Singapore Expats

(What would happen?) Breaking lease early without any diplomatic clause

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ivanrakitic88

(What would happen?) Breaking lease early without any diplomatic clause

Post by ivanrakitic88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018 10:53 am

Hi I just recently signed a one-year contract with min. stay of eight months to rent a one-room condo but upon staying for a week, I couldn't bare the sound or noise from the road traffic and MRT track just 30-40m outside the property. I had sleepless nights and it really has affected my mental health and well-being. I had a history of sleeping trouble (and have a tinnitus too) and I am always more sensitive to noise. The problem is, I didn't add any diplomatic clause at all as I am very new to this (just recently moved to Singapore) and quite reckless. When I came in a few times to view the room, I noticed the MRT track and road traffic but didn't really pay attention to the noise coming out from it. It only bothers me on my first night when I tried to sleep.

Have anyone ever experience of breaking the lease early in good terms with the landlord? I am willing to give up the one month security deposit (despite having stayed for not more than a month) but I would like to know the possible likely scenarios. So far when I deal with the landlord, she is quite nice and accommodating. She allowed me to store some of my stuff and move in a week earlier before the lease started. Thank you all for the advice! Really appreciate it.