for you to sponsor your hubby.

I'm believe ICA not going to stop us from bringing your spouse if you are capable to support them. However, if you want to sponsor them from PR will take a little bit of time and challenges.

Hope my experience will clear your doubts.

Cheers.
Hi Freddykeat, sorry for late response. Thank you! That's really heartening know that. Although, I understand that the process duration would be different for everyone, but it is good to know that someone out here has been through the same. It is great that we now have some ideas on what to expect when we move to Singapore. This would be extremely helpful information for my husband as it would be a bigger step for him to move to a entirely new country from where he came from.

It is comforting to know that Singapore immigration (ICA) is really helpful, as some countries might not be as accommodating.

In any case, thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!

jhen032

Asking about the working hours for ltvp.

Post by jhen032 » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 8:46 pm

Hi,

I would like to ask, if ltvp holder have required working hours?

Thank you

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Asking about the working hours for ltvp.

Post by bgd » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 1:29 pm

jhen032 wrote:Hi,

Thank you
LTVP isn't a work pass, if gives you the right to live in Sg but not to work. See the below link re working with LTVP.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... vp-holders

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Asking about the working hours for ltvp.

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 2:23 pm

bgd wrote:
jhen032 wrote:Hi,

Thank you
LTVP isn't a work pass, if gives you the right to live in Sg but not to work. See the below link re working with LTVP.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... vp-holders
https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ued-by-ica

Other family members of Singaporeans and permanent residents
Unmarried children (who are below 21 years old) of Singaporeans and permanent residents, who are holding LTVPs can also work in Singapore if they get a Letter of Consent (LOC).

Parents or parents-in-law of Singaporeans and permanent residents who are holding an LTVP can work in Singapore on a Work Permit. They will only be counted under the employer's overall quota.

The rest of family members who are not holding an LTVP will need to qualify for an Employment Pass, S Pass or Work Permit on their own merit to work in Singapore.

jhen032

Post by jhen032 » Mon, 20 Aug 2018 10:45 pm

Hi

Thank you for the information.