Singapore Expats

Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
ghostpom12

Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Post by ghostpom12 » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 12:08 pm

Anyone using a proper water filters here ? We been doing some research and bought Berkey Waterfilters few weeks ago as they are best rated and can last for up to 11 years. xxxxxxxxx and now the water is great. USA made systems but shipped out from UK. Just wanted to see what others are using or not using.?? The tap water here is drinkable but not good enough i think.
All the best. Arnold & Risha

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Post by bgd » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 2:03 pm

Tap water here is fine, don't need a filter.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 4:51 pm

ghostpom12

Educate yourself instead of sounding silly to those of us who have been here for donkey's years.

https://www.mewr.gov.sg/docs/default-so ... nexes).pdf
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 10:06 pm

Some of the best water to be found anywhere.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 10:47 pm

Err. On I have a 1 micron filter system I bought up from Australia. I change the filter yearly. There has been debris on the dirty side of the filter and the taste is far better, enough that we can tell when the filter needs changing. I recommend a filter as a backup at least to some idiot fouling the lines.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

xiaoCurry

Post by xiaoCurry » Wed, 04 Jul 2018 2:33 pm

U can try espring water filter is good.

Pennykee

Post by Pennykee » Wed, 18 Jul 2018 4:24 pm

I didn't use water filter, just boil the water only. Maybe you can try Cuckoo. I heard from my friends that this is good.

Aliana.H

Post by Aliana.H » Thu, 19 Jul 2018 4:29 pm

I was thinking you wear asking for the filter for the outdoors. Well, the water here is good enough to drink, just boil it. I haven't used the filter, I'm in doubt that the devices are not safe after a long-time running, there would be bacterial growth. If you still worry about the water quality, you can order bottled mineral water.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jul 2018 6:15 pm

If you think the water here is good enough to drink, then why do you boil it? Hmmmmm?

Or, it is because 'here' for you is Hong Kong?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:31 am

i prefer my water from the tap. boiling it is really a waste of energy (and money).
singapore tap water is so clean!

don't bother abt all those filters and claims of water machines. all sales talks i feel.

good old water from the tap (in singapore context) is the best!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 9:48 am

^^ - exactly

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 3:39 pm

The water is claimed to be safe after treated but you can’t guarantee the water pipes. I absolutely can’t imagine how filthy and old the water pipes are in the typical HDB estate since most are above 30-40 years because I live in an estate that’s only 10 years old and water that came out of a leaked pipe in our bathroom was dark brown from the iron. Also Singapore’s water is treated with chloromine.

I use Berkey filter from the US and the water tastes different after had all the metals as well as chlorine from it removed.
Last edited by Escapedprisoner on Mon, 30 Jul 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnageb18

Post by jnageb18 » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 5:16 pm

yep yep water from the tap is safe to drink. in fact the public utilities board actually discourages using filtration devices http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/pub/mobile/index ... ldoc/34004

but when Im outside in public places, I wouldnt be so inclined to drink from taps considering the cleanliness of certain places....

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 5:37 pm

jnageb18 wrote:yep yep water from the tap is safe to drink. in fact the public utilities board actually discourages using filtration devices http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/pub/mobile/index ... ldoc/34004

but when Im outside in public places, I wouldnt be so inclined to drink from taps considering the cleanliness of certain places....
First of all, HDB pipings are typically many times older than the pipes in the CBD which are regularly replaced since the city area is dug out ever so often with buildings being demolished and new buildings coming up all the time.

Second of all, if you buy those big bulky Asian brand filters that look like a box yes they tend to breed bacteria. The Berkey purifier system is just a simple flask and all bacteria and viruses are removed from the filter through a micro filtration process. It’s small and easy to monitor. Not many places for bacteria to breed since any bacteria is removed by the purifier itself. https://theberkey.com/blogs/water-filte ... ments-work

Also, stop pasting gov issued links as justification for water safety. Some of us are not raised in countries where the gov is the be-all and end-all.

jnageb18

Post by jnageb18 » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 5:59 pm

Escapedprisoner wrote:
jnageb18 wrote:yep yep water from the tap is safe to drink. in fact the public utilities board actually discourages using filtration devices http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/pub/mobile/index ... ldoc/34004

First of all, HDB pipings are typically many times older than the pipes in the CBD which are regularly replaced since the city area is dug out ever so often with buildings being demolished and new buildings coming up all the time.

Second of all, if you buy those big bulky Asian brand filters that look like a box yes they tend to breed bacteria. The Berkey purifier system is just a simple flask and all bacteria and viruses are removed from the filter through a micro filtration process. It’s small and easy to monitor. Not many places for bacteria to breed since any bacteria is removed by the purifier itself. https://theberkey.com/blogs/water-filte ... ments-work

Also, stop pasting gov issued links as justification for water safety. Some of us are not raised in countries where the gov is the be-all and end-all.
thank you for the thesis mate.