Singapore Expats

Background check question

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Maxturner

Background check question

Post by Maxturner » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 6:26 am

Is it legal for companies or their 3rd party agencies in Singapore to ask previous companies if you are eligible for rehire as part of the background check? I know this is sometimes common practice in the US.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Background check question

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 8:26 am

Pretty much anything seems to be done here. Legality is another question.... (i.e. to sue you'd need to show damages which is hard here). Is there something specific in your background check that might come up? For what it's worth the smarter MNC's here only answer questions about how long you worked at a place as 'restriction of trade' and defamation are actual issues here (and have been proven and won in court - google the case about the insurance broker who won MILLIONS because his former boss at Prudential had a hard on for him).

If you have something blazingly bad in your background I'd get in front of it ("I was dismissed from Microsoft because I distributed their source code for Windows accidentally, rather than on purpose as they alleged in the lawsuit") rather than leaving it as a lying dog to be tripped over.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Maxturner

Post by Maxturner » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 8:45 am

Thanks. Basically I really didn’t get along with my manager and I resigned.

Would a large global tech company based in Singapore ask the eligibility question through a 3rd party checking agency? I read that these checking companies only offer that in the US as part of their overall service.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 2:03 pm

I personally don't think the checkbox "Do not re-hire" counts much. HRM and recruiters are aware of the vindictive nature of former bosses. I think perhaps if you're concerned set up a fishing expedition and find a friend in a potential company to request a referral from your former employer....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!