Singapore Expats

Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Drinking water in Singapore ? Water filters

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:15 pm

jptsr1 wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:45 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 8:33 pm
That must be quite a hassle to have to constantly run to the store to make sure you have enough water. Not to mention the absurd amount of plastic waste it must create.
Not at all, groceries are delivered. I don’t have to “run to the store” for anything.
Do what suits you, but I just don’t see the point in paying for something that should be close to free.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:32 pm

As I moved here from bayou country in the US, I just drank the water as it flowed from 70 year old pipes in Seletar Camp Black & Whites. Always tasted fine compared to the bayou sewage I was used to in Louisiana. I've never been a fan of bottled water. And as Mal can attest to, I'm not doing to bad for my 73 years. Ain't hurt me none! In fact, it's probably the reason I don't have any digestive issues (cast iron stomach I've been told).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 1:03 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:14 pm
Same here. When I first moved from Miami, I expected the water to taste a little funky and so I only drank water from bottles and had a filter installed. It’s been nearly 20 years since I first moved here, and I’ve definitely gotten used to the taste of the water. Now I actually think it taste quite good, I’ve stopped drinking only bottled water, and am fine drinking from the tap.
Unfortunately I’ve got taste buds that are not adaptive at all, so I will never be able to really appreciate the taste of water here. The taste has changed little from when I arrived 24 years ago.

On the other hand, my wife and kids are so used to the water here, they think the tap water tastes great. So much so that when we visit my parents who live deep in the woods and drink the well water (which tastes amazing, similar to Evian) they think it tastes horrible! I think it’s mostly psychological.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 1:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:32 pm
As I moved here from bayou country in the US, I just drank the water as it flowed from 70 year old pipes in Seletar Camp Black & Whites. Always tasted fine compared to the bayou sewage I was used to in Louisiana. I've never been a fan of bottled water. And as Mal can attest to, I'm not doing to bad for my 73 years. Ain't hurt me none! In fact, it's probably the reason I don't have any digestive issues (cast iron stomach I've been told).
I’d say going from bayou sewage to NEWater is a big step up!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:33 am

I can tell when the filter in my house needs changing.

I use one of these.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stefani-und ... r_p5090103
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:15 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 1:04 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:32 pm
I’d say going from bayou sewage to NEWater is a big step up!
I can’t say much about bayou sewage, but I personally find NEWater disgusting. Its the most artificial, chemical tasting water I’ve ever had. Seriously undrinkable. I appreciate the environmental sustainability, but I would only use the water to water my plants.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:24 pm

You have been drinking it for some time now as the excess they make over the electronics industries needs (virtually sterile) are pumped into the reservoirs with the catchment waters so it can be made less sterile for human consumption. Or it used to be when NEWater wasn't in financial troubles.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers