Singapore Expats

Just landed and 34 weeks pregnant!

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
Escapedprisoner

Re: Just landed and 34 weeks pregnant!

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What Aussiemama should know is that she should just go to KK Womens' & Children's hospital and be done with it.
That’s your opinion.

Every time the topic of public vs private healthcare in SG comes up, you always see these dogmatic trolls that suddenly spring up sounding very vehement. Really do wonder at times if there’s vested interests.

There are so many facets that a pregnant woman must consider; including the fact that public hospitals in SG are generally only cheaper for locals with citizenship. Even PRs got their subsidies reduced, and the fact that to get any subsidies, one must be a subsidized patient aka referred by a polyclinic, and one may not choose her own obstetrician and will be instead assigned to any random doctor who’s not yet a consultant and also will have to stay in four to five bedded crammed ward and below.

Or the fact that even for citizens, if you go to a public hospital and ask to see a specific doctor or stay in a A1 single person room you are entitled to Zero subsidies.

Or that private (non subsidized) patients of public hospitals pay very high bill that are not far off from private hospital rates.

Ahhh none of that came up I see.

Seeing that she obviously doesn’t qualify for any subsidies anyway, she might as well not stay in a non-air-conditioned 8 person Ward and be attended to and baby delivered by an inexperienced resident. So this means she will be going as a private (non subsidized) patient in a public hospital and paying rates that are the same as private hospitals.

In fact extremely popular hospitals among local moms like Thomson and Mount Alvernia and Parkway East house the most popular obstetricians in Singapore (not the senior citizens like what u see in Mount E Orchard) but they are also very very experienced lol. And the total outlay will not be far off from going to dingy SGH. Lol

Aussiemama, as someone who has given birth in SG before I escaped, I can vouch for some of the best OBs in Singapore, PM me if you need names :D. Mount Alvernia is very popular among local moms and some expats. And you don’t want a senior citizen too one of those at Mount E Orchard as you do need a certain vigor for normal delivery esp if he needs to be using the suction cup (vacuum assisted).

Someone in his/her late 40s and early 50s is perfect age for obstetricians.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:02 am

Sounds like a vested interest for sure. That kind of solicitation on this forum could get you busted.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:04 am

By the way, “If you had any problems you’d go or be referred to KKH” is nothing more than a pervading rumor in SG that isn’t medically tested. This false rumor stemmed from the fact that SG was barely third world not long ago and most people can’t afford the NICU fees of private hospitals. Those who ended up with premature babies in NICU of private hospitals incurred bills of $30-50k and the rumor then spread “Oh if anything happens you’ll want to be in KK”. It says absolutely nothing about the facilities of the hospitals. Mount E Orchard is one of just 3 hospitals in SG with neonatal NICU Ward thats fit for the top class of emergency neonatal cases (there are three tiers) pertaining to prematurity. All the other hospitals including SGH neonatal ward can serve up to second most serious tier.

Private hospital neonatal can serve the premature care of most situations and the direst situations can be served in Mount E Orchard but it’s just a matter of whether you have the dollars to pay or not.

Besides neonatal I know for a fact that the line “If you had any problems you’d go or be referred to KKH” is all about costs, knowing so many pregnancy cases in SG.

When the case is rare like flesh eating bacteria or defects all the more public hospitals can’t hack it.

Ever heard of fetuses that have poor ultrasound scanning results (heart defect, missing gastric bubble), suspected defects?

Invariably they all go to this obstetrician in Camden Medical who is renowned for his super expensive high tech machine that costs high six almost seven figures that can scan so clearly the doctor can see down to each artery of the fetus’s heart. Yes.

That old guy in his 60s that charges S$650-800 per scan was in NUH a long time ago one of the stars of cos he’s long transited to private.

He’s the only one in SG with that level of skills sub-specializing in scanning within obstetrics. Can find in SG public hospitals? Public hospitals fans can go and find slowly.
Last edited by Escapedprisoner on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like a vested interest for sure. That kind of solicitation on this forum could get you busted.
I have PR of a developed country; so definitely no more vested interests in SG. You probably should go read some forums where locals are to understand local forum’ culture where people look for referrals all the time and if not posted then in PM instead of staying in your foreigners bubble then saying that you know the country very well.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 7:03 am

I think the weakness is all of our arguments here is we have personal anecdotes that reinforce each side but little hard evidence. I'll stick to avoiding private hospitals that have almost killed friends and stay with NUH and the like that have saved my wife and helped me out. OP can decide where she wants to go probably based on her insurance company coverage.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 7:08 am

(and why is an escapes Singaporean so butthurt with expats anyways? He should be butthurt with the pappies).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 9:17 am

PNGMK, he's actually a she with a chip on her shoulder. And yeah, it would be interesting to know why she escaped in the first place. All she's given are opinions as well. Nothing factual either. Of course, like everything else she's said, it only her opinion as well.
Aussiemama, as someone who has given birth in SG before I escaped, I can vouch for some of the best OBs in Singapore, PM me if you need names

This gives us her gender and agenda all in one sentence and her offline solicitation is what can get her busted. I wonder how many times she's given birth here? One has to wonder if she is able to vouch for some of the best OBs. Brood mare?

Funny though, she went from being a Citizen of a Developed (sic!) country to being a PR of a Developed country. Sounds like a step down to me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 1:00 pm

And worse is a PR in the USA... origin of the medical lawsuit and medical bankruptcy....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 2:49 pm

^^^This!

chinsbaby

Post by chinsbaby » Tue, 11 Feb 2020 6:25 pm

Escapedprisoner wrote:
Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:04 am
By the way, “If you had any problems you’d go or be referred to KKH” is nothing more than a pervading rumor in SG that isn’t medically tested. This false rumor stemmed from the fact that SG was barely third world not long ago and most people can’t afford the NICU fees of private hospitals. Those who ended up with premature babies in NICU of private hospitals incurred bills of $30-50k and the rumor then spread “Oh if anything happens you’ll want to be in KK”. It says absolutely nothing about the facilities of the hospitals. Mount E Orchard is one of just 3 hospitals in SG with neonatal NICU Ward thats fit for the top class of emergency neonatal cases (there are three tiers) pertaining to prematurity. All the other hospitals including SGH neonatal ward can serve up to second most serious tier.

Private hospital neonatal can serve the premature care of most situations and the direst situations can be served in Mount E Orchard but it’s just a matter of whether you have the dollars to pay or not.

Besides neonatal I know for a fact that the line “If you had any problems you’d go or be referred to KKH” is all about costs, knowing so many pregnancy cases in SG.

When the case is rare like flesh eating bacteria or defects all the more public hospitals can’t hack it.

Ever heard of fetuses that have poor ultrasound scanning results (heart defect, missing gastric bubble), suspected defects?

Invariably they all go to this obstetrician in Camden Medical who is renowned for his super expensive high tech machine that costs high six almost seven figures that can scan so clearly the doctor can see down to each artery of the fetus’s heart. Yes.

That old guy in his 60s that charges S$650-800 per scan was in NUH a long time ago one of the stars of cos he’s long transited to private.

He’s the only one in SG with that level of skills sub-specializing in scanning within obstetrics. Can find in SG public hospitals? Public hospitals fans can go and find slowly.
Hello, I found your information very helpful and would like to ask you some advice on choosing OB and the hospital in Singapore.
I recently came to Singapore with my Singaporean husband. I do not have PR or citizenship so whether private or public hospital would cost almost the same for me.
I am considering Mount Elizabeth Novena, Mount Alvernia, NUH Women’s Centre and KKH after some online search. My consideration would be based on the doctor, hospital facilities and staff.
I had LEEP surgery before, and has a higher rate of early miscarriage than those who hasn't. I also has rare post-bleeding after surgery before so I need the OB experienced with these rare cases emergency and hope the hospital has enough delivery rooms that would still allow me to have natural birth and not rush into anything unnecessarily. Whether the hospital has the best NICU facilities and if the OB experienced in both emergency and natural birth would also be my considerations.
I heard Mount Elizabeth Novena is newer in the same group of Mount Elizabeth Orchard. But in terms of OB doctors and facilities, Is Mount Elizabeth Orchard better than Novena?
Would you recommend any doctors and hospitals that may most suit my case?
Thank you so much !