Singapore Expats Forum

What are my chances for Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Savatage

What are my chances for Singapore Citizenship

Post by Savatage » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 3:05 am

Dear everyone,

I’m a newbie here and I would like to seek your advice regarding my chance of getting Singapore Citizenship. I have been residing in Singapore for 11 years and below is my profile:

9 years as PR, since 2009
Post Graduate from local Uni in 2008
Monthly salary: $6,200
Nationality: preferred not to say :oops: - one of the ASEAN countries but not in the majority groups of Malaysian, Filipino, Indonesian, Burmese
Age 39, turning 40 this year end
Single Male

I did try to apply in early 2015 when there was still a pre-assessment system at ICA that they would tell you on the spot whether you stand a chance. It was just after my first renewal of REP and my salary was $5,600 and the counter lady told me my application wouldn’t be successful.

I am about to renew my second REP early next year and I’m thinking of applying for citizenship again within these few months.

What would you think about my possibility of getting the approval? Would my age, income, or being single be unfavorable factors against me?

I would really like to settle down here as I bought a property for myself 2 years ago. Not sure if that would help.

Thanks beforehand :-"
Last edited by Savatage on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: What are my chances for Singapore Citizenship

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 6:43 am

Our opinion doesn't really matter. If you want to try, do.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Savatage

Post by Savatage » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 9:22 am

Thanks for your quick reply..

Would an applicant nowadays get rejected almost immediately or all applications would go through months of processing? I know it happens that people would wait for a year or more only to know it’s unsuccessful. However is it a norm, or it’s usually much faster to know the result if one doesn’t even meet ICA’s criteria, not the minimum criteria made known to the public.

Thanks

mystic_river
Regular
Regular

Post by mystic_river » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 3:55 pm

Savatage wrote:Thanks for your quick reply..

Would an applicant nowadays get rejected almost immediately or all applications would go through months of processing? I know it happens that people would wait for a year or more only to know it’s unsuccessful. However is it a norm, or it’s usually much faster to know the result if one doesn’t even meet ICA’s criteria, not the minimum criteria made known to the public.

Thanks
It will go through the whole process of 12-18 months even if you don’t meet the ICA criteria. I was in the same situation as you, tried to apply in 2013 and application wasn’t even accepted because pay was too low. I just applied back in April and it’s still processing so I presume it’ll go though the whole process before I find out

Savatage

Post by Savatage » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 6:17 pm

mystic_river wrote:
Savatage wrote:Thanks for your quick reply..

Thanks
It will go through the whole process of 12-18 months even if you don’t meet the ICA criteria. I was in the same situation as you, tried to apply in 2013 and application wasn’t even accepted because pay was too low. I just applied back in April and it’s still processing so I presume it’ll go though the whole process before I find out
Thanks for sharing. Were you married when you first applied in 2013? Is celibacy a disadvantage considering that the household income is lower and no fertility contribution?