Singapore Expats

Insurance - Moving from Expat to Local WHILE pregnant

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
bec010

Insurance - Moving from Expat to Local WHILE pregnant

Post by bec010 » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 10:35 am

Hi team,
Weird situation... my husband's expat contract and associated expat health insurance is going to wrap up earlier than originally planned (cost cutting, grrrr) and we are looking to transfer onto a local contract with his company. Unfortunately this means that our wonderful CIGNA international expat health insurance will wrap up in December.
We have been trying to get pregnant and now I'm worried that while the OBGYN fees will be covered while on the expat insurance, what happens with delivery fees etc.? If I switch onto a new health insurance policy halfway through my pregnancy, I understand that in Singapore I'd technically have to re-serve waiting periods (unlike in Australia where your coverage would continue based on previous coverage). Any ideas on how to get around this? E.g. Could we prepay our maternity package while still covered under the old plan?
Thanks!!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Insurance - Moving from Expat to Local WHILE pregnant

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 2:01 pm

Delay getting pregnant? Return to Australia to give birth? No other way comes to mind and yes, if things go wrong it can be horribly expensive here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 11:02 pm

Depends where you intend to deliver in Singapore, some places are cheaper than others.

If the local package suffices, then just pay the cash. If not, perhaps you need to rethink your first choice delivery options at Gleneagles or Mt E.

Doubt any insurance company will want to take any future risk if they can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

expatfamily18

Post by expatfamily18 » Sat, 27 Oct 2018 2:56 pm

You should talk to Cigna to see if you can transfer your current plan, maybe even talk to a broker who might be able to help you ?

kuhadv

Post by kuhadv » Mon, 11 Feb 2019 5:10 pm

Hello dear,
How did you manage this situation with insurance ?pl do share your view on this.

bec010 wrote:Hi team,
Weird situation... my husband's expat contract and associated expat health insurance is going to wrap up earlier than originally planned (cost cutting, grrrr) and we are looking to transfer onto a local contract with his company. Unfortunately this means that our wonderful CIGNA international expat health insurance will wrap up in December.
We have been trying to get pregnant and now I'm worried that while the OBGYN fees will be covered while on the expat insurance, what happens with delivery fees etc.? If I switch onto a new health insurance policy halfway through my pregnancy, I understand that in Singapore I'd technically have to re-serve waiting periods (unlike in Australia where your coverage would continue based on previous coverage). Any ideas on how to get around this? E.g. Could we prepay our maternity package while still covered under the old plan?
Thanks!!!

3carlos

Post by 3carlos » Fri, 17 May 2019 1:53 am

Depending on your company provider, they may allow you to port the plan (make it a personal plan). If they do, then you shouldn't have an issue with the maternity waiting period.

Otherwise, you can solve the issue by buying your own maternity cover (10-12 months waiting period will apply).