Singapore Expats

(What would happen?) Breaking lease early without any diplomatic clause

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ivanrakitic88

(What would happen?) Breaking lease early without any diplomatic clause

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018 6:02 pm

Hi everyone, I just recently signed a one-year contract with min. stay of eight months to rent a one-room condo but upon staying for a week, I couldn't bare the sound or noise from the road traffic and MRT track just 30-40m outside the property. I had sleepless nights and it really has affected my mental health and well-being. I had a history of sleeping trouble (and have a tinnitus too) and I am always more sensitive to noise. The problem is, I didn't add any diplomatic clause at all as I am very new to this (just recently moved to Singapore) and quite reckless. When I came in a few times to view the room, I noticed the MRT track and road traffic but didn't really pay attention to the noise coming out from it. It only bothers me on my first night when I tried to sleep.

Have anyone ever experience of breaking the lease early in good terms with the landlord? I am willing to give up the one month security deposit (despite having stayed for not more than a month) but I would like to know the possible likely scenarios. So far when I deal with the landlord, she is quite nice and accommodating. She allowed me to store some of my stuff and move in a week earlier before the lease started. Thank you all for the advice! Really appreciate it.

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: (What would happen?) Breaking lease early without any diplomatic clause

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 02 Jul 2018 6:18 pm

Urrggh - noise is such an issue here. I suspect you'll need to cover the period while she looks for a new tenant as well as a break fee. Either that or just run away. Nothing much will happen apart from lost deposit.

I would recommend visiting your next apartment AT NIGHT and sitting in the room for 30 mins. Let your ears adjust. Turn off the ambient music they play to mask the sounds and tape the agents mouth shut (leave a gap for them to breathe).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ivanrakitic88

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018 9:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:Urrggh - noise is such an issue here. I suspect you'll need to cover the period while she looks for a new tenant as well as a break fee. Either that or just run away. Nothing much will happen apart from lost deposit.

I would recommend visiting your next apartment AT NIGHT and sitting in the room for 30 mins. Let your ears adjust. Turn off the ambient music they play to mask the sounds and tape the agents mouth shut (leave a gap for them to breathe).

ivanrakitic88

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018 9:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:Urrggh - noise is such an issue here. I suspect you'll need to cover the period while she looks for a new tenant as well as a break fee.
What is a break fee and that entirely depends on the landlord’s decision right? I just met the landlord and she told me she needs to consult with her agent as she claimed she hasn’t really read through the TA. I’m afraid the agent would ask her to demand more from me. As I said I’m prepared to forfeit the deposit but if she wants me to pay for her agent too then I think it’s a bit too much?
PNGMK wrote:Either that or just run away. Nothing much will happen apart from lost deposit.

Run away? Has anyone actually done that? The landlord can sue you right? Just curious on the consequence. That is not an option for me. I will bear the responsbility and own up to it.

Yeah when I viewed the unit I already gave a liking to its layout, the cleanliness and the privacy of a one-bedroom studio. Didn’t pay much attention to the noise from outside. And yeah the agents kept talking so it didn’t help either. Lesson learned really..

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 7:30 am

The agent and LL will want to not be out of pocket. That's up to your negotiating skills and the Tenancy Agreement.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 9:06 am

Just a note here, even if you had a diplomatic clause it would not likely help you in this situation. Diplomatic clauses are generally only applicable when your job requires you to leave the country and usually can only be applied after certain period. In my 2 year lease it's after 1 year so for a 1 year lease probably after 6 months.

Otherwise what PNGMK said. If you know anyone else looking for a place at the moment being able to offer the LL a replacement tenant might make them more amenable.

Mike

ivanrakitic88

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks both for the replies.

My agent already offered to look for a replacement tenant but seems like the rental demand is not very high at the moment and especially in this condo there are already several other empty rooms which have been listed for rent for months. The units in this condo are actually quite great if not for its proximity to the MRT track and main road. For those deep sleepers like my friend who live two floors above me, this is not an issue at all for him and he found this place to be very homey and comfortable. The rental price in this condo is also relatively cheaper than that of other one-bedroom units which are still within walking distance to the MRT. The mistake that I made was making a rush decision to take the room and sign the TA without really paying attention to the noise!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 3:17 pm

ivanrakitic88 wrote:Thanks both for the replies.

My agent already offered to look for a replacement tenant but seems like the rental demand is not very high at the moment and especially in this condo there are already several other empty rooms which have been listed for rent for months. The units in this condo are actually quite great if not for its proximity to the MRT track and main road. For those deep sleepers like my friend who live two floors above me, this is not an issue at all for him and he found this place to be very homey and comfortable. The rental price in this condo is also relatively cheaper than that of other one-bedroom units which are still within walking distance to the MRT. The mistake that I made was making a rush decision to take the room and sign the TA without really paying attention to the noise!
Consider earplugs. They are very effective and comfortable enough to carry on with them for months or whatever it takes you to find a replacement tenant.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Jul 2018 4:36 pm

See this page....
http://www.noisestopsystems.sg/products ... fabric.php

Specifically the last three items on the page.

NoiseBlock 'Universal Studios' Acoustical Soundproofing Curtain
NoiseBlock 'LTA' Soundproofing Curtain (2)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ivanrakitic88

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Wed, 04 Jul 2018 3:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:See this page....
http://www.noisestopsystems.sg/products ... fabric.php

Specifically the last three items on the page.

NoiseBlock 'Universal Studios' Acoustical Soundproofing Curtain
NoiseBlock 'LTA' Soundproofing Curtain (2)
Thanks for this recommendation. It's good for future reference.

Landlord has already installed quite a thick curtain on the bedroom (not on the living room) but I'm not sure if that is LTA 'certified' or not. What I'm certain is the window and the window frame are not thick and strong at all. I also feel they are not very tightly sealed. Don't want to ask the landlord to install the curtain because I believe it will not solve the problem and will just force me to stay here after requesting it to her. It's my four nights now and I haven't adjusted to the sound of MRT at all. I'm even thinking of booking a hotel room for this weekend just for a 1 or 2 good nights sleep.

ivanrakitic88

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Wed, 04 Jul 2018 3:57 pm

x9200 wrote:Consider earplugs. They are very effective and comfortable enough to carry on with them for months or whatever it takes you to find a replacement tenant.
Any recommendation for good effective earplugs? I've tried some cheap foam earplugs and just bought silicone earplugs from Watson's but I didn't find them to be effective. I don't get used to sleeping with something in my ears. It's not comfortable and the ear plugs would just pop out now and then.

ahde

Post by ahde » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 6:24 am

I am coming to work in Singapore in a month and therefore going through this website searching for info. My company is providing me with a Service Apartment for the first month and I have to look for an apartment after that. I am not sure if I can help but if you think I can, let me have details of your apartment, its location and the rent so that I can consider taking over the TA. My office is at Scotts Road near Newton MRT. I prefer a place a few stations away from it with easy access to MRT and within a good community and lots of amenities.