Singapore Expats

Data on expat kid population in local schools

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
tommy_arde

Data on expat kid population in local schools

Post by tommy_arde » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 5:13 pm

Hello

Is there any place where one can see the % of non-citizen/PR kids enrolled in a particular local school?
I am trying to gauge the chances of getting admission for my kid into a local school - other than looking at the balloting history (as that doesn't specify residency status & I assume SCs, followed by PRs will always get preference in any phase).

Thanks!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Data on expat kid population in local schools

Post by therat » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 8:22 pm

tommy_arde wrote:Hello

Is there any place where one can see the % of non-citizen/PR kids enrolled in a particular local school?
Not for what I know of
I am trying to gauge the chances of getting admission for my kid into a local school - other than looking at the balloting history (as that doesn't specify residency status & I assume SCs, followed by PRs will always get preference in any phase).

Thanks!
Non-citzen/non-PR only have phase 3 which is the last phase of enrollment.
You only can submit your application but you cannot choose which school you want to enroll.

more information
https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/prima ... t-children

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018 2:31 pm

tommy_arde wrote:Hello

Thanks!
That’s a useless attempt. From this year onward, parents of foreign students can only indicate interest to enrol. There is no choice of school at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms.yang

Post by ms.yang » Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:35 pm

Hi there, sorry but I dont think there is any public info on a particular school's Intl students intaking. However, you ll see the which schools are always left with seats each yr and email them directly to ask. What do you think?
:) In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Kind.

MariaGiovanni

Post by MariaGiovanni » Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:02 am

I think ms yang is right, you should just ask the schools directly? Otherwise I think the % of slots that have been allocated to the earlier rounds can be a gauge, as well as general popularity ratings.

As a foreigner, and if you do not need your child to learn higher chinese, perhaps opt for non SAP schools, those schools are notoriously hard to get into, even as a local.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:28 am

MariaGiovanni wrote:I think ms yang is right, you should just ask the schools directly? Otherwise I think the % of slots that have been allocated to the earlier rounds can be a gauge, as well as general popularity ratings.

As a foreigner, and if you do not need your child to learn higher chinese, perhaps opt for non SAP schools, those schools are notoriously hard to get into, even as a local.
Sorry that’s wrong. Please don’t bother with the local school for these information.

Why?

This is because from this year onwards, foreign students have no right to choose which local school to apply for. Parents can only indicate to MOE the interest to enroll in primary one of local education system. If parents indicate, then MOE will take in the interest with the following outcomes:

1. Assign foreign students to any one of the schools
2. Reject the enrollment

Parents have absolutely 0 control on which school to apply for. No appeal will be entertained. No direct application or approach to local school will be entertained.

MariaGiovanni

Post by MariaGiovanni » Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:34 am

bcheng74 wrote:
MariaGiovanni wrote:I think ms yang is right, you should just ask the schools directly? Otherwise I think the % of slots that have been allocated to the earlier rounds can be a gauge, as well as general popularity ratings.

Sorry that’s wrong. Please don’t bother with the local school for these information.

Why?

This is because from this year onwards, foreign students have no right to choose which local school to apply for. Parents can only indicate to MOE the interest to enroll in primary one of local education system. If parents indicate, then MOE will take in the interest with the following outcomes:

1. Assign foreign students to any one of the schools
2. Reject the enrollment

Parents have absolutely 0 control on which school to apply for. No appeal will be entertained. No direct application or approach to local school will be entertained.

OH NO sorry guys my bad!!! I was speaking from conversations i had with my other expat friends.