Singapore Expats

Ex PR - Didn't study/live in SG - Now coming over, possible?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
whataboutthis

Ex PR - Didn't study/live in SG - Now coming over, possible?

Post by whataboutthis » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 5:24 pm

I am an ex PR. Got it when I was 5 yrs old, gave it back when I was 17. Throughout the time period I was a PR, I never went to school in Singapore except attending the PAP kindergarten. Or to put it forward more clearly, never 'really' used any of the benefits the government offers or even stayed in Singapore. Now I have an offer to study from a SG uni.
Would it be possible for me to have a student pass keeping my history in view? I would be much thankful If anyone out there could give their perspective on this case? Or perhaps even share anything similar you might have faced and how did you go on about it? Thanks very much.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Ex PR - Didn't study/live in SG - Now coming over, possible?

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 5:27 pm

whataboutthis wrote:I am an ex PR. Got it when I was 5 yrs old, gave it back when I was 17. Throughout the time period I was a PR, I never went to school in Singapore except attending the PAP kindergarten. Or to put it forward more clearly, never 'really' used any of the benefits the government offers or even stayed in Singapore. Now I have an offer to study from a SG uni.
Would it be possible for me to have a student pass keeping my history in view? I would be much thankful If anyone out there could give their perspective on this case? Or perhaps even share anything similar you might have faced and how did you go on about it? Thanks very much.
I assume you are a male, and your parents decided to give up your PR at 17 solely to avoid NS.... if yes then you should know what gahmen thinks about you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whataboutthis

Post by whataboutthis » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 5:37 pm

Yes, in all honesty, that was done to avoid NS. To reiterate, the only point of discussion is would my case be any different considering I didn't really study or reap any other benefits so to say. Does the government look at each individual from this POV? The POV being how long did one stay and study.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 6:31 pm

whataboutthis wrote:Yes, in all honesty, that was done to avoid NS. To reiterate, the only point of discussion is would my case be any different considering I didn't really study or reap any other benefits so to say. Does the government look at each individual from this POV? The POV being how long did one stay and study.
Having the right to stay in SG freely for so long is already a benefit, not to mention other benefits that your parents have enjoyed.

In ICA’s approval, the consequence of not serving NS is clearly stated. There is no provision for those who think they have not enjoyed benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:20 am

If you were a PR after the age of 11, then you would have been deemed to have used the socio-economic benefits offered by the country, even if you are a PR and didn't go to school in the local school system. That is one of the 'traps' laid by the Government. You or your parents have screwed you royally. Sad part is that they aren't suffering, only you are. Are your parents still PRs?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:37 am

You can apply and try. There is a gap deliberately left in the system for people of suitable talent or merit to squeeze through, (there is no outright ban, each application is judged on it's merit AFAIK - the wording is:- "Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore" ). Let us know please if you succeed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

whataboutthis

Post by whataboutthis » Wed, 11 Jul 2018 2:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:You can apply and try. There is a gap deliberately left in the system for people of suitable talent or merit to squeeze through, (there is no outright ban, each application is judged on it's merit AFAIK - the wording is:- "Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore" ). Let us know please if you succeed.
Could you please share any such cases where the government showed some slack with applicants? That quote is exactly the point on which I started this discussion!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 8:07 am

No. Whatever I know is from Google etc and I doubt a y cares that got through that gap have publicised their success.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!