Singapore Expats

Baby born oversea - Can apply PR instead of Citizenship for baby?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
super33445

Baby born oversea - Can apply PR instead of Citizenship for baby?

Post by super33445 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 11:45 pm

Hi everyone, feel free to input your comments and knowledge in my situation.

I am a Singapore citizen (male) and wife is a non-citizen/foreigner. We are expecting our first baby coming next year 2019. Currently, I (SC) am residing with my wife in her country (out of Singapore). Our new baby will also be born in my wife's country (out of Singapore). We will be staying at my wife's country (outside Singapore) for the foreseeable future (next 5 to 10 years or more) and my child will attend her education outside of Singapore for business and family reasons.

May I know:
1) Can I (Singapore Citizen) apply my child (born outside of Singapore) to be a Singapore Permanent Resident instead of Singapore Citizen? Are the application procedures straight-forward? Need to bring my child back to Singapore for application?
2) Do I (SC) need to submit salary slips for the application? How many months of salary slips? 12 months?
3) If successfully my baby is granted with Singapore PR, will the 5 years Reentry Permit apply to her? Do I need to renew Re-Entry Permit for her every 5 years since she is only a baby (not working/employed).
4) Will ICA reject my child's re-entry permit when it is expiring after 5 years? Since my child will be attending school outside of Singapore and will live oversea most of the time.
5) Will ICA reject my child's re-entry permit on the basis that my child is not residing in Singapore and father (SC) and mother are both not reside in Singapore?
6) Father is a Singapore Citizen, does my child's re-entry permit be "approved automatically" every 5 years when I renew the re-entry permit for my child? Is there such entitlement/privileged given to the child of a Singapore Citizen?

Feel free to give in your input and thoughts. Appreciate.

super33445

Re: Baby born oversea - Can apply PR instead of Citizenship for baby?

Post by super33445 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 11:46 pm

My child is a baby girl = ) No NS obligation

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 1:55 am

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super33445

Post by super33445 » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 2:11 pm

bcheng74 wrote:No

Hi bcheng74, you mean I (SC) can't apply PR for my child (born oversea)? I must register her to be a Singapore Citizen? May I know where did you get this information? Trying to get more info

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 2:20 pm

super33445 wrote:

Hi bcheng74, you mean I (SC) can't apply PR for my child (born oversea)? I must register her to be a Singapore Citizen? May I know where did you get this information? Trying to get more info
In theory yes foreign child of SC can apply for PR.

However, permanent residents means residents in Singapore. If none of you are residing in Singapore and has no intention to do so, why would ICA want to give you such?

And to your last question, SC parents has no privilege to have automatic REP renewal for their dependent PR.

super33445

Post by super33445 » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 3:33 pm

bcheng74 wrote:
super33445 wrote:

In theory yes foreign child of SC can apply for PR.

However, permanent residents means residents in Singapore. If none of you are residing in Singapore and has no intention to do so, why would ICA want to give you such?

And to your last question, SC parents has no privilege to have automatic REP renewal for their dependent PR.

Hi bcheng74, thanks for your advice.

I am a Singapore Citizen, and it always will be. We are living abroad due to family and business reasons. My wife is a non-Singaporean.

If my child is born oversea (outside of Singapore) to a Singapore father, and if I apply her to be a Singapore Citizen (by descent), she will be holding 2 passports. 1 passport in the country he/she is born, and another passport of Singapore when I apply for her to be a SC.

Will Singapore allow this dual citizenship? Does my child has to make the decision to take Singapore passport or foreign passport (country she is born) upon reaching the age of 18 or 21?

willtryanything

Post by willtryanything » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 4:01 pm

Singapore allows dual citizenship until the child reaches 21.
My girl has dual citizenship and i encounter problems during exiting the foreign country.
Solution Sg gave me is to bring my child's foreign passport to ICA 6th floor to have a Right of Entry stamp applied. Expiry year is her 21st year.
The foreign country told me outright to pick 1 country.

lelem

Post by lelem » Tue, 19 Feb 2019 9:30 am

willtryanything wrote:Singapore allows dual citizenship until the child reaches 21.
My girl has dual citizenship and i encounter problems during exiting the foreign country.
Solution Sg gave me is to bring my child's foreign passport to ICA 6th floor to have a Right of Entry stamp applied. Expiry year is her 21st year.
Is your baby born oversea? If a baby is born in Singapore, parents 1 SC 1 SPR, can the baby hold dual citizenships as well?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:00 am

willtryanything wrote:Singapore allows dual citizenship until the child reaches 21.
That's very helpful info. Thanks.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!