Singapore Expats

Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
archcherub
Regular
Regular

Re: Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Post by archcherub » Sun, 12 Aug 2018 1:16 am

i think a lot of fear are created by companies selling stuff :(

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 12:12 am

Water from the faucet in Singapore is generally safe to drink. In spite of this, my family uses AOX water filtration system because it is supposed to act as an additional filter while introducing antioxidants into the water. I’m not sure how effective it is but it certainly puts our minds at ease.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 12:42 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 03 Jul 2018 10:47 pm
Err. On I have a 1 micron filter system I bought up from Australia. I change the filter yearly. There has been debris on the dirty side of the filter and the taste is far better, enough that we can tell when the filter needs changing. I recommend a filter as a backup at least to some idiot fouling the lines.
I’m with you. I trust the water from the source, but the tanks, pipes & fittings in my 1970’s condo... hmmm.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 1:06 pm

Maybe I'm just hardcore. Been here 38 years now. First 15 in 50 year old Black & Whites in Seletar Camp. Balance have been in an HDB built in the mid 1980's. No noticeable health issues. WHO says Singapore water is among the best in the world and much better than the vast majority of cities in the US as well. Keep drinking the koolaid folks, the MFG company's scare tactics are working wonders.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:23 pm

I would never drink “city water” in the US, period. Walmart refill by the gallon is an easy/cheap solution. However, at my parents house in the sticks, the well water is amazing.

Incidentally, my family and all drink tap water here in Singapore... in spite of my leery feelings about our condo plumbing. The water does smell off at times, but no ill effects yet - fingers crossed!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Thu, 03 Dec 2020 10:36 am

I have been drinking tap water since arriving in Singapore 20 years ago. The rest of my family boils tap water before drinking and I find that it has an aftertaste.

iamnotlame

Post by iamnotlame » Thu, 03 Dec 2020 10:09 pm

Out of habit, my family and I drink boiled tap water. It indeed has an aftertaste if not cold.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 04 Dec 2020 4:50 pm

I drink from the water dispenser from my fridge and I guess the pipes are not that new..won't want to think about how dirty and rusty they are..They taste alright though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Dec 2020 12:13 am

You do realize that rust is oxidized Iron. The body can used iron, this is a good thing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Jan 2021 12:29 am

The tapwater here is safe to drink unlike overseas. My family and I used to use AOX water filters- was supposed to infuse the water with antioxidants but we’re not sure if it was actually effective. Thinking back it was probably a waste of money. Don’t really think you need a filter.

jptsr1

Post by jptsr1 » Thu, 04 Feb 2021 5:45 pm

We use bottled water for drinking, cooking and ice. Just our preference. The water is fine here though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:33 pm

That must be quite a hassle to have to constantly run to the store to make sure you have enough water. Not to mention the absurd amount of plastic waste it must create.

jptsr1

Post by jptsr1 » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:45 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:33 pm
That must be quite a hassle to have to constantly run to the store to make sure you have enough water. Not to mention the absurd amount of plastic waste it must create.
Not at all, groceries are delivered. I don’t have to “run to the store” for anything.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 9:36 pm

I have to admit that I drank only bottled water for many years in Singapore, an old habit I brought over from the US (where city water just tastes nasty and is very questionable health-wise). I just assumed Singapore tap water was also questionable after I tasted it (and let’s be clear - it does taste a bit off), but eventually I just learned to ignore the taste and deal with it. To be honest, it doesn’t taste nearly as bad as most city water in the US.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:14 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 9:36 pm
I have to admit that I drank only bottled water for many years in Singapore, an old habit I brought over from the US (where city water just tastes nasty and is very questionable health-wise). I just assumed Singapore tap water was also questionable after I tasted it (and let’s be clear - it does taste a bit off), but eventually I just learned to ignore the taste and deal with it. To be honest, it doesn’t taste nearly as bad as most city water in the US.
Same here. When I first moved from Miami, I expected the water to taste a little funky and so I only drank water from bottles and had a filter installed. It’s been nearly 20 years since I first moved here, and I’ve definitely gotten used to the taste of the water. Now I actually think it taste quite good, I’ve stopped drinking only bottled water, and am fine drinking from the tap.